Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Michael Vick reinstated by Commissioner Goodell

Angry Michael Vick reinstated by Commissioner Goodell

Goodell conditionally reinstates Vick to NFL

Associated Press

add this RSS blog email print
    Updated: July 27, 2009, 4:57 PM EDT

NEW YORK (AP) - Michael Vick was reinstated by NFL commissioner Roger Goodell on Monday and could play in regular-season games as early as October.

Vick can immediately participate in preseason practices, workouts and meetings and can play in the final two preseason games if he can find a team that will sign him. A number of teams have already said they would not.

"Needless to say, your margin for error is extremely limited," Goodell said in a letter to Vick. "I urge you to take full advantage of the resources available to support you and to dedicate yourself to rebuilding your life and your career. If you do this, the NFL will support you."

Goodell suspended Vick indefinitely in August 2007 after the former Atlanta Falcons quarterback admitted bankrolling the "Bad Newz Kennels" dogfighting operation. Goodell said then that Vick must show remorse and signs that he has changed before he would consider reinstating him.

"I accept that you are sincere when you say that you want to, and will, turn your life around, and that you intend to be a positive role model for others," Goodell added. "I am prepared to offer you that opportunity. Whether you succeed is entirely in your hands."

Once the season begins, Vick may participate in all team activities except games, and Goodell said he would consider Vick for full reinstatement by Week 6 (Oct. 18-19).

Goodell called a news conference for late Monday afternoon.

"I would like to express my sincere gratitude and appreciation to commissioner Goodell for allowing me to be readmitted to the National Football League," Vick said through agent Joel Segal. "I fully understand that playing football in the NFL is a privilege, not a right, and I am truly thankful for the opportunity I have been given.

"As you can imagine, the last two years have given me time to re-evaluate my life, mature as an individual and fully understand the terrible mistakes I have made in the past and what type of life I must lead moving forward.

"Again, I want to thank the commissioner for the chance to return to the game I love and the opportunity to become an example of positive change."

The announcement came after a busy first week of freedom for Vick, who met with union leaders and Goodell on consecutive days last week. His 23-month federal sentence ended when an electronic monitor was removed from his ankle early on July 20 at his home in Hampton, Va.

He met with DeMaurice Smith, executive director of the NFL Players Association, last Tuesday and, on Wednesday, he sat down with Goodell at a security firm in Allendale, N.J.

But his issues are far from over. Already, the owners of the New York Giants and New York Jets said they have no interest in the 29-year-old quarterback, who once was the league's highest-paid player.

Vick needs to find a team so he can get himself out of financial ruin. He filed for bankruptcy protection last July, listing assets of about $16 million and debts of more than $20 million, and has a hearing about his plan to repay his creditors on Friday in Norfolk, Va. That plan is built around his ability to make NFL-type money again.

He's unlikely to command anything close to the 10-year, $130 million contract he once had with the Falcons, or to get endorsement deals after the grisly details of his involvement in the dogfighting ring.
    Vick finally pleaded guilty after his three co-defendants had already done so. They told of how Vick participated in the killing of dogs that didn't perform well in test fights by shooting, hanging, drowning or slamming them to the ground.

Vick's appearances at federal court in Richmond, Va., all came with large groups of protestors outside. Many were with PETA and held signs depicting photographs of Pit Bulls ravaged in dogfights and decrying the brutality in the gruesome details that emerged in the case.

A smaller group came to show support for Vick wearing jerseys with his No. 7.

Vick has already taken some steps to begin rebuilding his image and showing remorse.

He met with the president of the Humane Society of the United States while serving the first 18 months of his federal sentence in the prison at Leavenworth, Kan. He plans to work with HSUS in a program designed to steer inner city youth away from dogfighting. He was not permitted to work with the program while in custody. "It's been a long process," Segal said. "He's thrilled for the opportunity to resume his playing career. He understands he has a lot to prove."
    I just know some desperate douche is going to sign him, and it will just cause trouble because a lot of players don't want to work with him. Dumbasses.
    Last edited by greysfang; July 27th, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Prays to the football gods let it be the cowboys and then let lightning strike his ass while he is playing
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Not a shock. It was going to happen. Although I do give Goodell credit, he does come down harder on these knucklehead players better than Tagliabue did.

But the Giants better not sign Vick. Hmm, but I know there's ONE team in the NFL that loves being a halfway house for troubled players.

Oh yes, you're right. Since they got rid of Messica Simpson, they really do need Michael Vick.

But I can't help but dream he gets picked up by the Chargers...
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

^^No, not the Chargers!! I don't like football, but I don't want this fucker that close to me!!

Somewhere Jerry Jones is preparing another rack and adding a tray in the mess hall of his low security facility for wayward athletes.

But, maybe the Lions or Raiders will get to him first!

Just as predicted by yours truly.

Anyone would have known he would be back in prime time baby, it was "only" dogs! Don't let the false modesty from the NFL teams fool anyone, all of them are chomping at the bit to sign him. He still does have ability and most important of all, street cred and popularity (or notoriety) to sell tickets.

The healing is complete, let the endorsements come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Oh yes, you're right. Since they got rid of Messica Simpson, they really do need Michael Vick.

But I can't help but dream he gets picked up by the Chargers...
    I didn't even have to mention the Cowboys. The term 'halfway house' was enough of a description. What does that say about Dallas' rep?

Wait whoa whoa whoa.....

NOT THE COWBOYS?????

Come on now. A fucking dog killer?? No...please.

^^Jones will take anybody he thinks can get him another SB ring before his wrinkled old ass ends his season. He'd hire Satan if he had a high QB rating.

i think Al Davis is just warped enough to sign this bastard to the Raiders.

After all, they are used to people booing them.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

As a Michigan resident and someone who works close enough to the Lions' practice facility to spit on it occasionally, I must award the Oscar for Most Boos to the Lions. Should Michael Vick end up here (God forbid, and we just had our own version of a dog crisis here recently), the noise factor would remain "same shit, different day".

Well, we don't need a QB...
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

This guy is a piece of shit

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    Well, we don't need a QB...
    Saints don't either my team is safe hee hee
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information