Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Tour de France 2009....who's watching?

Default The Tour de France 2009....who's watching?

Yea, me. Reason? My husband is a major TdF fan......since the Greg LeMond (sp?) days. Me? Don't give a shit, yet, here I am watching it, and slowly learning about pelotons and that shit. WHY WHY?

And for the record, and I KNOW my husband would want you to know (if he actually knew I was putting this out there) is that he HATES LANCE ARMSTRONG. He roots for everyone BUT Lance. He was pissed he came back into it, because all eyes are now on Lance and NOT on the highly qualified and deserving riders that are also there.

Anyone else?

I'm not a huge fan but do follow to see how Armstrong is doing. At his age, he's an inspiration to us old farts.

^^^YES. I do agree, and given his obvious health history, I mean.....its something to be inspired by!!!

I don't HATE Armstrong, in fact, I kinda hope he takes it, but yet, if he doesn't, I'm not upset at all.

Whatever happens....happens right!

i'm watching/following it. the tour is epic, it's the highlight of the cycling year for me. been watching it since '96, i think (?).

more and more, i'm warming up to lance. he was never a favourite of mine (i used to root for jan ullrich.) but lance is talented and i love to watch him in the individual time trials (i remember he once descended at 60 kms per hour in the last 2 kilometers [before the (le grand bornand) finish] - that was insane!).

i'm really excited about this year's tour. i'm hoping that lance's return will make it more interesting. i don't necessarily think it's a bad thing he came back - he desperately wants to prove the critics wrong (the doping allegations). that said, i'm rooting for leipheimer in the mountain stages - he is my favourite cyclist. i also want mark cavendish to win a couple more stages this year. he's terrific.

I'm watching and love watching it every year. I tune in when I can.

I'm being forced to watch it, ugh! The bf is just in love with Thor Hushovt and is practically skipping around like he's on fairy dust today since Thor took the stage.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

i'm watching but hoping lance doesn't take it. i hate that he's there, he's a distraction and i'd like to see some of the other cyclists get his press. like calcifer, i'm a levi fan. he's a great cyclist and he's from around here, he's a pretty nice guy. on a side note, his wife heads up a local animal rescue charity and he's active in it as well.

My hub is still obsessed w/it all......sigh

Alright, throwing this out there, was talking to a doctor the other day about the Tour and Lance. And the Dr said that Lance has the easiest way in the world to get around certain doping standards: he is a cancer survivor and may need some follow up 'care' and therefore, its not unusual to get Testosterone due to the type of cancer he had.....so, he could be doping legally. That was his opinion. Obviously, I have no clue..just passing it along.

I dunno...

Alright, throwing this out there, was talking to a doctor the other day about the Tour and Lance. And the Dr said that Lance has the easiest way in the world to get around certain doping standards: he is a cancer survivor and may need some follow up 'care' and therefore, its not unusual to get Testosterone due to the type of cancer he had.....so, he could be doping legally. That was his opinion. Obviously, I have no clue..just passing it along.
    He's not alone in thinking that way. I agree with him.

Methinks that's his reason behind coming out of retirement..
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i'm watching but hoping lance doesn't take it. i hate that he's there, he's a distraction and i'd like to see some of the other cyclists get his press.
    sarko(zy) did some crystal gazing & told reporters yesterday that lance will win the tour this year.
    i don't think that will happen though. (my tea leaves told me that.)

i sort of like it that lance is back - there's a bit of tension in astana now. who will outwit who? it will probably come down to a case of luck and/or the best strategy and who'll recover fastest. hopefully, it will make this year's tour more interesting to watch than the previous ones.

Quote Originally Posted by LynnieD View Post
    My hub is still obsessed w/it all......sigh

I dunno...
    hmm, that's interesting.
    i remember him testing positive once after using saddle cream, which was prescribed to him.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    . . . i sort of like it that lance is back - there's a bit of tension in astana now. who will outwit who? it will probably come down to a case of luck and/or the best strategy and who'll recover fastest. hopefully, it will make this year's tour more interesting to watch than the previous ones. . . .
    i didn't know that there was tension in astana but am not surprised. how can they support each other if 3 three of them want to win? goes against strategy and esprit de corps.

as for the testosterone theory, it is possible, but it doesn't really matter since everyone in cycling dopes. and the biggest thing they use is epoetin. i once had a conversation with one of the amgen physicians who works on epoetin and he wasn't even sure that they include tests for it when they do the other drug testing.

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    i didn't know that there was tension in astana but am not surprised. how can they support each other if 3 three of them want to win? goes against strategy and esprit de corps.
    in stage #7 contador attacked on the final climb. and when they asked armstrong about it, he said it wasn't part of the plan they had set up earlier but he wasn't really surprised contador attacked.
    the following day, armstrong said that he could easily have followed contador but it wasn't up to him to bridge the gap so he held back. and he admitted that there was some tension in his team though contador denied this. some believe armstrong is trying to play a psychological game with his comments.

did you hear that levi is out with a broken wrist? he fell in the last 3 kms yesterday (with cadel evans), hit the curb with his wheel ...

as for the testosterone theory, it is possible, but it doesn't really matter since everyone in cycling dopes. and the biggest thing they use is epoetin. i once had a conversation with one of the amgen physicians who works on epoetin and he wasn't even sure that they include tests for it when they do the other drug testing.
    yes, you're probably right.
    in the tour, they do include epo tests but apparently the results aren't reliable at all.. i read an article on a danish study recently where they injected a number of students with epo during the course of four weeks and they sent their samples to two wada accredited labs. one lab couldn't even find traces of epo. and in the other lab, all of the participants tested positive but only during the first two weeks when the injections schedule was more intensive. truly bizarre & completely unreliable.

i'm with czb. they're all doped up. cycling is probably the dirtiest sport out there.

and i hate lance. he is a douche. i hope he falls and breaks his remaining ball.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

czb

Quote Originally Posted by calcifer View Post
    in stage #7 contador attacked on the final climb. and when they asked armstrong about it, he said it wasn't part of the plan they had set up earlier but he wasn't really surprised contador attacked.
    the following day, armstrong said that he could easily have followed contador but it wasn't up to him to bridge the gap so he held back. and he admitted that there was some tension in his team though contador denied this. some believe armstrong is trying to play a psychological game with his comments.

did you hear that levi is out with a broken wrist? he fell in the last 3 kms yesterday (with cadel evans), hit the curb with his wheel ...

yes, you're probably right.
    in the tour, they do include epo tests but apparently the results aren't reliable at all.. i read an article on a danish study recently where they injected a number of students with epo during the course of four weeks and they sent their samples to two wada accredited labs. one lab couldn't even find traces of epo. and in the other lab, all of the participants tested positive but only during the first two weeks when the injections schedule was more intensive. truly bizarre & completely unreliable.
    didn't know about levi. i'm disappointed. haven't been following the tour regularly.

you are probably right about lance and the psychological games, but contador is probably doing the same thing. they are both seasoned and while lance might deny it, they both want to win.

thanks for the info about the danish study, that is interesting. but there are different lab tests with varying levels of sensitivity. it wouldn't surprise me if they do test for epo but use one of the less-sensitive tests.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    . . .
    and i hate lance. he is a douche. i hope he falls and breaks his remaining ball.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information