Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Favourite Soup Recipes?

This is a 5 star recipe for slow cooker split pea soup i found on
    it's so easy to make and it tastes amazing!

Vegetarian Slow Cooker Split Pea Soup

By whifflellama on September 11, 2008
    12 Reviews
    Prep Time: 10 minsTotal Time: 4 hrs 10 minsServes: 6-8, Yield: 8.0 cups
    About This Recipe
    "Got this recipe online a couple years ago. I've tweaked it a little bit and will probably continue to experiment by throwing other vegetables in. It's a great soup for a cold day when I know I won't have time to cook dinner. I usually make a batch and freeze what we don't eat. It tastes the same when reheated after the freezer, but the texture does change slightly. Lasts a few days in the fridge as well."
    16 ounces split peas
    4 medium carrots, peeled and diced
    1 -1 1/2 cup white onion, chopped
    2 garlic cloves, smashed
    1 bay leaf
    1 tablespoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    6 cups hot water
    Layer ingredients in order listed above. Do not stir
    Cover and cook until peas are soft High: 4-5 hours or Low: 8-10 hours
    Remove bay leaf and garlic (if it has held together) before serving.
    sluce and KrisNine like this.

Sleepy night night land

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    The Middle Eastern stew is so good I ate it again tonight. The recipe is in my previous post.

I will try that recipe Kris.
    Try it for sure. The first time I tried it, I didn't use low sodium tomatoes or broth and it was a little too salty (and not a good, flavorful salty). When I make it, I make some homemade crostini's with it and it's perfect.

This is a super easy recipe I make in the winter - soup or stew, depending on how thick you like it. Lately I've been going thinner, so right now it's a soup. It's a bastardized version of something called "Poor Man Stew" that my good ol' hungarian dad used to make.

1 garlic coil, cut in half lengthwise and then sliced into bite size pieces
    1 onion, chopped
    1 cup red lentils, rinsed
    1 litre chicken stock
    3 - 4 potatoes, chopped
    3 - 4 carrots, chopped
    2 bay leaves
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon vegetable oil

heat the oil in a medium pot and add the sliced garlic coil and paprika. Stir to distribute the paprika and let the meat brown. Cook for about five minutes. Add in the onion and cook until soft. Add in everything else, stir well. Bring to a simmer, cover, and let cook until veggies are soft - about thirty minutes.

You can also add a can of diced tomatoes, but lately I've been leaving that out.

fellow traveller

twitchy, that carrot coconut soup sounds amazing. my mom makes a curried carrot soup that is yummy and you can also use coconut milk instead of the evaporated milk she puts in it, sort of reminds me of yours. i have to get the recipe off her and i'll post it here.

this is a very simple veggie soup that is also the first soup i ever made.

carrot, leek, tomato and pea soup:

coat the bottom of a large pot in olive oil (or whatever kind of oil you use to cook).

throw in a couple of leeks (sliced). 'sweat' the leeks in the oil until they're translucent.

then add the carrots (thinly sliced) until they start to soften.

add a can of peeled tomatoes (the best for this are italian pomodori pelati).

add a (large) can of petit pois. you can also use fresh or frozen peas but i think canned petit pois are the one vegetable that actually tastes better canned.

add chicken broth (i buy the organic kind that comes in tetra paks, though sometimes i get organised and make my own broth and freeze it). you can use vegetable broth if you're one of those boring vegos but let's face it, all vegetable soups taste better with chicken broth, it's just a fact of life.

salt and pepper to taste. and also, a dash of balsamic vinegar goes great with this to bring out the flavours of the veggies. we're talking like a tbs or tbs and a half for an entire big pot of soup.

blend until it's a yummy, creamy consistency.

this soup is yummy with a dollop of sour cream on top and some toasted pumpkin seeds (just heat them in a pan in a tiny bit of olive oil, add a wee bit of cumin if you want them to have a bit of kick).
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information