Thread: Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes

Default Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes

Individual Molten Chocolate Cakes

This is my third time making this cake. The first time was when my oven was broken. Suffice to say, I couldn’t get the timing right. The second time I made this was when I was away on vacation in Costa Rica. It was my night for dinner and I was cooking for seven. Clearly being in paradise, I didn’t want to spend all day in the kitchen. So I made Argentine Steak with Chimichurri and Papas Fritas for dinner and I made these individual cakes for dessert.

It was perfect… I made the cakes in the morning (in relatively no time) and put them in the fridge. I then hit the golf course and scored the best round of my life - 91, then hit the beach, and then got back to make dinner. As we were just finishing up eating dinner, I snuck back into the kitchen, popped the cakes in the oven for 8 minutes, took them out, and voila! They were an incredible hit, and I got a lot more credit for them than I deserved. They were just so simple to make.

These cakes are just so gushingly wonderous. The cakey part of them is moist and rich in dark chocolate and the molten center is warm and velvety. Mixed together on your tongue they create a power combo of textures. The flavor is mesmerizing… I should mention that conversation might just stop during dessert except for the sighs and moans of oohs and ahhs.

I highly recommend this for a dinner party. It will surely wow your guests, and give you tons of time to socialize. You wont be locked up in the kitchen all night prepping and cooking. Serve this sprinkled with sifted powdered sugar or whipped cream.

I
    got this recipe from MarthaStewart.com which was contributed by Ralph Rucci. I modified it to serve 2 people as shown below. Enjoy!

Recipe: Individual Chocolate Cake with Whipped Cream
    from MarthaStewart.com by Ralph Rucci
    Serves 2

Ingredients: Cake
    1/4 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
    cocoa powder, for dusting molds
    2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate
    1 large egg
    1 large egg yolk
    1/8 cup sugar
    1 tsp all-purpose flower
    Confectioners sugar, if desired for dusting finished cake
    Ingredients: Whipped Cream
    1 cup whipping cream
    2 tbls sugar

Directions: Cake
    Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Butter the 2 - 4 ounce ramekins and lightly dust the inside of each with cocoa powder, tapping out excess. Heat butter and chocolate in heat proof bowl set over (but not touching) simmering water until chocolate is almost completely melted. Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer, whisk egg, egg yolk, and sugar until light and thick. Slowly add butter mixture to mixer, add flower and mix until combined. Divide batter between ramekins. Place on a baking sheet and transfer to oven. Cook for 7 - 10 minutes - sides should be set and center soft.

Direction: Whipped Cream
    Take whipping cream and whip it using an electric mixer until firm and creating peaks. Add the sugar and beat again.

Serve whipped cream aside the warm cake - dust cake with confectioners sugar if desired.

http://thebitessite.com/?p=47
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Mariesoliel! Are you trying to win an award for most high calorie posts in one day?? You win!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I LURVE a molten chocolate cake. YUM!

Oh my God, I love Lava Cakes. I've made them from a similar recipe a couple times and they are so good.

Thanks!!! I'll try this, maybe tonight!

This is one of my husband's favorite cakes. I'll let you know how mine turns out!

Yum!!
    I am definitely going to try this recipe!

Ok, I tried this last night and it didn't set right. I baked it an extra 6 minutes and when it looked baked. Then when I took it out and put it in a bowl, it was like mush. We ate it with ice cream so it tasted okay, but it wasn't cake-like... it was more like pudding!

So I need to try it again, maybe I did something wrong.

DD you MUST figure out what you did wrong. i suck at baking, so i depend on others to get it right for me. Then i know i can do it! this cake seem so yummy!
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I need to get more chocolate chips and then I'll try it again and see if I have the same results.

I am pretty good at baking/cooking, but maybe I need to modify the recipe so it works for me.

I'll let you know!

I haven't tried it yet but will soon.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Thread Information