Thread: Chicken soup: your unique twists on the old standard?

Default Chicken soup: your unique twists on the old standard?

When I made it, I took breasts and poached them with the onions, celery, herbs, bay leaves, and carrots. Then I added rice, barley or noodles after taking the breasts out for dicing. Definitely not an all-day crock pot event for me.

I haven't made it in a long time, and now I have an itch to make it again. The sodium in the store-bought stuff is making me a puffy mess.

Everyone knows about the carrots and celery, but what tweaks do you add that make yours unique? Is it in the chicken prep, the spices, or the way of cooking it?
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Aries - when do you skim the fat off the top?

Your recipe looks perfectly delicious. I make my Jewish great grandmother's chicken soup. Unfortunately, there's no exact recipe and it's a two day adventure. There are no noodles or barley.

I'll try to recreate it here.

A huge pot of water

Add whole, trussed cleaned out chicken. (The chicken would “take a bath” as she’d say).

3 large onions - cut coarsely into medium sized chunks

A few stalks of fresh dill

Salt and pepper thrown in

Cook soup for 3 hours on low heat, covered

With a slotted spoon, remove bay leaf dill after 2nd hour.

(The water will have reduced, the fat will be floating around, that’s the soup you want).

Remove from heat, remove whole chicken carefully

Cut up chicken white meat into pieces and refrigerate

Put pot in refrigerator overnight, covered.

The next day:

Skim off cold fat on top the next day.

Return pot to stove

Add 7 stalks of celery, cut into small slices

5 carrots, cut into small slices

Add chicken pieces

Cook on stove covered for one hour, covered, medium heat.

Salt to taste.

Lower heat to low, let simmer and serve.

Sounds dee-vine,but no noodles or barley? What about rice? Needs something,to me. Just to be hardier. I's cols her-that's why!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

i do it pretty much the way chalet said but i like it with barley too. and i add leek. i don't think any soup is complete without leek.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Chalet, thank you so much for sharing that recipe!

I forgot to mention: usually when I take the chicken out for dicing, that's a good time for a skim, though I'll skim earlier if I see the need.

The dill and leeks are a good idea. I'm no longer intimidated by leeks since watching how to clean them on FoodNetwork.
    "I ransacked his drawers when he left me by myself at his place for the first time. That's how we did it in the good old days. Tells me all I need to know about him. He pretends he didn't notice. That's how good relationships start." - Chilly Willy

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    i do it pretty much the way chalet said but i like it with barley too. and i add leek. i don't think any soup is complete without leek.
    I forgot to say why no noodles or barley. Great grandma made her own kreplach and added those in. Those are Jewish Won-Tons.

She ground the beef with her fingertips and rolled the dough so paper thin you wouldn't believe it.

I have a great leek recipe. Will post.

^That looks so delish!

Another variation on making the soup: start with olive oil to saute chopped onions and a smashed garlic clove. Brown chicken. Then add water, veggies, seasoning.

I think that would make for a richer broth. I've never tried it before, but it makes the most of the browning and poaching approaches.

I also thought that adding some stewed tomatoes in a can or tomato paste from the start could do a lot for flavor - again, something I never tried before.

Thread Information