Thread: Apple cheddar omelette

Canada baby!

Default Apple cheddar omelette

Look at that photo! I made this breakfast a few weeks ago and when I look back to this photo, I think, damn, I've got some serious style here! Sure, I can make a mean oatmeal or scone but the eggs that come out of my kitchen aren't that photogenic. But now, I'm a believer. I gots skillz. Or maybe it's just that I bought a fancy (but inexpensive) Benriner Japanese Mandolin Slicer. Whatever it is, I feel like a pro.

The idea for the apple omelette comes from Crave, a local Vancouver restaurant. I've been there twice for brunch and both times I had their omelette with goat cheese and apples. It was some serious love at first bite but I never tried to recreate it until I had my hands on the mandoline. If you don't have a mandoline, fear not, just use very thin slices of apples instead or julienne it with a knife. I used cheddar since it's what I had on hand and it was delicious...but using goat cheese will create some serious love. I also had a bit of prosciutto and added it in, but you could skip it if you wanted to keep things vegetarian. This weekend, try something different and put your autumn apples to good use. And why not wander over to the Food Network Canada blog, Eating Well and read my post on Seed Saving at the UBC Farm.

apple cheddar omelette
    4 eggs
    2 T milk
    1 T olive oil or butter
    salt & pepper
    1/2 c grated cheddar cheese
    2 T diced prosciutto
    1 Granny Smith apple, julienned

Add butter or olive oil into a large cast iron pan and toss in the diced prosciutto, letting it get crispy. Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs, milk and salt and pepper in a small bowl. Slowly pour the egg mixture over the prosciutto and into the hot pan, tilting to spread the eggs evenly. Let eggs firm up a little, sloshing the mixture away from the sides and into the middle. Use your spatula to allow the remaining liquid to then flow into the undersides of the cooked eggs while still keeping the egg mixture even.

Continue to cook for another minute or so until the egg mixture holds together. While the middle is still a little runny, add grated cheese and then top with the julienned apples. Fold the omelette in half with your spatula. Cut in half and serve on a plate. Use any reserved matchstick apples as garnish. Serve with buttered toast and coffee while trying not to get a big head cuz dammit you just made a pretty spectacular omelette!

everybody likes sandwiches: get your egg cred here: apple cheddar omelette
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

fellow traveller

mmm looks delicious. i'm a huge fan of omelettes.
    one trick i've learned is that if you want the eggs extra fluffy, separate the whites from the yolks and beat the whites first on their own until a bit frothy, then mix in the yolks, milk, salt, pepper, etc... it takes a little bit more time but it's definitely worth it. also great if you want to be healthy and not use all the yolks.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information