Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basics of Rhinoplasty

SVZ

Default Basics of Rhinoplasty

What is Rhinoplasty?

Rhinoplasty is a surgical procedure performed on the nose. It can enhance and beautify the shape and aesthetic appeal of the nose, or improve the functional use of the nose, or both. Commonly referred to as a nose job, a rhinoplasty can also include a septoplasty and a tiplasty. A septoplasty aims to restore or add functionality to the use of the nose, breathing. A tiplasty is the surgery in which the surgeon refines and defines the tip of the nose.

What Can Rhinoplasty Do?

A rhinoplasty can change and alter almost all aspects of a nose. A hump can be removed, a nose upturned, and the tip refined and made more delicate. A nose can also be made more strong, and masculine. It relies on the communication between the doctor and the patient. Is the patient able to communicate exactly what he wants? Is the doctor able to understand and visualize what the patient wants to be changed.

Here is just a short example of what can be achieved through rhinoplasty.

- Making the nose more symmetrical
    - Refining the tip
    - Narrowing or widening the width of the nose
    - Narrowing or widening the width of the nostrils
    - Altering the projection of the nose
    - Removing a hump
    - Removing bumps on the side of the nose
    - Adding definition to the bridge and or tip
    - Adding or removing projection to the nose

Many factors will influence the final result of a rhinoplasty, which are not instant and take time to heal and reveal.

- The thickness and the texture of your skin
    - The strength, shape and structure of the nasal bones and cartilage
    - How your body heals after trauma and surgery

A primary rhinoplasty is much easier and more likely to produce successful results than revision rhinoplasty.

Who Gets Rhinoplasty?

Rhinoplasty is one of the most common plastic surgery procedures today. It was the fourth most popular cosmetic surgical procedure in 2004, following eyelid surgery, breast augmentation and liposuction.

While men are still a minority, they are becoming a bigger part of people who do choose to get plastic surgery. The percentage of men who have chosen plastic surgery to enhance their look has grown from 10% and is increasing each year as it becomes more acceptable. Women are still the predominant users of plastic surgery.

Anyone who is of sufficient mental and physical health, has a good understanding of what they dislike of their nose is eligible to get rhinoplasty, or any cosmetic procedure for that matter.

People of all races get rhinoplasty, the aesthetics are different for each race, but the goal is the same.

How Old Do I Have To Be?

The surgeon will be the only person who decides who he or she performs procedures on, and because of this each surgeon has a ‘cut-off’ age for when someone is too young for cosmetic surgery.

It is not so much age as it is a development. A fully developed teen is eligible for plastic surgery. A body, and a face which is still growing and maturing can cause problems down the line if a cosmetic procedure is performed on it. As the face and body will continue to mature and develop, this can cause unwanted effects in the future.

Generally though, after the age of 14-15 for girls, and after 15-16 is eligible. At this point facial maturity is achieved, and the bone structure is set. If the patient has stopped growing taller, then they are more than likely eligible to get plastic surgery.

Could I Be Too Old For Rhinoplasty?

No one is too old to have a rhinoplasty procedure. An adult may choose to have a rhinoplasty later on in life due to many factors. One of the main factors is money.

As well, gravity has an effect on the nose just like any body part. As we begin to age the tip falls, and sometimes broadens. A rhinoplasty can restore a youthful appearance to a persons nose. This can be done without altering the other features of the nose.

Of course with age, more precautions need to be taken. Such as a rigorous examination of the performs mental and physical health.

Who Can’t Have Rhinoplasty?

If a person is not in great physical and mental health, they may not be eligible for plastic surgery. The surgeon has to look at why the patient wants plastic surgery. If it is an extension of body dimorphic disorder, counseling or other venues of help may be more appropriate.

If the patient has been using Accutane within the last 6 months, they are not eligible for surgery. The use of Accutane can cause excessive keloid scarring, especially as a result of incisions. Accutane can also cause excessive bone growth and healing as well.

Does Anyone Need Rhinoplasty?

Yes and no. From a cosmetic stand point, no one needs rhinoplasty. The ideals of beauty are partly biological, but mainly created by society. One does not have to fit in to these ‘rules of beauty’ to be a successful part of society. But if a person feels that it would benefit their self-esteem, and make them feel better about their procedure they are a good candidate for any plastic surgery.

Rhinoplasty may be necessary after trauma or disease. The bones may have collapsed, cartilage inside the nose may have been damaged or atrophied. This is when rhinoplasty becomes restorative, restoring the function of the nose, as well as a normal and attractive appearance to the patient’s face and nose.

What Does Rhinoplasty Cost?

The cost of any surgical procedure is set by the facility, the person performing the procedure, and anyone else who may be involved with the process.

