Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Simple Stuff For the Cooking Challenged (Nutella pie, roast, chicken noodles)

This all sound great, guys. Thanks! Sput, so many recipes call for cream of chicken/cream of mushroom, etc. Do you happen to have a homemade version that's a bit healthier? Or an acceptable substitution?

^^^
    yup. It's basically butter and flour and broth.

Recipe: D.I.Y. Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup

What do you do when you revisit a childhood recipe, hoping to recreate that memory of taste from the pages of Betty Crocker or your mother's church cookbook, and find, to your chagrin, that it calls for a can of condensed cream of whatever soup? You don't want the salt, or the mysterious chemical ingredients. But you don't want to give up on that recipe!

The good news is that it's not difficult to recreate those cream of... soups in your own kitchen. In fact, it takes little more than some flour, butter, and broth. And it seriously will not take much more time than opening up a can. That perfect retro casserole is on its way - just a little lighter and more in step with the times.
    Here's a recipe for cream of chicken soup, one of the more common condensed soup varieties. To make cream of anything else, just substitute the broth for another type. For cream of mushroom, cook some mushrooms down in the butter, then add the flour and some cream.

Cream of Chicken Condensed Soup
    makes a little over a cup, equivalent to one can of soup

3 tablespoons butter
    3 tablespoons white flour
    1/2 cup chicken stock
    1/2 cup milk
    Salt and pepper

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat then add the flour. Cook, stirring rapidly, until the mixture is thick.

Add the chicken stock and whisk until smooth, then add the milk. Bring to a simmer and cook, stirring, until thickened. Remove from the heat and add salt and pepper to taste.

This will keep for a couple days in the fridge, but it's best to use it the day you make it.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

^ That's how I make my sauce for tuna casserole, and it takes less time than it takes the noodles to cook. I make the sauce in the same pan I cooked all the vegetables in so it gets all their flavor too.

Here's a simple banana bread recipe I found last night online that I made to put in my boy's lunches today. I used brown instead of white sugar, added about 1/4 cocoa and a heaping tbls of chia and hemp seeds. Just finished off the last piece. So yummy!

3-4 ripe banana smashed
    1/3 melted butter
    1 cup sugar (can easily be reduced to 3/4)
    1 egg beaten
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp baking soda
    pinch of salt
    1 1/2 flour

No need for a mixer for this recipe. Preheat the oven to 350F (175C). With a wooden spoon, mix butter into the mashed bananas in a large mixing bowl. Mix in the sugar, egg, and vanilla. Sprinkle the baking soda and salt over the mixture and mix in. Add the flour last, mix. Pour mixture into a buttered 4x8 inch loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack. Remove from pan and slice to serve.

Oh, I've got a simple meal going right now in the crockpot so thought I'd share it.

Rack of babyback ribs, make a quick rub out of brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, garlic/onion powders and rub into both sides of the rack of ribs. Put in crockpot standing up (as opposed to laying flat, the ribs rest against the edge of the crockpot), and cook on low for 7 hours. I also wrapped 2 potatoes in tin foil and put those in the middle of the crockpot to cook at the same time. After 7 hours, turn on your broiler, pull out the ribs and put them on a baking pan, and brush some barbecue sauce on the ribs. Broil for about 5 minutes to let the sauce cook. Serve with the potato and something green (I've got a spinach salad I threw together to go with it). Really simple and only about 5 minutes of actual work.
    KrisNine likes this.

Thanks, Sput! I've made that banana bread. It's fantastic! Especially with really old bananas. All of these recipes sound great!
    sputnik likes this.

I don't remeber what magazine I got this recipe from, but it's super easy:

Snowcapped Chocolate Cookies

1 box chocolate cake mix
    1 3/4 cups Cool Whip
    2 eggs
    Powdered sugar

Mix together cake mix, Cool Whip and eggs (batter will be thick and sticky). Using a spoon or cookie scoop, form dough into 1 inch balls; roll dough in powder sugar until covered. Place on a cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes. Let cool on cookie sheet for a couple of minutes, then transfer to a cookie rack to finish cooling. This is not my pic, but this is how they come out looking:

These cookies come out very fluffy and tender; I made some using this past weekend using lemon cake mix and received raves
    NoDayButToday and Flygirl like this.

I make a similar cake mix cookie. The results look very similar, and whenever I make them, they disappear. They do require a bit more planning though because of the softening the cream cheese and butter, plus the refrigeration time, but so easy to make.

1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    Confectioner’s sugar, for dusting
    1 (18 ounce) box moist chocolate cake mix
    1 (8-ounce) brick cream cheese, room temperature
    1 egg
    1 stick of butter, room temperature

Directions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large bowl with an electric mixer, cream the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the egg. Then beat in the vanilla extract. Beat in the cake mix. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours to firm up so that you can roll the batter into balls. Roll the chilled batter into tablespoon sized balls and then roll them in confectioner’s sugar. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, 2 inches apart. Bake 12 minutes. The cookies will remain soft and gooey. Cool completely and sprinkle with more confectioners’ sugar, if desired.

Quote Originally Posted by NoDayButToday View Post
    Oh, I've got a simple meal going right now in the crockpot so thought I'd share it.

Rack of babyback ribs, make a quick rub out of brown sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, cayenne, garlic/onion powders and rub into both sides of the rack of ribs. Put in crockpot standing up (as opposed to laying flat, the ribs rest against the edge of the crockpot), and cook on low for 7 hours. I also wrapped 2 potatoes in tin foil and put those in the middle of the crockpot to cook at the same time. After 7 hours, turn on your broiler, pull out the ribs and put them on a baking pan, and brush some barbecue sauce on the ribs. Broil for about 5 minutes to let the sauce cook. Serve with the potato and something green (I've got a spinach salad I threw together to go with it). Really simple and only about 5 minutes of actual work.
    These sounds really yummy. I've never made ribs, but my SO loves them and I'd love to make them one night. This also sounds super simple. Thanks.

For a couple days, the boys and I were on a 'German baby' (recipe found on Allrecipes.com) binge. Couldn't get enough of it and it's so easy to make, quick too.
    It's basically a giant yorkshire pudding.
    It's been funny to say to my boys "I've got a german baby in the oven for you"
    okay.........maybe not that funny

2 eggs
    1/2 cup flour
    pinch of salt
    oil or butter

pre-heat oven to 420
    Mix ingredients til smooth
    coat a cast iron pan with a good amount of oil or butter and heat in oven for a few minutes, the pan and oil has to be very hot for this to work
    pour batter in pan and place back into the oven for 15-20 mins
    Expect the top to fall once out of the oven
    serve sprinkled with icing sugar, jam, syrup or fruits

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information