Thread: Your simplest pizza dough recipe?

Default Your simplest pizza dough recipe?

Something that doesn't involve a mixing machine? Something that a basic cook can handle? I have very little work space too.

I'm wondering if the prepackaged pizza dough is the way to go, but I'd still like to try my own - perhaps something that's healthy-ish too?

I looked up Bobby Flay's pizza dough recipe for his deep-dish pizza (which is really more like a veggie lasangne or a pot pie with tomato sauce), and it's all about a mixer and changing parts (paddle, hook).

I think I'm going to take inspiration from his deep dish and turn it into my own deep-dish pizza/pot pie/lasangne thingie in individual servings that I can reheat after work. At least that's one way to get my veggies.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

A*O

Jamie Oliver does a good one that you can make by hand but it's messy! Seems like an awful lot of fuss and bother so to be honest I buy ready-make frozen ones but only if they are the thin and crispy type.

Ingredients
    • 1kg strong white bread flour or Tipo ‘00’ flour
    or 800g strong white bread flour or Tipo ‘00’ flour, plus 200g finely ground semolina flour
    • 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt
    • 2 x 7g sachets of dried yeast
    • 1 tablespoon golden caster sugar
    • 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
    • 650ml lukewarm water

Sieve the flour/s and salt on to a clean work surface and make a well in the middle. In a jug, mix the yeast, sugar and olive oil into the water and leave for a few minutes, then pour into the well. Using a fork, bring the flour in gradually from the sides and swirl it into the liquid. Keep mixing, drawing larger amounts of flour in, and when it all starts to come together, work the rest of the flour in with your clean, flour-dusted hands. Knead until you have a smooth, springy dough.

Place the ball of dough in a large flour-dusted bowl and flour the top of it. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and place in a warm room for about an hour until the dough has doubled in size.

Now remove the dough to a flour-dusted surface and knead it around a bit to push the air out with your hands – this is called knocking back the dough. You can either use it immediately, or keep it, wrapped in clingfilm, in the fridge (or freezer) until required
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I cheat and use a bread maker to make the dough You could always make the base out of scone dough - which my mother used to do - it isn't as nice as proper bread in my option, but it's less of a pain in the butt to make by hand. A basic recipe for scones is -

3 cups plain flower
    6 teaspoons baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    75g butter
    1 to 1 1/2 cups milk

i cheat even more and buy the organic pizza dough from the supermarket. it's probably better than any dough i could make myself and it's not full of yucky transfats and other crap like the non-organic kind.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thank you, AO and michaelchance, for the recipes!

What I'm hearing is that people try to avoid using the homemade route for some good messy reasons. Hmmm...

Alright I might do it myself once for the experience of making and try the premade doughs. Sputnik, which manufacturer do you use?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

aries, i'm afraid i won't be of much help. right now i don't have one since i just changed countries but up until a week ago i'd use the organic dough from the swiss supermarket chain called co-op. they had their own line.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

The Pillsbury pizza dough out of the can, that's that fastest. I'm a HUGE gourmet!!

I buy mine at the pizzaria! Most of them sell it already risen, so all you have to do is spread it in the pan.

we go to our local pizza joint and they give it to us.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

I use whole wheat pita breads ... in fact, I always have several bags of pita breads in the freezer for just this purpose!

Slap the sauce and the toppings on a bread, whomp it in a hot oven for about five to seven minutes, and you've got pizza ... faster than both frozen and take-out!

i was also thinking, we make a very inexpensive homemade pizza. 2 pkgs of Jiffy Pizza Mix (59 cents) 1 bottle of ragu pizza sauce, grated cheese, and pepperoni. costs about 5 bucks to make the pizza and its awesome.
    Basic rule of Gossip Rocks: Don't be a dick.Tati
    Lighten Up Francis WCG

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    I use whole wheat pita breads ... in fact, I always have several bags of pita breads in the freezer for just this purpose!

Slap the sauce and the toppings on a bread, whomp it in a hot oven for about five to seven minutes, and you've got pizza ... faster than both frozen and take-out!
    You can stuff the pita pockets too! Stuffed crust pita pizza.... mmmm...
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

i practically lived on pita bread pizza when i was a student. i'd buy cheap mozarella and tomato sauce and use whatever leftovers i had in the fridge as topping.
    that and home-made hummus and carrots were pretty much my staples for 4 years.

Here's the recipe that originally inspired me to do the deep dish/pot pie-ish thing: Deep-Dish Pizza with Italian Sausage and Broccoli Rabe Recipe : Bobby Flay : Food Network

Thread Information