Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Request Thread - For recipes suitable to Type II Diabetes folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bombshell View Post
    Have you tried cutting the cuke in half and using a spoon scooping out the seeds before you eat it? For me, that fixes the repeating problem.
    we buy the English cucumbers here. they are 'seedless'. burps aren't as bad LOL
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

A*O

Another way of looking at it is to stick to low GI (Glycaemic aka sugar Index foods). Potato is high GI. Sorry. But each diabetic responds differently to different carbs so the only way of monitoring your blood glucose accurately is by testing yourself 2 hours after eating. It's not rocket surgery.

If you go Low Fat too it's tougher because many "low fat" foods have lotsa sugar, especially our old friend High Fructose Corn Syrup pumped into them to make them palatable. It's best to avoid processed foods altogether.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

We don't eat a lot of processed foods but we both like yogurt. I'm fanatical about reading labels anyway, so no change there!
    Free Charmed.

A*O

Yogurt is fine provided its plain and unsweetened. I actually prefer it to the flavoured stuff.
    Dame Edna Everage

I am with A*O on Low Carb and Low Fat. I think you shouldn't go overboard with the low fat and give precedence to low carb. Talk to your doctor too. Fat is fattening, true but it's also very filling and you end up eating smaller quantities while remaining satisfied in a new diet. I think that for diabetics it is not a necessity to go low fat.

For yogurt I recommend eating it with nuts, it's amazing with some unsalted almonds or other nuts. In general, look into adding nuts to things, you get a satisfying crunchy feel when missing bread and other carbs. Totally recommend roasting unsalted skinned almonds, it is a very satisfying almost sweet taste.
    Last edited by yanna; January 7th, 2013 at 04:14 AM.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

A*O

Right. Low fat isn't a priority for controlling diabetes. Nuts are great! Use ground almonds instead of wheat or other grain flours. Make almond muffins with it using Splenda instead of sugar if necessary.
    Dame Edna Everage

No, fat isn't an issue in controlling diabeties, but it is when you are trying to lose weight.
    we're just trying to be more healthy.
    Free Charmed.

1. stir-fries!
    they're the best way to eat a tonne of green veggies and lean protein. tasty and low carb and you can have that for dinner and make wraps with a whole wheat or corn tortilla for the next day.

i buy a lot of ground turkey. the stuff i get is ground turkey breast and 99% fat free, and i just use a wee bit of sesame oil and a wee bit of olive oil, sauté some green onions, a bit of garlic, some grated ginger, then add the ground turkey, bok choy, red cabbage, julienned carrot, snow peas, mushrooms (veggies in order of which ones take longest to cook), soy sprouts. add a bit of fish sauce and soy sauce and a bit of sriracha for some kick, or sweet chili sauce (or maybe not that if you want to avoid the sugar) and walla.
    people like to eat that with rice and noodles but i usually skip those and just have a bowl of yummy stir-fry and it's enough.

2. zucchini 'pasta'.
    julienne zucchini (worth investing in a mandolin for this), and sprinkle with salt as if it were aubergine/eggplant, to get all the water out of it. let it rest for maybe half an hour, then rinse and dry on a paper towel and either eat it raw or just toss it in a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil to warm it up. make any kind of sauce or topping you want and serve on top of the 'pasta'.

3. omelettes.
    use more whites than yolks. and if you separate the whites from the yolks and beat the whites first, it will be fluffier and bigger. get creative with the stuffing for the omelette. anything from cherry tomatoes and spinach and goat's cheese to anything you can think of.
    i like to chop an onion first in the pan, throw the eggs in once the onion is golden, then cover for a bit and when the egg starts to cook, throw in your filling, cover again, then flip when it's almost all done.

4. dough-less 'quiche'
    basically a sort of soufflé.
    beat a bunch of egg whites. then mix in some of the yolks (but less yolks than whites). a dash of milk, salt, pepper, and all kinds of filling - anything from veggies to chicken sausage, cheese, mushrooms, anything you want really. pour into a pan/pyrex and stick in the oven.
    yanna and Waterslide like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Oooh! Good call Sput. I keep seeing the veggie pasta thing on Pinterest but didn't understand it!
    Free Charmed.

^^
    haha that's where i got the idea from as well and i finally tried it out. the first time i tried it, the recipe i used didn't tell you to salt the zucchini so it was kind of soft and wet and not very pasta-like but then i found one that said to salt it and it makes all the difference.
    i've also seen recipes for butternut squash pasta but haven't tried it yet and i imagine that's more carb-y than zucchini.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Is spaghetti squash carby? I adore that stuff. You can put any sauce you like on it, but I actually prefer it with some garlic and olive oil or butter. I eat so much zucchini in the summer, but never tried it as pasta.

Found this from a diabetes forum. (And incidentally, I had a cat that looked almost just like that!)

misty
    D.D. Family pre-diabetic for type 2 as of 3/08, no meds

Join DateJanuary 2008LocationNortheastPosts> 100

Spaghetti squash

We all are more than likely worried a little about what to eat during the holidays that will not give us spikes. Spaghetti squash comes to mind because it's not only very low in carbs but also delicious and filling.

Spaghetti Squash

1 cup serving:

Sodium 28 mg.

Carbohydrate 10g.

Fiber 2.2g.

Sugar 3.9g.

Protein 1g.

Total Fat 0.4g.

Here is a little information on this wonderful vegetable....................

http://www.stopagingnow.com/news/new...aghetti-Squash
    Spaghetti squash
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    1. stir-fries!

4. dough-less 'quiche'
    basically a sort of soufflé.
    beat a bunch of egg whites. then mix in some of the yolks (but less yolks than whites). a dash of milk, salt, pepper, and all kinds of filling - anything from veggies to chicken sausage, cheese, mushrooms, anything you want really. pour into a pan/pyrex and stick in the oven.
    I make my quiche with a riced cauliflower for the crust.

There's a pasta called "Dreamfield" that's marketed for diabetics. Being Type 2, I gave it a whirl. It was ok, but I'm not much of a pasta fan to begin with.
    Diabetics should avoid egg yolks as we also tend to have higher cholesterol levels.
    Novice likes this.

^ Apparently that Dreamfields pasta does have hidden carbs and effects some people the same as normal carbs while others not at all. But it normally makes people gassy.

Mashed cauliflower with garlic butter and grated cheese mixed in is nice. Use cauliflower instead of potato in leek & potato soup (with tasty cheese and ham/bacon bits of course!!). Thinly sliced courgettes with just a smidge of garlic butter and seasoning roasted in the oven like potato crisps are yummy
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Hi - Bumping this thread, I'm curious how everything is going.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information