Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attractiveness, not ranking, a deciding factor in who plays Centre Court at Wimbledon

Default Attractiveness, not ranking, a deciding factor in who plays Centre Court at Wimbledon

Babe, set and match! Looks count for more than talent when they decide which girls will play on Wimbledon's Centre Court
    By Colin Fernandez and Emily Andrews
    Last updated at 12:24 AM on 29th June 2009

When it comes to choosing which women play on Centre Court, good looks count for more than big shots.

While a succession of easy-on-the-eye unknowns have appeared in Wimbledon's prime arena, the top women's seeds have been relegated to lesser courts.

And last night the All England Club admitted that physical attractiveness is taken into consideration. Spokesman Johnny Perkins said: 'Good looks are a factor.'

The unseeded world No 45, Gisela Dulko, during last week's Battle of the Babes

In the men's tournament, five-times winner Roger Federer and British hope Andy Murray invariably play on Centre.

But on Friday, after Federer left the court, the next match was Victoria Azarenka of Belarus against Romania's Sorana Cirstea.

While both 19-year-olds have top form in the glamour department, Miss Cirstea was seeded 28 while Miss Azarenka, who won, is ranked and seeded eighth.

That same day, second seed Serena Williams was relegated to the new No 2 Court for her win over Italian Roberta Vinci.

Centre: World No 59 Maria Kirilenko of Russia

Centre: No 28 seed Sorana Cirstea of Romania

The fact that many seats remained empty for the Cirstea-Azarenka clash implies that the knowledgeable SW19 crowd were underwhelmed by the tennis on offer.

Which would suggest that attractive players are placed on Centre to titillate the BBC television audience, some of whom care more for a pretty face than a powerful forehand.

A BBC source said: 'It's the Wimbledon play committee, not us who decides on the order of play.

'But obviously it's advantageous to us if there are good-looking women players on Centre Court. No one has heard of many of the women now, so if they are pretty it definitely gives them an edge.

'Our preference would always be a Brit or a babe as this always delivers high viewing figures.'

On Wednesday, Centre delivered exactly that - the so-called Battle of the Babes between unseeded Gisela Dulko (world ranking 45) and unseeded Maria Sharapova (ranking 60).

Then on Thursday ninth seed Caroline Wozniacki defeated Russian Maria Kirilenko, 59 in the world, on Centre while No 1 seed Dinara Safina was downgraded to an outer court.

Miss Safina, 23, said: 'I mean of course it's not fair, but then I'm not doing the schedule.'

French Open champion Svetlana Kuznetsova, 24, was also annoyed. The fifth seed, who was knocked out on Saturday on No 1 Court, said: 'It's weird. If you look at the schedule, it's not only about me.

'It's about Dinara on Court No 2, Venus (Williams) on Court No 1 and the girls who are not very highly seeded they play on Centre.

'I respect them. They're great players for sure. But this is what's weird for me; what's their strategy, what's their plan of making the schedule?

No 2 seed Serena Williams of the U.S.

'This is what surprises me a little bit.' Twice champion Serena Williams even got lost on the way to No 2 Court on Friday. She was nearly ten minutes late for her match.

Court 2: No 1 seed Dinara Safina of Russia

Court 1: No 5 seed Svetlana Kuznetsova of Russia

Johnny Perkins said court selection is 'a great big mixture of where the players are in the draw, who they're playing, what their ranking is.

But at the end of the day, box-office appeal has to be taken into consideration.

'It's not a coincidence that those (on Centre Court) are attractive.'

Babe, set and match! Looks count for more than talent when they decide which girls will play on Centre Court | Mail Online

Are they sure she's a woman? Because she looks like a dude in a dress.

i am a woman and i'd rather watch an attractive woman play center court. Svetlana is really not a looker lol.

but what about the men?

Radek Stepanek is one of the ugliest guys on the tour, but has a big female following. he was engaged to Martina Hingis, and dated this tennis player Nicole Vaidsova.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Damn, is it a sport or a Hooters restaurant?

I guess the fairly attractive need not apply.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

The women's game needs all the help it can get.

It's BS. I want to see a great match, between two great players.. Not some cutesy tarts running back and forward..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

I guess this proves how the media's too obsessed with appearances to the point where no one can have talent.
    A woman has the age she deserves.
    -Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    It's BS. I want to see a great match, between two great players.. Not some cutesy tarts running back and forward..
    ITA. I realise society is looks-obsessed, but they're ATHLETES. I want to see the physically capable, not the aesthetically pleasing!
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

i don't really watch women's tennis anyway but this is ridiculous.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Give me a great tennis match ANY day over looks.

Some things never fucking change.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

if i had to choose, i'd rather see an ugly non grunting woman over the screamers they have now.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Gold Member

Sexism at it's finest.

This would never happen to players in the men's field.

Even in the sports world, a woman's worth is decided by how she looks rather than her athletic talent. Why do you think Anna Kournikova got so much press despite never winning a major tournament?

Men are so shallow.

Silver Member

Ah, yes, this takes me back to those good old days when I played basketball and was told that no one wanted to see our games because none of us dogfaced girls were hot enough, and anyway the guys teams were better. Who knew that all my hours, summer and holiday vacations would be better spent on makeovers and stylist appointments, instead of playing and practicing with coach? Live and learn, I guess.
    My rape kit brings all the girls to the yard, and I'm like, where's your credit card?
    Damn right, where's your credit card?
    Cause to get this there's a hefty charge!

Dragonlady! Every time I saw Ben Wallace this NBA season, I thought of you. He rules.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information