Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reporter: Brett Favre is just another scheming celeb

Default Reporter: Brett Favre is just another scheming celeb

About 10 minutes into Joe Buck's interview with Brett Favre, the quarterback began to speculate on his prospects with the Minnesota Vikings.

He loves the offense, as it's the same one he ran for 16 seasons in Green Bay.
    He'd have a running back, Adrian Peterson, who looks like a future Hall of Famer.

And the defense doesn't suck, either. That went without saying.

"We should be pretty good," he said.

We. Hold up. We? Who's we?

In that moment, Favre gave himself up. For all his down-home, "aw-shucks" charm, the once-beloved quarterback came across as something of a schemer. Now that he's talked, it's even more difficult to believe this arrangement with Minnesota hasn't been in the works for a while. Favre didn't come off as fickle, so much as sneaky. What's more, you can understand why the Packers filed tampering charges against the Vikings almost a year ago.

The theme of HBO's inaugural "Joe Buck Live" was sports and celebrity. It's an interesting topic, though not a new one. And while ballplayers tend to be treated more graciously and adoringly than other American celebs, I'll concede that their lives have been complicated in this intrusive, mean-spirited and occasionally hilarious age of blogging and cell-phone photography.

But I refuse to be offended by the reporter doing his stand-up in front of Favre's house in Mississippi. God bless him. He's earning a semi-honest living. Nor am I concerned that this guy's editors are having him Twitter when Favre gets on the plane. So what?

Brett Favre isn't an innocent bystander. He brought this on himself. As regards his whereabouts and intentions, he's been running one misdirection play after another. With this interview now in evidence, it seems that most of what he's been denying and no-commenting is true.

Yes, he wants to play for the Vikings.

That's why he had arthroscopic shoulder surgery almost three weeks ago. And that's why the Vikings team trainer flew out to meet with him on Sunday.

And yes, head coach Brad Childress wanted him to attend organized team activities last week. "He wanted me to be there to be part of the team," said Favre.

This sound like a guy who hasn't made up his mind?

Bottom line, after a season of scheming, Favre has finally found a way to get to the Vikings the last place the Packers (who had ample justification) wanted him to be.

Now Favre complains of reporters and talk show hosts who seek to "create controversy."

Nonsense. This controversy is a creature of his own creation. Worse still, for a year and a half now, he's jerked a lot of people around. First, it was the Packers whose front office bent over backwards for him and their fans. Then it was the Jets and theirs.

No, my heart doesn't bleed for Woody Johnson and the geniuses who run the Jets' business affairs. Just as Favre used them, they used him to sell personal seat licenses. But what of those fans who bought those PSLs based on Favre? He quit on them after a season, told them he was retiring when in fact he was not. They have a right to feel betrayed. Now consider the fans in Green Bay. They feel that same betrayal times 16.

"I wonder if you worry about tarnishing your legacy in the league by coming back, going away, coming back?" asked Buck.

"I think the 16 years I spent in Green Bay speak for themselves," said Favre.

And I think that answer was an unwitting lesson in the real price of celebrity. The man who's been too famous for too long, risks losing touch. He starts believing he can jerk everybody around then declare himself shocked at the repercussions.

According to Favre, the vast majority of people "don't give a s---" where he goes.

I don't think that's true. People cared about this guy, what he did and what he stood for. That's the real shame here. Brett Favre, the ballsiest of all quarterbacks, has managed to turn himself into just another celebrity
    On the Mark: Favre's just another scheming celeb - FOX Sports on MSN

Favre has Michael Jordan Syndrome. He needs to 'retire' multiple times before it sticks.

But he is right about one thing. I don't give a shit where he goes anymore.

This guy is worse than professional boxers who constantly unretire.

Favre is a washed up has been who is going to do what he has done every season for a while..fall on his ass & blame someone else.

He had a chance to do the "glory" retirement thing & have most people continue to believe the fantasy of him being this great guy, "the love of the game" & all that horse shit. But instead he will be remembered as the arrogant pathetic loser who was so delusional he thought he could still pull it off regardless of how many times he's proved it is OVER. He should have just gotten on his tractor, rode off into the cornfield & shut the hell up.

^Amen. I swear, Brett Favre's indecision rivals that of a fat kid in a candy aisle (Snickers or Skittles?). All the news in Milwaukee has been lately 'Is Favre Going to the Vikings?' and I'm sick of it. I know the Packers and the Vikings have this lifelong rivalry, but who gives a shit about Favre anymore.

He had the chance to retire and go out on top, but that option is over. He is just trying to hang on to the glory that he can't have anymore. He should stop embarrassing himself and bow out. NOW!

I'm not surprised the fame would go to his head eventually. Let's see if he exhibits the attitude problem and sense of entitlement certain relatives didn't even try to hide. That good ole boy, aw shucks performance is wearing thin with the rest of the country too now?

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByKnightRider View Post
    ^Amen. I swear, Brett Favre's indecision rivals that of a fat kid in a candy aisle (Snickers or Skittles?). All the news in Milwaukee has been lately 'Is Favre Going to the Vikings?' and I'm sick of it. I know the Packers and the Vikings have this lifelong rivalry, but who gives a shit about Favre anymore.
    Pfft! Please. Snickers. It's easy.

Man, I love me some Farve, but he's just making himself look like a real tool. I guess he sees this as his last chance for redemption, to polish his tarnished rep by hoping to go out on top?
    Edit - yeah, totally Snickers. How is that even a question??

I HATE Favre!!!

And I HATE that he has ended up signing now with my Vikings. I am a Vikings fan through the wins and loses every year, and Favre has been a part of Greenbay for over a decade.

WHY,....WHY,.....WHY would he want to play on a team that is Greenbays sworn enemy??? And Minnesota fans hate his ass too,....now we have to deal with his conceited attitude and see his face all season!!

isnt he like 100 years old?
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Favre is getting on my last nevre.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    isnt he like 100 years old?

He's 39, which is about 115 in football years.

I used to love Brett, what a shame he's turning himself into a big ass douche.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    I HATE Favre!!!

And I HATE that he has ended up signing now with my Vikings. I am a Vikings fan through the wins and loses every year, and Favre has been a part of Greenbay for over a decade.

WHY,....WHY,.....WHY would he want to play on a team that is Greenbays sworn enemy??? And Minnesota fans hate his ass too,....now we have to deal with his conceited attitude and see his face all season!!
    Sorry Jade, I feel for you...better though he play with the Vikings then my team. I can't and never could stand him. I always felt he faked humbleness.

lol Yea I hear ya, B.C....it is a rotten deal all around, no mater who got stuck with this ass. He said he was going to retire from Greenbay for a few years in a row, before he actually did. I would say he has pulled this shit for about 5 years now.

What team do you root for, B.C.?

um....ah...the Lions...we're of no threat to anyone. Hopefully we'll have a better season then last year. At least with him playing with the Vikings I can laugh at his old ass once this year. Yeah, I know he'll probably kick Detroit's ass...but I can hope they pound his ass can't I? ... I know people that are Green Bay fans because of imretirednoimnotbrett, wonder if they'll become Minnesota fans now. It just doesn't seem right for him to play for another team in the division.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information