Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Favourite Holiday Recipes - Special Treats and Delights

Sweet Potato Pie is so Thanksgiving in my family. Love it, and will most likely gain 5 pounds eating it, but oh, well.

2 cups cooked, mashed sweet potatoes
    1 cup sugar
    1/4 cup milk
    2 Tbsp. butter, melted
    1 tsp. ground cinnamon
    1/4 tsp. nutmeg
    1/4 tsp ginger
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 unbaked 9" pie shell

Combine everything (except the pie shell, obviously) and beat at medium speed until well blended. Spoon into pie shell. Bake at 425 for 35 minutes or until knife inserted halfway between center and edge of pie comes out clean. Cool before serving. Delish!

For deep dish pie, make 1 1/2 recipe, bake at 425 for 10 minutes, then reduce temp to 375 for 50-60 minutes.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

i spend so much time every year trying to dig this recipe out of the box. ugh. but its good and very tasty, NOT sweety at all!

1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
    2/3 cup evaporated milk
    2 tablespoons butter
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 jar (7oz) marshmallow cream. YUM
    2 packages milk chocolate chips
    1 package semi sweet chocolate chips
    1 cup walnuts. (optional)
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

put tinfoil inside of an 8 inch pan.
    COMBINE sugar, evaporated milk, butter and salt in mediumsaucepan. Bring to a full rolling boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, for 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat.

stir in marshmallow cream, chips, nuts and vanilla extract. Stir vigorously for 1 minute until melted. Pour into prepared baking pan; refrigerate for 2 hours or until firm. Lift from pan; remove foil. Cut into 48 pieces.

i keep this fudge in the freezer just before serving. it tastes good, but doesnt stay as hard as i'd like (GASP) it is SO good!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Two things the family would die if I didn't make for Thanksgiving dinner: Green bean casserole and cornbread dressing.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

Green bean casserole must be an American delicacy because I've never heard of anybody making it for the holidays in Canada. I'm going to make it some time. Anyway, here's my tried-and-true recipe for red cabbage:

Bavarian red cabbage (this is especially good with goose, turkey and pork)

a good tbsp of olive oil or other cooking oil, or bacon fat
    I red cabbage, medium size
    1-2 red apples
    1/4 vinegar, preferably red wine
    a couple of heaping tbsp. of dark brown sugar, or to taste
    a couple of bay leaves, or a handful of caraway seeds
    salt and pepper to taste

Remove outside leaves of cabbage. With a sharp knife, chop cabbage into small pieces. Throw into colander and rinse.

In large stove-top pot with lid put in a little good-quality olive oil. Put in cabbage and chopped apples. Stir mixture until soft.

Add remaining ingredients, cover and cook slowly, about 30 minutes. Cabbage is meant to be soft.

This keeps very well in the fridge. But whether you are serving it hot right away or a couple of days later, add about a tbsp of butter before serving it. You can also add a little bit of water or red wine when you re-heat it. It tastes better if it sits even a few hours.

I've had a lot of people who tell me they don't like cabbage come back for seconds of this.

I'm going to have to look at mine - this summer my mom gave me all her recipes. Handwritten in this beautiful cookbook (From Me to My Daughter) with extra blank pages for me to add my recipes and then continue to pass down. I almost cried. It's got all her casserole recipes (yes, the greenbean, the broccoli, the squash - all of 'em) and I love this damn book and it almost made me cry when she gave it to me.... each section has a little note to me from my mom. damn, I wish I hadn't thought about that book now. *sniffle*
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

^That's so sweet, I wish my mom would do stuff like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I'm going to have to look at mine - this summer my mom gave me all her recipes. Handwritten in this beautiful cookbook (From Me to My Daughter) with extra blank pages for me to add my recipes and then continue to pass down. I almost cried. It's got all her casserole recipes (yes, the greenbean, the broccoli, the squash - all of 'em) and I love this damn book and it almost made me cry when she gave it to me.... each section has a little note to me from my mom. damn, I wish I hadn't thought about that book now. *sniffle*
    That is a GREAT gift! Ahhh. How many times do you hear women say..I wish I knew how to make my Mom's..this or that. (only too late)

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^That's so sweet, I wish my mom would do stuff like that.
    my mom didn't always. i really didn't get along with her all that well when I was growing up but over the years, my dad getting killed and having a hellion of my own, I've at least come to understand her more and she's done the same.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

That's great. I am trying to get to that point with my mom but its a long hard road for me.

