Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By dksnj
  • 1 Post By funky_chicken
  • 1 Post By DeChayz
  • 2 Post By funky_chicken
  • 2 Post By DeChayz
  • 1 Post By dksnj
  • 2 Post By funky_chicken

Thread: Has anyone had closed rhinoplasty?

Default Has anyone had closed rhinoplasty?

My son is getting a closed rhinoplasty/septoplasty done in a couple of weeks. I'm wondering what the recovery is like and and tips on what I can do to help post-op. They gave him post op instructions, but wondering what things others may have found helpful.

He has wanted this for over 10 years. He was hanging a bedroom door back when he was in high school and it slipped and smashed into his nose. He has a deviated septum, but his nose is also crooked. I can't even notice it, but it is something that has been bothering him. Went to the doctor shortly after it happened and they said even if they fixed the septum, it wouldn't straighten his nose. Fortunately, he is now in the position to get it done, so I'm hapy for him.
    palta likes this.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

I had that done two years ago. I had a deviated septum as well due to a hit on my nose when I was a child. And my nose was crooked. My recovery was smooth, as smooth as it can be. Lots of funny picture of my face swellings, but it wasn't so bad as I thought it's going to be. Weird feeling to not being able to breath through the nose at all with all that stuff you have in your nose after surgery. It makes it really hard to swallow food, even drinking is difficult at first.
    Do you have any specific questions?
    -

Quote Originally Posted by funky_chicken View Post
    I had that done two years ago. I had a deviated septum as well due to a hit on my nose when I was a child. And my nose was crooked. My recovery was smooth, as smooth as it can be. Lots of funny picture of my face swellings, but it wasn't so bad as I thought it's going to be. Weird feeling to not being able to breath through the nose at all with all that stuff you have in your nose after surgery. It makes it really hard to swallow food, even drinking is difficult at first.
    Do you have any specific questions?

Thanks! Nothing really specific. He'll be recovering at home with me and just curious about the recovery. Did you have to stay in bed or a certain position for any length of time? Was it easier to lay flat or sleep propped up? He was thinking about getting one of those arm rest pillows. Did you have bruising under the eyes?
    He has to go for a Covid test on Thursday, then surgery on the 9th.
    Vera Donovan: (Dolores Claiborne) : Sometimes you have to be a high-riding bitch to survive. Sometimes being a bitch is all a woman has to hold onto.

I recovered at home as well, since my insurance didn't cover overnight in the hospital. That being said, it wouldn't have been necessary to stay in the hospital at all. I didn't have to stay in bed at all, I sat on the sofa most of the time and binge watched Netflix. The first few days I was really tired because of the narcotic so I slept a lot. I had to make sure that I will sleep on my back, which was really hard for me because I hate sleeping on my back. After three nights I changed back to sleeping on my side, but I took a neck pillow to sleep on, and I positioned it that way so my nose wouldn't touch the pillow. Worked totally fine.
    Yes, I had brusing under my eyes. I looked like a boxer after a fight. But the one that lost the fight.
    I didn't have a lot of pain though. Just when touching the nose.
    Some advice: As they will intubate him during the surgery, he will most likely end up having a sore throat as I did - so I prefered food like rice or even soup in the first couple of days. Also I think arnica will help with the bruising - at least I think it helped, as my face looked a lot better than my friend's who had the same surgery.
    dksnj likes this.
    -

I only had a septioplasty, but lemme tell you, the absolute WORST part was afterwards, where they clean out your nose. I swear to motherfucking baby Jesus, it felt like they were pulling my brain out through my nostril. Goddamn that hurt. Don't tell your son that though
    dksnj likes this.

I avoided that part on purpose I actually almost passed out, I had to lie down and the doctor had to hold my legs up. Not my finest moment.
    DeChayz and dksnj like this.
    -

True story: The last follow-up clean-out session I went to, I decided to treat myself to a frappuccino since it hurt so damn much. Went to the Bucks across the street, and there was this younger dude working the counter, super smiley with me, and I though "Yeah, son - still got it!" Got back to the car, still super pumped, and saw in the rear-view mirror I had a GIANT BOOGER ON MY NOSE from the follow-up. So not only had the doc had to have seen it, his nurse had to have seen it, the receptionist had to have seen it, and NO ONE though to tell me, hey, you got a snot boulder on your face. So much for that smiley barista.
    dksnj and palta like this.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    True story: The last follow-up clean-out session I went to, I decided to treat myself to a frappuccino since it hurt so damn much. Went to the Bucks across the street, and there was this younger dude working the counter, super smiley with me, and I though "Yeah, son - still got it!" Got back to the car, still super pumped, and saw in the rear-view mirror I had a GIANT BOOGER ON MY NOSE from the follow-up. So not only had the doc had to have seen it, his nurse had to have seen it, the receptionist had to have seen it, and NO ONE though to tell me, hey, you got a snot boulder on your face. So much for that smiley barista.

LOL, thanks guys. I won't mention the packing that has to come out! I appreciate the tips. Will grab some soft foods.

So my son had his septo and rhinoplasty yesterday. The surgeon decided to do an open at the last minute. Everything went well. He's home resting on pain pills and antibiotics. They also gave him anti-nausea medication. He's been able to eat pasta, eggs, jello. He goes Monday to get the splints out. Not sure if that is also when the packing comes out. He's starting to bruise under eyes so using Arnicare.

Thanks everyone for the advice.
    fgg likes this.

Good to hear he's well! And speedy recovery for him!
    fgg and dksnj like this.
    -

Thread Information