Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Help needed - breakfast recipe for crowd

Breakfast burritos (with and without meat), silver dollar pancakes, apple brown betty (top with generous amount of oatmeal) with various toppings on the side ie: nuts, fruits, yogurt, bagels with cream cheese and a tray of fresh fruits.

If you go with the burritos (which I think is a great idea BTW, filled with bacon or sausage and egg and cheese and potatoes), you can use a cooler to keep them warm. Just fill the cooler with hot water and dump it out right before you load it up. You can also heat up a couple of foil wrapped bricks in the oven beforehand and put those at the bottom of the cooler and put a towel over them and then load the burritos on top. Just be sure to keep the burritos at over 140. Don't want to give everyone the runs!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

Oh I like that brick idea.

Bagels, various toppings. Yogurt w/ granola/fruit on the side. I see you have a small portable grill...we've precooked sausage and bacon - wrapped in smallish packages and kept warm on our little grill, rotating the packs.

What's the weather and temp like where you'll be, sluce?

It's still getting fairly warm in some parts of the country. For that reason, I like the muffin/bagel idea. They can be eaten at any temp without fear of anything going bad and some can be made so large as to be a meal by themselves. Some fruit and granola sounds good, too.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

There will be bagels and fruit but they need protein. The weather right now is expected to be sunny, around 60 and a light breeze. They arrive at the river at 6am. The first races are at 8:30. Then they get a few hours before the finals. That is when they need the protein for recovery and to get ready to go again. Then after the finals they, and the families, all eat together in celebration. It's the last race for fall season.

We have tried oatmeal before but the girls didn't like it and said it got lumpy. We do try to have hot water on hand so they can make instant if they want it, but without the big grill we won't be able to boil the water either.

It's looking like I will make breakfast burritos at my daughter's house and keep them as warm as I can. Love the brick in the cooler idea. I asked another family to bring a spiral sliced ham and another to bring rolls. One family is bringing a cheese tray and then others are bringing the bagels, cream cheese, veggie tray, hummus, and drinks. One mom said she will bring a few quiches too. She said they are good cold. I'm not a fan so I hadn't thought of that at all. I like the idea of yogurts so maybe I'll get people to bring some plain greek yogurt and then granola and cut up berries so the girls can make parfaits.

Thanks for all the great ideas!!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

What about those little sasuages wrapped in crescent rolls? Maybe with cheese inside,too. Those bricks will keep them toasty. 15 minutes prep time makes 48.
    Mini Crescent Dogs recipe from Pillsbury.com
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I love those McJag but we would have to make a ton of them! The pretzel stand at our farmers market sells them wrapped in pretzel dough with a great mustard.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Try this:

12 eggs
    1 bag hash browns
    1 lb browned crumbled sausage (or substitute bacon))
    2 cups cheese.
    1 cup milk
    Salt, pepper, onion to taste

Mix all incredients. Put in crockpot night before. Unplug crock pot while still hot and take it, it should stay warm. Use a crockpot liner and then you have no dishes. I've done this a couple times and it worked out well.
    sluce likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Dont you guys ever make pies?Like cheese pie or spinach pie or ground meat pie,or sausage pie?These are nice and easy to bake and keep warm.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Nope. LOL

Americans....lol
    sluce likes this.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

I'd make fritattas. They can be eaten at room temp, so they don't have to be hot. And there are a miilion versions: egg/potato, egg/asparagus, egg/peppers, etc.

sluce likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information