Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Need a Recipe for A Good Gravy...

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I have used cornstarch for my smothered pork chops recipe...you have to be careful with it - it's denser than flour, so you don't have to use as much.
    Yep, a little bit goes a long way with cornstarch. And I wouldn't mind a good smothered pork chops recipe...I don't like mine at all.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I would never use cornstarch! Did you see the Chopped Chefs cringe when somebody added that instead of flour for beef gravy? I would never chance it! Asian I can see.
    The very thought of cornstarch used in a gumbo roux is obscene! The flavor would be way off. I urge you all not to use anything but flour with any plain American beef or chicken dish. Really!
    Water, it will be lighter, but the taste will follow right behind! Flour=richer flavor..
    I'd never put cornstarch in gumbo! LOL at the thought of how disgusting that would be. Other than that I'm fairly neutral on the topic, I've had gravy that tastes really good both ways.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    I think McJag feels the need to add a goddammit to that. A flour v corn starch rant, will raise the hair and get some cackles uproared. Push that shit any further and she may start clutching pearls.
    I will fetch my string of pearls.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    I've only ever made gravy with meat or turkey drippings after you're done roasting the meat. But my mother taught me that the trick is to brown the flour in a skillet first until it turns brown. Then you take a tablespoon or two of the drippings and whisk it together with the brown flour, quickly so it doesn't form lumps, until it's thick and smooth. Then you add more of the drippings or broth and let it simmer until it's the consistency you want. I never have to season it because the drippings from the meat are already seasoned but I recommend looking up gravy recipes for Martha Stewart for that.
    I agree about the seasonings. I hardly ever stick fresh herbs or garlic or even salt or pepper in pan gravy. Some people like doing that, I guess, but I really don't want rosemary and tarragon swimming around in my gravy. I've made roux that way, too, not directly in the roasting pan. Depends on whose house I'm cooking in.

So does anyone have a good recipe for Sawmill or Sausage gravy? Every time I make it, it turns into paste no matter how much milk I use. And I definitely use flour for that. lol
    tealbeal likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

That video is good, but I use the fat they skimmed off the top, not butter. Also,I use a black skillet. I use 2 TBS oF the fat, 2 tbs of flour (or 3 of each) and stir until nicely brown. Raw flour is awful. Then add hot broth & wisk in very well. Let simmer until it thickens. It should be a rich brown & make sure it is well seasoned. You have to taste it...
    Fat and flour must be equal amounts. Do not shake flour and water. Ever! Make it all in the pan or skillet.

Oh-and I do not strain the gravy. If it has some bits of turkey or meat,fine. It tastes dee-vine!
    This (but I suck at gravy Mel is the master)

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I know this will make several people here cringe but you want a great gravy?

use bacon grease
    hell if you want a good anything use bacon grease

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    A package of Knorr.

I kid people, I kid.
    *snort
    I've only ever made gravy with meat or turkey drippings after you're done roasting the meat. But my mother taught me that the trick is to brown the flour in a skillet first until it turns brown. Then you take a tablespoon or two of the drippings and whisk it together with the brown flour, quickly so it doesn't form lumps, until it's thick and smooth. Then you add more of the drippings or broth and let it simmer until it's the consistency you want. I never have to season it because the drippings from the meat are already seasoned but I recommend looking up gravy recipes for Martha Stewart for that.
    this is how my Nanny does it but I usually end up burning the damn shit.
    Now for Angie's funny moment of the fucking thread. My first attempt at gravy(Mel wouldn't help me the evil whore) Good God ya'll it was bad this shit looked like well shit. lumps, too much water, too much flour so I go to throw it out the back door because I was pissed! The shit stuck to the pan and somehow managed to go all over the door steps, before I could get it cleaned up my midget friend comes up and slips and falls in the shit, the funny part is I had a dachshund who was bulimic so my friend thought she slipped in dog puke lol!
    McJag, Waterslide, BITTER and 2 others like this.
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    This (but I suck at gravy Mel is the master)

hell if you want a good anything use bacon grease

*snort

this is how my Nanny does it but I usually end up burning the damn shit.
    Now for Angie's funny moment of the fucking thread. My first attempt at gravy(Mel wouldn't help me the evil whore) Good God ya'll it was bad this shit looked like well shit. lumps, too much water, too much flour so I go to throw it out the back door because I was pissed! The shit stuck to the pan and somehow managed to go all over the door steps, before I could get it cleaned up my midget friend comes up and slips and falls in the shit, the funny part is I had a dachshund who was bulimic so my friend thought she slipped in dog puke lol!
    I love that gravy story! I wish something that exciting happened to me. Mine just tastes burnt and I bitch about it a lot which is just not that entertaining.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I always keep a bottle of Gravy Master on hand. Add some into the drippings along with cornstarch and sometimes a stock if there's not enough liquid.

^Yep, gravy master is nice to have.

So does anyone have a recipe for white gravy that doesn't turn into glue? Maybe I'm not adding enough milk or something?
    ~Manx Mouse

A recipe for gravy? This does not compute. You learn to make gravy by watching your mom/grandma or reasonable substitute thereof.
    McJag, shedevilang and Mel1973 like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I've always used butter instead of oil or at least add butter to the oil when roasting anything for its' flavor and stock instead of water with flour to make my gravies. I make it in the pan I've roasted the meat in.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    ^Yep, gravy master is nice to have.