Costs will arise from, the surgeon’s fee, the anesthesiologist’s fee, hospital charges which will include the operation room and the nursing fee, the cost of medications, and as well any additional charges, such as paying for food, hotels, etc.

Patients will have to get blood tests, as well as some basic health check ups such as physical, or possibly X-rays and other medical imaging. This depends on the surgeon and the extent of your healthcare.

On average though the costs are

- Primary open rhinoplasty $3000 – $6500 and up
    - Primary closed rhinoplasty $2500 – $6000 and up
    - Primary tiplasty or septoplasty $3500 - $6500 and up
    - Secondary open rhinoplasty $7000 - $9000 and up
    - Secondary closed rhinoplasty $2500 - $10000 and up.; with implant: $2500. - $10000 and up.

Secondary and revision rhinoplasty costs more because the procedure itself is more difficult and usually involves grafting and other procedures.

Prices can vary across regions as well. Some countries are offering ‘beauty vacations’ where travel agencies sell a package consisting of a stay and a cosmetic procedure. Be wary of these, and make sure that you are comfortable and aware of the doctor and facility's credentials before planning such a procedure.

What If I’m Not Happy With The Outcome?

Altering a facial feature can be a very dramatic procedure. One feature can harmonize the entire face, or look out of place and be distracting. There is no such thing as a ‘perfect nose’. There is an ideal looking nose for each face, but there’s no formula to predict that. A nose does not make a face, but a nose should harmonize with one and add to it.

If a patient is looking to have a ‘perfect nose’, they may be disappointed after the surgery. Cosmetic surgery can only do so much. It is extremely important to research your plastic surgeon, and to find one that you will can do the best job for you.

Do cosmetic surgery to please yourself. Don’t do it to please others, you will surely be disappointed. Rhinoplasty will not make you popular, will not change your life. Only you can do that, if you feel rhinoplasty will make you more confident, enable you to do more, then that is a healthy way to look at it. But changing the nose itself will do nothing beyond the superficial. The person outside, and inside needs to change. Sometimes changing the outside is the first step. But it is not the only one.

Copyright © Gossip Rocks! 2005

Default Re: Basics of Rhinoplasty

- Primary open rhinoplasty $3000 $6500 and up
    - Primary closed rhinoplasty $2500 $6000 and up
    - Primary tiplasty or septoplasty $3500 - $6500 and up
    - Secondary open rhinoplasty $7000 - $9000 and up
    - Secondary closed rhinoplasty $2500 - $10000 and up.; with implant: $2500. - $10000 and up.
    What are tiplastys? Septoplastys? And what's the difference between open and closed?

SVZ

first paragraph will answer your first question.

and that will come in the second part, the actual procedure (about open and closed.) it's basically how the procedure is done. if it's done through small incisions, or actually opening up the nose through one incision and lifting the skin off the structure.

Ohhh. Didn't see that, sorry!

Looks like I'll have to be dead rich to get my nose reshaped!

^Or you can travel to other country and get it done in much lower cost

^I was watching a documentary the other day about people who get ps in other countries for nearly 1/3rd the cost.Dominican republic seemed to be popular

I'm looking into having rhinoplasty in the next two years. I'm already saving now. Next time I'm in my capital city I'm going to go for a consult with a cosmetic surgeon.
    ssabmud

I'm way to scared that something may go wrong.

I want Halle Berry's nose job. Looks completely natural; I didn't even know she had anything done.

Quote Originally Posted by CCkissesx View Post
    I'm looking into having rhinoplasty in the next two years. I'm already saving now. Next time I'm in my capital city I'm going to go for a consult with a cosmetic surgeon.
    My friend's son just had a consultation. $7000 dollars. He'll probably do it in a year when he's 17.

That's what I'd be looking at. Anywhere from $3,000 - $10,000.

Like you bychance, I was/am scared too. I hate needles. But even though my nose isn't obvious, I feel having it thinned out would help raise my confidence. The only downside is that I hear it can take a whole year to heal! Yikes!
    ssabmud

I've seen a couple of really good nose jobs in real life. It looked like it took at least six months to heal, settle in, relax. The shape would change ever so slightly until it settled into what it's supposed to be.

fgg

i got a consultation about a year or two ago and i was told $7,500. i'm planning on getting it done in december if i don't chicken out...

What are you looking at having done FloridaGatorGirl?

Does your costing include after-op stay?
    ssabmud

fgg

nothing crazy. the doctor i was talking to is like the head of surgery or something at a local hospital so he's probably more expensive than some other people.

i'm still hoping that i can just be happy being me. i can go for a while not hating it and then all of the sudden i'm back to be super self-conscious. i've wanted it done for like 15 years now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information