Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Food for toddlers

Get frozen veggies, peas, corn, mixed veggies. You can then just put some in a bowl and zap in the micro for a minute or 2, and then they're hot but not too hot. And they can eat them like finger food. I did that all the time.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

My 3 1/2 year old son has always pretty much eaten what we eat. Once he was about a 10-11 months we started to feed him what we ate, but mashed up. Once he was a year old he ate eggs probably once day, he loved them! Our 10mo. old daughter seems to be heading in this direction too as she won't eat pureed baby foods very often any longer. Though, I can still trick her with using a fork rather than a spoon.

My husband loves super spicy foods but he is used to taming them down for me, so that wasn't an issue. We eat out a lot and our son has eaten a ton of different types of cuisine. He loves all noodle type dishes, especially Pad Thai. We have a garden and he'll eat anything out of there, especially tomatoes. I think he likes to see that the food grew in our yard and he's more willing to try different veggies.

We have always figured that our son won't starve himself. He eats when he is hungry (though of course we have structured meal times and encourage him to at least try his food). There are days when he hardly eats and other days he will gorge. We try to make meal time happy rather than a battle. It sounds like what you are doing is just fine. There shouldn't be any reason why your child can't eat what you are - unless there are allergies involved.

Quote Originally Posted by dallison View Post
    Actually... kind of a funny story... my sister and her husband were watching my kids in the summer (so my kids were a little over 3). They were just snacking on different things my sister had. My daughter opened up the fridge and said, "Do you have any real food? Like chicken?" lol
    They're so used to "real" food and not just the quick stuff, that they're taste buds and habits have basically leaned towards the healthy stuff.
    Seriously! My kids are the same. My son (10) has this incredible palate where he eats stuff I do not even like and says 'Mum, you really should try this'. The only things he really does not like is rice and mango ( even told his teacher he was allergic to mango. I have never made them special kids foods, we all have the same for dinner.

I guess I'm less competent than the average mother, but I don't know how in the hell to not feed my nearly-2 year-old separately. I work full-time and when I pick him up from day care, he's starving. Well, he's always starving; you should see how much food this kid can put away, and he's on the small side. I get home well before hubby, and kid needs to eat right away. There is no "here, have a snack while mommy cooks" for him. Anyway, I feel like I'm feeding him nutritious, balanced stuff, but not a broad enough range and there are not usually leftovers on hand that he'll eat. Sometimes it sucks for both parents to work full-time and have no family around who will help.

Next month, I'll have to start packing lunches for him at his new school, as well. Check this out, these are awesome but I bet the other moms HATE her, lol:
    LunchboxAwesome: Archive
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Quote Originally Posted by dolem View Post
    ... Once he was a year old he ate eggs probably once day, he loved them!... We eat out a lot and our son has eaten a ton of different types of cuisine. He loves all noodle type dishes, especially Pad Thai. We have a garden and he'll eat anything out of there, especially tomatoes...
    My kids also LOVE eggs, noodles and tomatoes. Cucumbers are a favourite veggie too, but they've loved tomatoes from the get-go, and I think they would eat eggs three times day if we let them. They both recently devoured seaweed salad from the sushi restaurant, too - the noodly appearance and texture maybe?
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    I guess I'm less competent than the average mother, but I don't know how in the hell to not feed my nearly-2 year-old separately. I work full-time and when I pick him up from day care, he's starving.

Of course but I also give it to them separately (husband rarely comes home before 9.30 when they are already sleeping). They just get the same food.
    And it is hard to work full-time and have no help! I do have help and I still complain A LOT.

Manx, I think the point that I was making was that lots of toddlers/young kids are catered to by their parents. Meaning those parents that say Little Johnny will only eat X, so they make X for Little Johnny everyday no matter what the rest of the family is eating. They give in to a small child's whim on food and thus create a food issue. It's not the timing of when you feed you son. An easy way to introduce a wide variety of foods (assuming you eat a wide variety) is to serve last night's leftovers to your son. It's already made and can be reheated easily. Augment with a variety of veg and you have toddler dinner within 5 minutes of getting home. Sweet red peppers or fresh sugar snap peas were huge favorites in my house along with those applesauce cups.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Seems like those little brightly colored bell peppers would be a hit,too.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information