So does anyone have a recipe for white gravy that doesn't turn into glue? Maybe I'm not adding enough milk or something?
    sounds like you need to add more milk and less flour
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    A package of Knorr.

I kid people, I kid.
    Good thing you're kidding. That McJag owns a pistol!

Mmmmmmm gravy *drool*

Cook your chicken in an oven bag or crockery with a lid so there are lots of juices. Use the chicken juice (removing most of the fat from the top) and use the juice from boiling peas/broccoli. Mix a bit of the juice with a tablespoon of flour or so and then mix this into the juice. Boil it down til it thickens. Add salt and pepper. So simple. It's just what you do with any roast meat here!
    And so, I will keep fighting to make the US a more progressive, multi-cultural country, and my fight starts on GossipRocks - mikesandy

Quote Originally Posted by MrsDark View Post
    I know this will make several people here cringe but you want a great gravy?

use bacon grease
    cringe? why? that's the gospel you're preaching, sister!
    Noooooooooooooooo! Flour only, never cornstarch!
    I have to agree with McJag on this. Cornstarch is not a base for gravy, it is a thickener only. And also used for diaper rash.
    I like cornstarch better for certain gravies. Depends on what I'm making though. It's really good for making Asian food.
    *shakes head at yankee*
    I would never use cornstarch! Did you see the Chopped Chefs cringe when somebody added that instead of flour for beef gravy? I would never chance it! Asian I can see.
    The very thought of cornstarch used in a gumbo roux is obscene! The flavor would be way off. I urge you all not to use anything but flour with any plain American beef or chicken dish. Really!
    Water, it will be lighter, but the taste will follow right behind! Flour=richer flavor..
    I LOVE Chopped!
    wait... are you browning the flour on it's own or is there something in your cast iron skillet (you better have one!) like oil/butter/drippings?
    Yep, a little bit goes a long way with cornstarch. And I wouldn't mind a good smothered pork chops recipe...I don't like mine at all.

I'd never put cornstarch in gumbo! LOL at the thought of how disgusting that would be. Other than that I'm fairly neutral on the topic, I've had gravy that tastes really good both ways.

I will fetch my string of pearls.

I agree about the seasonings. I hardly ever stick fresh herbs or garlic or even salt or pepper in pan gravy. Some people like doing that, I guess, but I really don't want rosemary and tarragon swimming around in my gravy. I've made roux that way, too, not directly in the roasting pan. Depends on whose house I'm cooking in.

So does anyone have a good recipe for Sawmill or Sausage gravy? Every time I make it, it turns into paste no matter how much milk I use. And I definitely use flour for that. lol
    I worry about you a little.
    For a good sausage gravy, I would definitely start with a bacon/sausage dripping roux.
    1. Cook sausage (pan, I assume), drain drippings back into skillet (you better have one too!) - set sausage aside.
    2. Add flour a tablespoon at a time. You're gonna want a nice thickish consistency - and you're going to cook it on low (do NOT get impatient with your roux) until it is a beautiful peanut butter color. You WiLL stir it then entire time.
    3. Once you get your roux the peanut butter color, you will begin to whisk in milk/cream. Once you get your gravy to the consistency you want (this is up to you), add your sausage back into the gravy. keep your heat on low. let it cook so the flavors blend/marry up for about 15 or 20 minutes.
    4. serve over biscuit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    I always keep a bottle of Gravy Master on hand. Add some into the drippings along with cornstarch and sometimes a stock if there's not enough liquid.
    wtf is gravy master?

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    A recipe for gravy? This does not compute. You learn to make gravy by watching your mom/grandma or reasonable substitute thereof.
    You really DO have to watch someone do it... and smell the smells so that you WILL know when you are doing it properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by SuriCruise View Post
    Mmmmmmm gravy *drool*

Cook your chicken in an oven bag or crockery with a lid so there are lots of juices. Use the chicken juice (removing most of the fat from the top) and use the juice from boiling peas/broccoli. Mix a bit of the juice with a tablespoon of flour or so and then mix this into the juice. Boil it down til it thickens. Add salt and pepper. So simple. It's just what you do with any roast meat here!
    You know, I never make meat gravies.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

My mom never made gravies, but she did make some fantastic cream sauces. I just worked from there and came up with a recipe almost exactly like what Mel described.
    Waterslide likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Elite Member

I usually use the pan grease/stuff stuck to the bottom to start. I made milk gravy on cube steak the other night. I would only use a milk gravy with fried beef though. For chicken or pork I use canned chicken broth for extra liquid. Pour the liquid (milk or broth) in with the pan drippings, bring to a boil, make a roux of cornstarch and the liquid in a separate cup, and add to the boiling liquid as you stir. It should thicken up in a couple of minutes. If I'm using milk gravy for beef, I throw a beef bullion cube in there for extra flavor. Be sure to scrape the bottom.
    Waterslide likes this.

Bitches! Now I want biscuit and gravy, bacon and eggs!!!!!!
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post

wait... are you browning the flour on it's own or is there something in your cast iron skillet (you better have one!) like oil/butter/drippings?
    just the flour. You heat the pan and stir the flour around on its own, you'll see it change colours and turn a nice golden colour, you just have to stir often so it doesn't burn and the minute it turns golden, you add a bit of drippings, just a little, whisk it together until the flour dissolves, then slowly add the rest of the drippings.
    And yes, I've got a cast iron skillet!

it's totally worth browning the flour beforehand, it gets rid of that raw flour flavour and I find it makes the flour more soluble.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information