Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Chocolate Mousse Cake

Default Chocolate Mousse Cake

Chocolate Mousse Cake

In Cakes, Desserts on January 18, 2009 at 3:32 pm

This cake automatically gives you an appointment to the nearest cardiologist. Just take a quick look: this cake contains: 9 eggs, almost half a kilo of chocolate and heavy whipping cream, not something you`ll eat very often.

But, lets look on the brighter side, shall we? although the cake has enough eggs and chocolate to feed a small village, it has only 120 gr. of butter, and only 70 gr. of sugar, such small amounts probably delete all the calories of the chocolate and the eggs, right??

Now, seriously, you must make this cake at least once. Though my picky brother may not agree with me, I think that this cake is the perfect combination between the baked base and the mousse. The base is basically baked chocolate mousse that is a kind of “melt in your mouth” kind of cake. The mousse is perfectly rich and dreamy, with a slight (slight!) taste of the rum and the amaretto. All in all, this cake simply wroth the calories, and if you are feeling a little bit guilty, eat a small slice, and after couple of hours, eat another one. I promise you the the guilt will just fade away!

A few bit a pieces to make this cake perfect: first, make sure to use only fresh eggs. This cake contains uncooked eggs, so be very careful with that. Second, after baking the base, it will fall, so be ready for that.

Chocolate Mousse Cake\ Orna Agmon, Ella Shine and Einav Berma- ORNA & ELLA- The Cook Book

Base:
    240 gr. bittersweet chocolate
    120 gr. butter
    1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon cocoa powder
    5 egg yolks (from medium sized eggs)
    5 egg whites (” “)
    1\3 cup (70 gr.) sugar
    pinch of salt

Chocolate Mousse:
    200 gr. bittersweet chocolate
    4 medium eggs
    1 1\4 teaspoon amaretto (almond-flavored liqueur )
    1 1\4 teaspoons rum
    1\2 cup + 1\3 cup (200 ml.) heavy whipping cream

Make the base:
    Wrap the bottom of a 26. cm. diameter cake pan with parchment paper. Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C. Put a pan filled with water in the bottom of the oven for steams.

Melt the chocolate and the butter in a bowl over simmering water, or in the microwave. Sift the cocoa powder into the chocolate mixture and mix until combined. Add the yolks, one after the other, and stir until mixture is smooth.

Using an electric mixer, whip the egg whites, sugar and salt until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped egg whites into the chocolate mixture. Pour into the pan and bake for 35-40 minutes, or until a cocktail stick inserted to the cake comes out dry. Take out from the oven and chill.

Make the chocolate mousse:
    Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water, or in the microwave. Add the eggs, one after the other, and whisk until the mixture is smooth. Add the amaretto and the rum. Whip the cream until forms soft peaks, and fold into the chocolate mixture.

Pour mousse on top of the chilled base, cover, and chill in the fridge for at least two hours, or mousse is set.

Chocolate Mousse Cake « Baking For The Cure
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Oh my God, this looks sooo good. Unfortunately I mess up every recipe I try, so I will never be able to enjoy this cake :-(

Thread Information