Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spanakopita

Default Spanakopita

Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)

I have been wanting to try making spanakopita ever since I started exploring Greek cuisine. Spanakopita is a Greek pastry filled with spinach and cheese. I had been putting off making it because I had not worked with phyllo dough and it sounded a bit intimidating. Since I had now used phyllo dough to make baklava there were no more excuses to stop me from making the spanakopita.

The spanakopita turned out to be really easy to make. The filling is as simple as blanching the spinach and mixing all of the ingredients. The hardest part was working with the phyllo dough and once you get the hang of it, it is pretty easy as well. The phyllo dough needed to be thawed in the fridge over night. I set up a working area where I could stack the unused phyllo dough, brush the phyllo sheet that I was currently working on and then easily place it into the baking pan. With everything set up ahead of time working with the phyllo dough was pretty easy and the spanakopita came together in no time.

I decided to go with a pretty simple recipe sticking to the basics of spinach, feta and dill. The spanakopita was so amazingly good!! Spinach, feta and dill has to be one my favorites flavour combinations! The crust was nice and light and flaky and golden brown and crunchy and good. The Spinach filling was moist and super tasty! I made the crust thick enough that I could pick up the slice and eat it without having to cut it with an knife and fork. The leftovers still tasted great right out of the fridge but the crust was no longer crispy. I can't wait to make this again!

Ingredients:
    1 pound spinach
    5 ounces feta cheese (crumbled)
    1/2 cup dill (chopped)
    3 green onions (chopped)
    2 eggs (lightly beaten)
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/4 cup olive oil
    phyllo dough (thawed over night in the fridge)

Directions:
    1. Steam the spinach until it wilts.
    2. Run the spinach under cold water to stop the cooking process.
    3. Squeeze the spinach and drain.
    4. Mix the spinach, feta, dill, green onions, eggs, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
    5. Brush the bottom of an 8x8 inch baking pan with olive oil.
    6. Brush the top of a sheet of phyllo dough with olive oil and place it in the pan. (You may have to cut the phyllo dough to fit the pan.)
    7. Repeat until you have 6-8 layers depending on how thick you want the crust.
    8. Place the spinach mixture on top of the phyllo dough.
    9. Brush the top of a sheet of phyllo dough with olive oil and place it on the spinach.
    10. Repeat until you have 6-8 layers depending on how thick you want the crust.
    11. Bake in a preheated 350F oven until golden brown on top, about 30-50 minutes.

Closet Cooking: Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie)
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

SVZ

oooh i remember eating this stuff as a kid!

I love spanakopita. Actually I'm a big fan of Greek food.
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Τhat is more or less how i make it,i use more eggs tho.
    I made tyropitta today,cheese pie.
    You make it the same way,minus the spinach and you add more cheese,6 eggs and a chopped green pepper.
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

^^Oh thanks effie! How many more eggs do you put in your Spanakopita?

By any chance do you have a recipe for Dolmades & Moussaka?

Oh,i made moussaka for my eldest,s girl bday..cooking for 4 hours,totally worth it.
    If you are willing to cook your ass off,i am here and even if i say so myself,i am a great cook.
    Oh,i usually put 4 big eggs in spanakopita and 6 in tyropita.i ll go have a piece now..lol

Oh man, I've been dying to learn how to make this. That recipe makes it look very do-able. Thanks.
    My Posts Have Won Awards. Can Any Of You Claim The Same? -ur_next_ex

"I don't have pet peeves. I have major psychotic fucking hatreds, okay". ~George Carlin

I'll try it with the extra eggs in it effie

Also I would love to have your moussaka recipes. I had a friend in highschool who was Greek and her mom always used to make moussaka for us. We loved it. She used to substitute the eggplant with sliced potatoes I think.

Νah,you put eggplant and potatoes,i ll tell you how to make it when i have time ,it is worth it.

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

I love moussaka, and would kill for an authentic recipe, but my favourite Greek food of all is saganaki. I'd be big as a house if I ate it as often as I'd like to.

My dad makes the best moussaka and I have the recipe. I'll translate it and post it here at the earliest opportunity.
    He makes wicked dolmades too (mariesoleil, do you mean stuffed cabbage leaves or stuffed vine leaves?)

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

^^I would love to see the recipe. I have to make most dishes vegetarian, but I've had some very good veggie moussakas.

^ If you use tofu instead of minced meat it comes out very good, you can't even tell the difference

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    My dad makes the best moussaka and I have the recipe. I'll translate it and post it here at the earliest opportunity.
    He makes wicked dolmades too (mariesoleil, do you mean stuffed cabbage leaves or stuffed vine leaves?)
    I meant the stuffed vine leaves

I need to google names of spices and come back and post,ok?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information