This one is from a Southern Lady I am not kin to, but her Grandson once dated my 2nd cousin. This is her recipe-an entire county in Mississippi makes this holidays & birthdays. Please -do not skimp on ingredients-use the very best you can or the taste will NOT be the same.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Miss Eff's Lemon Cake~~~~~~~~~~~~

1 cup butter
    3 cups flour
    1 cup milk, separated
    2 teaspoons cream of tartar
    2 cups sugar
    4 eggs
    1 teaspoon soda

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Sift dry ingredients into bowl. Add sugar, butter and 3/4 cup milk. Beat 2 minutes. Add eggs and rest of milk. Beat 2 minutes. Bake in 6 thin layers in greased and floured 9-inch cake pans about 12-15 minutes.

Filling
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    3 Tablespoons butter
    Rind and juice of 3 lemons
    3 eggs, beaten

Stir eggs and sugar with butter in top of double boiler until well mixed. Add lemon and cook until thick enough to spread, about 30 minutes.

The person who gave this recipe said to increase the filling recipe by 1/3 so to have lots of filling.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

We eat this on Christmas morning. This isn't the exact recipe we use, but it looks close. It's easy to make and everyone likes it.

Sausage Strata

1 pound bulk pork sausage
    1 (10.75-ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup sour cream
    6 whole English muffins, crumbled
    2 cups (8 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
    8 large eggs
    2 1/2 cups milk
    1 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    Freshly ground black pepper to taste

1. Brown and drain pork sausage; set aside.
    2. Mix soup and sour cream together; set aside.
    3. Line a generously greased 16 x 11-inch casserole dish with crumbled muffins.
    4. Beat eggs, milk, bell pepper, salt and pepper together in a separate bowl; set aside.
    5. Layer in casserole dish 1/2 of the cooked sausage, 1/2 of the shredded cheese and 1/2 of the soup mixture onto crumbled muffins. Repeat layers ending with soup mixture (so there will be two layers of each), then smooth with spatula.
    6. Pour egg/milk mixture over all, slightly tilting to allow egg mixture to seep beneath the top layer of soup mixture. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight.
    7. The next day, bake uncovered at 300°F (150°C) for 1 hour. Let cool for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

Serves 12 people.

Homemade chocolate fudge.
    You have to try this. I know people that have asked my mom to make this and to bury them with a plate of it when they die....lol, they love it that much.

Mix together 3 cups sugar (I use dixie crystal, but just make sure you use a very good brand, no store brands), 2/3 cups hershey cocoa, a dash of salt, and 1 can of evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat for 20. Be careful because it will be VERY hot and it will pop on your hands. After 20 minutes check to see if it's ready by placing a little of the mixture in a cup of cold water (just dip some out of the and drizzle into the water), If the mixture will form a ball it's ready to be taken off the burner. As soon as you take it off the burner you add a stick of butter (again, use a good name brand of pure butter), add a teaspoon of vanilla extract and beat until stiff, then add 1 cup of pecans and pure into a baking dish.

Let cool and then cut in to square and enjoy with a nice glass of milk.

I'm definitely going to make that fudge when I go home for Thanksgiving, Sweetie!

Here is another recipe:

Spiked Apple Cider
    5-1/3 cups water
    4 orange spice tea bags
    2/3 cup light brown sugar
    2-2/3 cups apple cider
    2 cups light rum
    10-1/2 cinnamon sticks
    1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon butter

1. Pour water into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and toss in the orange spice tea bags. Cover and let steep 5 minutes. Remove tea bags and stir in sugar, apple cider, rum, and 2 of the cinnamon sticks. Heat just to steaming -- do not boil.

2. Ladle hot cider into 6 mugs and drop 1/2 teaspoon butter into each. Garnish with a cinnamon "swizzle" stick.

I found it at Great Recipes Online.
    My friend and I made this for a party and it was great.

^ Girl, THANK YOU! I have wanted a cider recipe for years. I LOVE apple cider and get tired of the store bought brands.
    I hope you like the fudge, it's a pain in the ass to make because it is so hot and will pop on you but it is so worth it. It's so milky and chocolately and good. It's not grainy at all. I always loved the corner piece. haha

That sausage breakfast casserole sounds.. GREAT! I printed that one out to try.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information