Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart dies after hit and run

Default Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart dies after hit and run

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Angels pitcher Adenhart dies in 3-car crash
    Rookie killed in hit-and-run in Fullerton hours after starting game vs. A's
    The Associated Press
    updated 9:48 a.m. PT, Thurs., April 9, 2009

Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart throws to the plate during Wednesday's game against the A's.
    Jeff Gross / Getty Images file

ANAHEIM, Calif. - Los Angeles Angels rookie pitcher Nick Adenhart and two other people were killed Thursday when a minivan ran a red light and struck their sports car, authorities said.

Adenhart, 22, died after undergoing surgery, University of California, Irvine Medical Center spokesman John Murray said.

A fourth person remained hospitalized in critical condition.

Adenhart, of Silver Spring, Md., was the Angels’ No. 3 starter. He threw six scoreless innings Wednesday night in his fourth major-league start and first of the season. Oakland won the game 6-4.

Adenhart and three other people were in a silver Mitsubishi that was struck shortly before 12:30 a.m. by a minivan that ran a red light and also hit another vehicle, police said.

The sports car struck a light pole, killing three people inside.

Police Lt. Craig Brower said the minivan driver fled the crash scene and was captured a short time later. The driver was arrested and booked for investigation of felony hit-and-run.

Adenhart, a right-hander, earned a spot in the starting rotation on an injury-plagued Angels staff by impressing manager Mike Scioscia late in spring training.

The pitcher made his major league debut May 1 of last year, also against Oakland. He made two other starts, getting his only decision in a victory over the Chicago White Sox on May 12. He was 37-28 in the minor leagues from 2005-08, including 9-13 last year at Triple-A Salt Lake.

Texas planned a moment of silence before its game against Cleveland.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Angels pitcher Adenhart dies in 3-car crash - Baseball- nbcsports.msnbc.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2009 NBCSports.com

i just watched him last night on TV. what a damned shame. i'm so glad that they caught the asshole that did this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

This is SO terrible. Poor people.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

woah!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Stupid drunk fucker.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Hit By Ban Bus! AliceInWonderland's Avatar

there's a tribute page to him on all the electronic billboards around l.a.; it is sad. whenever i see these stories, i'm always like, "why couldn't you shell out for a $40.00 cab ride?!". of course, im sure the person who did it will ask themselves that question for the rest of their life. so sad....

it definetly makes me think twice about drunk driving and makes me scared of driving through intersections late at night around club-closing hours

Twenty-two damn years old and dead because of a drunk driver. I'm sorry he won't get to live his life and for his family who must be in agony.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by AliceInWonderland View Post
    whenever i see these stories, i'm always like, "why couldn't you shell out for a $40.00 cab ride?!". of course, im sure the person who did it will ask themselves that question for the rest of their life.
    Hmmm, I don't think so. The guy who did this, like most, are too concerned about their own well being to consider others. That's why he's done this sort of thing more than once. (He was driving on a suspended license because of a prior DUI.) Anyone else who truly felt remorseful would have learned the first time!

Very sad. So young, talented. Just realizing his dream and was well on his way to living it out....

well it definetly made me not go over board last nite in the vodka dept.! i was nice and sober even though my drive home was like 3 miles, im not ever going to pull that shit or even close to it!

im watching the angels vs. boston game right now it is sad. too sad.

i just got word that the passenger in the car, Henry Pearson was the nephew of a friend of mine that i have known since the 70's. Their family is having a tough time of it. I hope the fucker that did this fries.
    got these from my friend

Henry Pearson Remembered

Sharapova's Thigh: Remembering The Best Friend I Ever Had (its a blog)
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

wow thats terrible they were all way too young to die

I drove by the Anaheim stadium on Sunday (Easter) and it was FULL of people and everyone was wearing red/white and the Angel's red baseball caps. I didn't know if they were having a game or a memorial service!

Seriously, it was a sea of people wearing the team's colors. I've never seen it like that before.

