Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Pumpkin Quiche: I have questions

Default Pumpkin Quiche: I have questions

I once had a quiche do me wrong.

Here's the recipe: Savory Pumpkin Quiche
    Savory Pumpkin Quiche
    Makes 1 8-inch pie

Who says pumpkin pie has to be sweet? This version goes together in no time and makes a great autumn supper served with whole-grain bread and a tossed salad.

Directions
    1. Preheat oven to 400F. Sprinkle cheese over bottom of piecrust.
    2. Whisk together milk, eggs, thyme, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Blend in pumpkin. Pour mixture over cheese in crust.
    3. Bake 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 350F, and bake 45 to 50 minutes more, or until pie filling has set and tip of knife inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
    ingredient list Serves 6
    • 1/2 cup low-fat Gruyère cheese
    • 1 frozen 9-inch prepared piecrust
    • 1 cup low-fat milk
    • 2 large eggs
    • 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
    • 1/4 tsp. salt
    • 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
    • 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
    • 1 cup fresh or canned pumpkin purée
    I'm definitely buying the prepared crust. Screw it.

I don't think I like Gruyère cheese. Would ricotta work?

Will 10 minutes really get rid of all the raw egg?

Would it taste weird to throw in walnuts?

How long would this last in the fridge?

Can this be frozen and then nuked?

What if I used 3 egg whites instead of the yolks? Or what if I used only 1 yolk from the 2 large eggs?

I stopped buying regular milk when I discovered I preferred powdered milk. If I mix up a cup, do you think that will be ok for the recipe?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

prepared crust is fine.
    not sure about the ricotta
    you are cooking it 1 hour total. 10 min at 400 degress and then 50 min at 350 degrees
    walnuts awesome!
    probly 3 days in fridge, freeze is fine, then thaw and heat a short time in microwave
    I would stick with the correct amount of eggs so it will set up properly like a quiche is supposed to
    powdered milk fine
    hope it is tastie!
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Bake 10 minutes at 400 degrees,turn down heat to 350 for 45 more minutes-no raw egg! In this case,if you want it to taste right,use the low fat milk and 2 real eggs. Don't even try the other-the taste will not be right! Ricotta cheese will have a different flavor-are you sure you don't like Gruyere? Not sure about walnuts in this at all. Make it the way the recipe says at first. Frozen-doubtful, in fridge maybe 2-3 days.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

a mirowave will screw up the crust. it's never flaky if it's warmed in the microwave, it always goes soft.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by cupcake View Post
    you are cooking it 1 hour total. 10 min at 400 degress and then 50 min at 350 degrees
    I misread that. A major duh on my part. Attention and reading comprehension fail. Thank you, flexeril!

walnuts awesome!
    Woot!

I would stick with the correct amount of eggs so it will set up properly like a quiche is supposed to. powdered milk fine
    Ok, no foolin' with the eggs - good on the powdered milk!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Ricotta cheese will have a different flavor-are you sure you don't like Gruyere?
    Not alone, but you're right - maybe I have to try it in this recipe as a totality to see if it works.

Also , I think to be safe, I'll freeze only one piece as a my Experimental Quiche and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    a mirowave will screw up the crust. it's never flaky if it's warmed in the microwave, it always goes soft.
    Damn, I didn't realize that - I'll see what happens with my experimental one piece.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Thread Information