Thread: 8 year old boy climbs Mount Everest

SVZ

Default 8 year old boy climbs Mount Everest

8-year-old mountain climber at top of the world
    Boy has scaled Himalayas, Alps

By JAKE ELLISON
    SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER REPORTER

BOTHELL -- At the first hint of a willing ear, Aidan Gold leapt with stocking feet onto his parents' couch, pointed to photos of mountains hanging on the white wall and began the tale of his adventures as a high-alpine mountaineer.

His accounts of reaching high peaks in the shadow of Mount Everest, traversing glaciers and rotten-rock cliffs with 6,000-foot exposures and the details in which he recounts them are incongruous with his 8-year-old voice and 4-foot, 60-pound stature.

"This glacier here is higher than Mount Rainier, even though there are plants," he said pointing to a dark line in a photo taken from the top of Island Peak in the Himalayas. "The top of this is way higher than that."

On Nov. 10, Aidan climbed 20,300-foot Island Peak with his father and several guides. His father, Warren Gold, said members of the Nepal Mountaineering Association say Aidan is likely the youngest person to climb the mountain.

It was the high point of the Bothell family's four-month climbing and hiking adventure that ranged from Switzerland to Katmandu.

In addition to Island Peak, Aidan and his dad reached the peak of 10,400-foot Haustock and 13,400-foot Monch in the Alps, 17,200-foot Awi Peak near Everest, and the whole family, including 5-year-old Janick, made it to the 17,700-foot Everest base camp.

Warren Gold is an associate professor of ecology and environmental science at the University of Washington-Bothell campus. He had taken Aidan, his wife, Julia, and Janick on a sabbatical that mixed business with pleasure.

the Himalayas. At left is climbing Sherpa Namgye Sherpa. Aidan's father, Warren Gold, took the picture.

Gold said he wanted to give his sons an appreciation of a world less touched by humans.

"A mix of wonder and adventure, that's what you get in the mountains," he said.

Gold said that in addition to sightseeing and climbing, he continued his high-altitude ecology research.

Aidan said he likes to climb because of the challenge and the view from the tops of mountains.

The toughest stretch for him over the past four months, he said, was a 45-degree face of rock and ice on Haustock.

"It's the worse 3,000 feet I've ever done," he said.

That climb also had his mother worried. She could see the two most of the way to the peak, but they were still gone 10 hours with just one adult. Normally they like to make sure two adults are present.

"If something happened to the adult, you don't know how he'd respond," Julia Gold said. "So, I was very worried."

For the rest of the climbs, the family hired guides to accompany Gold and Aidan when they aspired to high peaks.

"I got cold two times in Nepal. No times in Switzerland," Aidan added.

"Boy, a morning at 17,000 feet is cold," he said.

But Aidan is uniquely undaunted by the rigors and monotony of climbing for hours at a time. He has an uncanny focus, his parents said.

Part of that focus is because of Asperger's Syndrome. He was diagnosed with the type of autism when he was 3 years old.

People with that trait tend to share an intensity of focus on specific goals or processes, and they typically don't do so well in social settings.

Nevertheless, Aidan is an accomplished storyteller and has also written stories and read them to audiences, even winning a story slam last winter at the Paramount Theatre.

He also has a passion for extremely complicated origami -- building moose, bald eagles and many other things.

The family's Christmas tree is laden with origami, some created by folding paper after looking at diagrams in a book. Others are Aidan's original designs.

That focused intensity and his love of adventure make him an avid climber, and he has many more peaks in mind.

"There are dangers with all of this," Warren Gold acknowledged.

But he said, "I really think the most dangerous thing we did the whole trip was crossing the street in Katmandu."

In fact, the worst injury sustained on the whole trip happened when the bus they were riding in Katmandu slammed on the brakes and Janick smashed his nose.

Default Re: 8 year old boy climbs Mount Everest

Pretty amazing but his parents must be idiots.

lmao talk about putting dead people to shame.

An 8 year old should not be doing anything that strenuous and dangerous in my opinion.

Reminds me of that idiot who had his young daughter flying and she got killed. These parents are very lucky they did not have the same outcome. There are so many unpredictable dangers on Everest, and considering how many have died on that mountain they were total idiots.

^^ I remember watching a programme about that girl who died in the plane, very sad.

The parents always say that he/she really wanted to do it but then what if they said they want to tightrope over burning coals, practice fire eating, etc would they let them? OK I'm exagerrating here but I find it highly irresponsible to let your child be put in a dangerous situation willingly.

Lots of kids want to do fun and exciting things but there comes a point where the parents have to be resonsible and out their foot down. I would never dream of letting my 8 year old climb everest after hearing so many stories of fully grown men dying on their way up there. Its ridiculous.

As for the little girl who died flying, I had never heard of that but I don't know how her parents can sleep at night, they could have stopped her doing it but instead they stupidlly and irresponsibly let her. I'm guessing these people enjoy the attention they get from having an over achieving child but is it worth risking their lives?
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

SVZ

When he grows up he can write a book, and the parents can live off the royalties.

Thread Information