Thread: Apple Enchiladas

Default Apple Enchiladas

Yummy dessert, great with vanilla ice cream. It's easy to make and you can substitute the apples with peaches, cherries or blueberries.

1 (21 ounce) can apple pie filling
    6 (8 inch) flour tortillas
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/3 cup margarine
    1/2 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup packed brown sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
    2. Spoon fruit evenly onto all tortillas, sprinkle with cinnamon. Roll up tortillas and place seam side down on lightly greased 8x8 baking pan.
    3. Bring margarine, sugars and water to a boil in a medium sauce pan. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring constantly for 3 minutes. (I use the microwave with the same results)
    4. Pour sauce evenly over tortillas; sprinkle with extra cinnamon on top if desired. Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
    Last edited by DeadDwarf; November 6th, 2008 at 04:37 PM. Reason: To show you all what they look like!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Sounds really yummy. Could you use fresh apples? I've got a lot of them right now.

Yeah, I use fresh apples instead of apple filling. I like granny smith (green) apples.

Peel them and cut them up, I would say about 3-4 apples or so. Then put them in water and steam them in the microwave or in a steamer until you can slice them easily with a fork.

Then drain them and put them in a bowl, put about 1/8 cup of water in the bowl, some cinnamon, 1 tablespoon of cornstarch and 1/4 of white sugar. Mix it all up and let it sit for a little bit. I'll add more sugar if it looks like it needs it, but start with 1/4 cup. If you don't have cornstarch then don't worry about it, it will be fine.

That's usually what I do to substitute the filling.

Hope that helps.

Hit By Ban Bus!

It does. I'm actually getting tired of baked apples, apple crisp, applesauce -- this will make a nice change.

That sounds too good

Yummy sounds great!
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Thread Information