Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: What's your summer "Go To" meal?

A*O

I put a teaspoon of Dijon mustard in mine to give it extra zing. As long as it has the basic oil/vinegar you can try endless tweaks and flavours.

I use a small screw top jar to mix/shake it and keep any spare in the jar in the fridge where it will keep for a couple of days.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I put a teaspoon of Dijon mustard in mine to give it extra zing. As long as it has the basic oil/vinegar you can try endless tweaks and flavours.

I use a small screw top jar to mix/shake it and keep any spare in the jar in the fridge where it will keep for a couple of days.
    Oooh, the Dijon sounds good. I'll try that.

I always add a little bit of plain yogurt when I make balsamic vinaigrette dressing. It gives it a tart and refreshing kick.

I use Good Seasons. It's a great marinade and dressing. I don't use the premade kind in the bottle though. Just the packer of spices that you add to oil, vinegar and water.
    KrisNine and darksithbunny like this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I use Good Seasons. It's a great marinade and dressing. I don't use the premade kind in the bottle though. Just the packer of spices that you add to oil, vinegar and water.
    Those are really good. I use those, too.

I hate bottled because it's so thick and gooey.

I never thought it was a big deal to make vinaigrette because growing up my mom always made it, or even my dad, he loved anything tart or sour so he was a vinaigrette wiz, even if he couldn't do much in the kitchen other than salads, sandwiches and pasta.
    and in Europe it's what most people do. So I was kind of surprised that in Canada and the USA almost everyone uses store bought, even the food co-op hippies here in park slope will use some organic bottled shit. I don't get it, it's soooo easy and once you learn to make your own, you will never use store bought again.
    A*o, I do the jar in the fridge as well if I'm making larger amounts, if I'm just making enough for what I'm eating I use a whisk and bowl, and Dijon is my staple as well, sooooo good.

at any given time I have about 4 different kinds of vinegar in the cabinet and at least 5 different mustards, you can also make more Asian flavoured vinaigrettes with sesame oil, rice vinegar, fish sauce, chilli, palm sugar, crushed peanuts, etc.

the possibilities are endless.
    Last edited by sputnik; July 3rd, 2013 at 02:50 PM.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^^My family is really big on tart and sour. My SO and his family are the same way. My grandfather used to make this dressing when I was a kid with red wine vinegar and bacon drippings/grease. He would crumble a bit a of bacon over some lettuce, tomatoes and add this dressing. It was wonderful.
    sputnik likes this.

All I use is balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, sometimes a bit of chilli and black pepper, and that's about it. I like to add a bunch of fresh chopped herbs (mint, basil etc) out of my garden and also pine nuts if I've got any. Why would you buy something premade when it takes 5 seconds to make your own and it's all fresh? Those packets of seasoning are full of sugar, salt and god knows what else.
    Brookie likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Ya'll are making me hungry and I wanna make my own salad dressing now.
    sputnik likes this.

A*O

Having said all that I confess to a bottle of Cardini's Caesar Dressing in my fridge which can be a faff to make from scratch, ditto Hellmans whole egg mayonnaise.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Any kind of seafood or poultry salad - tuna, chicken, turkey or shrimp.
    Brookie likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Plus it impresses the hell out of people watching you. "Did you just make salad dressing?" and then you stare at them like they're insane
    I can't believe that people can't make vinegrette.
    Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    Having said all that I confess to a bottle of Cardini's Caesar Dressing in my fridge which can be a faff to make from scratch, ditto Hellmans whole egg mayonnaise.
    Who doesn't? That's a staple isn't it?

We're on tuna wraps at the moment. Tuna with chopped onion (spring onions/scallions, red onion, etc), some kind of dressing on the tuna, dollop on the mini-wraps, roll, eat.
    Brookie likes this.
    Free Charmed.

I make salads, lots and lots of them. Greek, Italian, Dutch, German, whatever. I add nuts and sprouts. Or I caramelize stuff in the frying pan and add it to the salad, like onions, asparagus, carrots and feta.

I make kick ass dressings. I always have a large choice of oil and vinegar and mustards at home. I put honey in almost all vinaigrettes. When I make pasta salad I put extra parmesan in my balsamico dressing. Delicious.

I never use recipes, I just make it all up. It's fun.
    sputnik and faithanne like this.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

lol chilly i think we have the same philosophy toward cooking.
    at most i'll look at a recipe and then reinterpret it according to what i have in the kitchen and what i want to do with it.
    Chilly Willy likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Best salad dressing ever: Sqeeze lemon over top of salad. Spinkle Cavenders Greek Seasoning all over. Toss.
    Zero calories and fabulous taste.
    Novice likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information