Default Driver accused in death of Nick Adenhart and 2 others pleads not guilty

Accused in Adenhart’s death pleads not guilty
    Gallo charged with 3 counts of murder related to drunken-driving crash
    The Associated Press
    updated 12:54 p.m. PT, Mon., June 8, 2009

SANTA ANA, Calif. - The man charged with killing Los Angeles Angels pitcher Nick Adenhart and two others in a drunken-driving crash pleaded not guilty Monday to three counts of murder as relatives of the victims looked on.

Andrew Thomas Gallo also pleaded not guilty through his attorney to three other felony charges and one misdemeanor in connection with the April 9 collision that occurred just hours after Adenhart pitched six scoreless innings in his season debut.

The 22-year-old Gallo watched from inside a security enclosure as defense attorney Randall Longwith entered the pleas before an Orange County Superior Court judge. About 15 members of Gallo’s family were in court.

While waiting for Gallo to appear, 24-year-old Jon Wilhite, the lone member of Adenhart’s group to survive, began to sob. Wilhite, who had critical injuries in the wreck, was embraced by friends and family.

Longwith said later in an interview that he will seek a change of venue because he believes Gallo cannot get a fair trial in Orange County, home of the Angels and the California State University, Fullerton, baseball team for which Wilhite had played.

The attorney noted that in another courthouse where Gallo made a previous appearance, an Angels poster was in the hallway leading to the courtroom.

Longwith also said there have been death threats against Gallo and himself via the Internet, phone and in a letter.

“I think people are venting and it’s just evidence of the passion people have in this case. I don’t think it’s a true threat,” he said, noting he had not brought it to the district attorney’s attention.

Deputy District Attorney Susan Price disputed the need for moving the case.

“We don’t believe that the defendant will be any more prejudiced in this county than in any other county,” said Price, who was flanked by the victims’ family members at a brief news conference outside the courtroom.

All the families declined to comment after the hearing. Some family members wore T-shirts and large buttons emblazoned with photos of their children.

Price said Gallo faces a mandatory minimum sentence of 45 years to life in prison if convicted of the three second-degree murder charges. If convicted of all charges, the minimum would be 54 years and eight months to life.

Police have said Gallo had nearly triple the legal blood-alcohol level when the minivan he was driving ran a red light in Fullerton and broadsided the silver Mitsubishi Eclipse carrying Adenhart and three friends to a dance club to celebrate his success.

The impact spun around both vehicles, and one then struck another car but that driver was not hurt, police said.

Gallo fled on foot and was captured about 30 minutes later, police said.

The 22-year-old Adenhart died in surgery at the University of California, Irvine Medical Center. Another passenger, 25-year-old Henry Nigel Pearson of Manhattan Beach, and the driver, 20-year-old Courtney Frances Stewart of Diamond Bar, died at the scene.

Stewart was a student at nearby Cal State Fullerton, where she was a cheerleader in 2007-08. Pearson, who played high school baseball with Wilhite, was a graduate of Arizona State University and was pursuing a law degree when he died.

Wilhite, of Manhattan Beach, was hospitalized for weeks for “internal decapitation,” a rare and often fatal separation of the skull from the spinal column.

Wilhite, who played baseball from 2004-08 at Fullerton, has since been discharged from the hospital and is undergoing outpatient physical therapy.

He came to the arraignment in a wheelchair but was able to get up and enter the courtroom under his own power, albeit with an unsteady gait. His head was closely shaved and had a long scar at the base of the skull.

He and his family declined to comment after the arraignment.

Longwith noted that Gallo was being housed in a 14-man jail cell and was not in protective custody. He said his client is frequently in tears during their meetings and was crying when he came into court.

“He was pretty much in shock,” Longwith said.

© 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
    URL: Accused in Adenhart’s death pleads not guilty - Baseball- nbcsports.msnbc.com

MSN Privacy . Legal
    © 2009 NBCSports.com

God, how horrible. I hope this guy gets the maximum sentence. I hate fucking drunk drivers!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information