Login to remove the ads!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Request Thread - For recipes suitable to Type II Diabetes folks.

Thanks A*O.
    We're trying a more Atkins-type (with low fat) diet and he is feeling much better. Amazingly so (and he's still eating carbs - 40g-60g per meal as per the US Diabeties thing recommendation), anyway, it seems to be working.
    The most amazing thing to me is that he is not only willing to change but has done so!

However, if anyone has any fave recepies, please do post! McJag, I keep meaning to look for Angelfood cake mix in the supermarket, but I haven't remembered yet! Doh!!!

Blog Entries

Nov, Amazon have a pretty good grocery section - they have the angel food cake mix there if you can't find it in a supermarket Betty Crocker Angel Food Food Cake Mix 453 g (Pack of 2): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery
    Novice and McJag like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    You need to take care choosing the water then, Pelligrano is nice & tastes nice flat too.
    Haven't had Pelligrino in years, maybe I'll pick up a bottle....

Quote Originally Posted by Moongirl View Post
    A nutritionist I used to work with suggested using carbonated water like Schweppes, and adding Crystal Light to it (personally, I like the Wal Mart brand of "crystal light" type of powder). Just pour the powder into the bottle, and you have a sugar free flavored "soda". Just be careful and re-cap the bottle quickly, it tends to bubble over when you pour the powder in.
    That's a good idea, I could try that. The only problem is that I had to drink Crystal Light when I was sick a long time ago so I associate it with that. But I could give the walmart brand a try.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    Nov, Amazon have a pretty good grocery section - they have the angel food cake mix there if you can't find it in a supermarket Betty Crocker Angel Food Food Cake Mix 453 g (Pack of 2): Amazon.co.uk: Grocery
    Wow is that expensive! Is it expensive because it's from Amazon or is that how much it normally costs in the store? That's roughly $9/box and you can get here for about $2/box.
    "And yes, Miraval rosé is best served uncool." ~Michael K
    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Atkins is good, my mother had a severe hypoglycemia for some time, and I found myself reacting the same way to carb loaded meals. Cauliflower is great and there are actually cauliflower pastas out there. I like the plate division thing you posted, we do the same thing; giant pile of spinach, then the meat and the good stuff.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

This is my favorite snack: Cauliflower broken in pieces. Sprinkle with Cavenders Greek Seasoning. OMG! The greatest.
    I think it is OK for diabetics. Is it,Msdeb or A*0?
    Novice likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

cauliflower is good for you. i don't eat a lot of it because it repeats on me (kinda like cucumbers) i love love love asparagus. i bake it in the oven with some olive oil and sea salt. yummmy.
    McJag and Novice like this.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Wall o'text should be outlawed. Paragraphs are everyone's friend.

Since I've seen a lot of talk of mashed caulliflower, I make it using this recipe and it is divine. We're talking so good it's almost better than regular mashed potatoes and it doesn't smell like caulli at all. It is important to microwave it like it says in it cause when I've made after boiling or steaming the caulliflower it was a usually kinda yucky. Not sure if it is in the recipe but I would add a bit of paprika and at least one clove of garlic. In a bid to keep calories down I also used creme fraiche and not heavy cream and didn't even notice any difference.

In fact you can sub caulliflower for a number of carby sides. A lot of people make caulliflower "rice" and say it is fantastic. I haven't attempted it myself. And you can even fry the hard parts of the caulliflower as a fries substitute or basically bake it and smother it in cheddar sauce and maybe some bacon.

Mushrooms are your friends if you guys like them and basically just make anything you would normally make but take out the carbs and it should be fine. I think fruit is a very bad idea but raspberries have a pretty low carb count. Not sure about dairy with diabetes, my diabetic friend was told to stay away from it except for some cheese and maybe yoghurt.
    Novice likes this.
    Under the most beautiful peacock's tail always hides the usual chicken butt.

A*O

Most veggies/salads are absolutely fine and you can prepare them any way you want. Be careful with peas, carrots, pumpkin and tomato as they are more carby. Lentils and legumes (canellini, borlotti, kidney beans etc) can be tricky too. It's all about the carbs. There are probably carb counter Apps you can consult or get a booklet. Plenty of them about.
    Novice likes this.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

What about baked sweet potatoes? Those are soooo good, but not sure about diabetics. Would they be OK?
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Probably not due to the carbs in the potato & the sugars.....

Ah. Pity!

Not really, we don't really like them.

Quote Originally Posted by msdeb View Post
    cauliflower is good for you. i don't eat a lot of it because it repeats on me (kinda like cucumbers)
    Have you tried cutting the cuke in half and using a spoon scooping out the seeds before you eat it? For me, that fixes the repeating problem.

Both cauliflower and broccoli come back to haunt me as well. Love them, though.
    "Shopping tip: You can get shoes for a buck at the bowling alley."

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Since I've seen a lot of talk of mashed caulliflower, I make it using this recipe and it is divine. We're talking so good it's almost better than regular mashed potatoes and it doesn't smell like caulli at all. It is important to microwave it like it says in it cause when I've made after boiling or steaming the caulliflower it was a usually kinda yucky. Not sure if it is in the recipe but I would add a bit of paprika and at least one clove of garlic. In a bid to keep calories down I also used creme fraiche and not heavy cream and didn't even notice any difference.

In fact you can sub caulliflower for a number of carby sides. A lot of people make caulliflower "rice" and say it is fantastic. I haven't attempted it myself. And you can even fry the hard parts of the caulliflower as a fries substitute or basically bake it and smother it in cheddar sauce and maybe some bacon.

Mushrooms are your friends if you guys like them and basically just make anything you would normally make but take out the carbs and it should be fine. I think fruit is a very bad idea but raspberries have a pretty low carb count. Not sure about dairy with diabetes, my diabetic friend was told to stay away from it except for some cheese and maybe yoghurt.
    I've had issues with high blood sugars, though I haven't been diagnosed as diabetic; I was told to limit my milk intake, no milk at night, etc.(it's considered a carb, and is high in sugar due to the lactose), and eat only sugar free yogurts. Cheeses are OK, in fact, their encouraged. I bought some lactose free milk one time thinking it would be better; turns out they add other sugars to make up for the sweetness lost by removing the lactose, and ends up having a higher sugar/carb content than regular milk.

^For some reason the cucumber thing reminded me of Jacques Pepin and this recipe for gazpacho. Are tomatoes OK to eat? I watched him make this gazpacho and it looks super easy. I can't get it to copy and paste, so the link is for google books. Anyway, clearly it has croutons at the top of the list, but just forget about those. I'd use a celery stick or something if you want a crunchy accompaniment, but you use part of the veggies for garnish anyway. It's kind of a painless way to get a lot of vegetables all at once.

Jacques Pepin's Simple and Healthy Cooking - Jacques Pépin - Google Books
    "And yes, Miraval rosé is best served uncool." ~Michael K
    Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information