I make these for every occasion and everyone loves them. I took a basic recipe and slightly tweaked it over time to fit my cookie preference. I like chewy, moist, flat, gooey cookies. If you like cookies like that, then try this!

Another trick I use to get the chewy cookies: I have a cookie scooper so I can make perfect round balls to put on my cookie sheet. Once the balls are on the sheet, I take a spatula and push them down to flatten them slightly before I put them in the oven. It gives them a perfect shape and they end up chewy-flat, but not paper thin.

3/4 cup of butter (use REAL butter for best results)
2 eggs
2 cups of chocolate chips
1/2 cup of white sugar
1 1/2 cup of brown sugar
2 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper. (I use Pam cooking spray and/or a silicone cookie sheet)
  2. Sift together the flour, baking soda and salt; set aside.
  3. In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla and eggs until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until blended. Then add the chocolate chips. Drop cookie dough balls onto the prepared cookie sheets, spaced about 2 inches apart. See my trick at the top of the page about making them flat for the chewy texture.
  4. Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven. Don't cook them past 10 minutes or they will not be chewy enough. They easily overbake, watch them!
  5. Cool on baking sheets for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.