Thread: Coconut Swirl Brownies

Default Coconut Swirl Brownies

Coconut Swirl Brownies

I am not known for having a good memory. In fact, my husband makes fun of me all of the time, because he can tell me something, and 20 minutes later, I will have completely forgotten. We were watching House the other night on tv, and I realized that it's a very good thing that I didn't go into the medical profession, because I would never be able to remember enough to diagnose someone
    properly!!

So on days that I post on my blog, I usually chose the photos I want to post at home, and then email them to myself and actually write the post when I have downtime at work. If the recipe has come from a cookbook, I can always remember what cookbook it came from. But if the recipe comes from the web, I usually have to go through my stack of printed recipes to find the one I used. Well, I sent myself some pictures of a cupcake I made, but I couldn't find the recipe at home. I figured I'd be able to remember where I found the recipe online. No such luck. I searched and searched, but nothing looked familiar. So hopefully I will either find the print out, or my memory will come back to me and I will remember where I found the recipe!!

So to make sure I knew where the recipe was, I chose a recipe from one of my cookbooks to post about today. I usually prefer my brownies dense and fudgy, so I was surprised when I really enjoyed these almost cake-like brownies. I'm a coconut fan, so that could have something to do with it!!

Coconut Swirl Brownies
    from Martha Stewart's Cookies

Makes 9 large or 16 small

1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
    3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
    1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
    2/3 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
    1 large egg white
    2 1/4 teaspoons vanilla
    2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
    4 ounces semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
    2/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
    3 large eggs

Preheat oven to 350F. Line a buttered 8-inch square baking pan with parchment, allowing a 2-inch overhang. Butter lining (not overhang).

Stir together 1 tablespoon of sugar, the condensed milk, coconut, egg white, and 1/4 teaspoon of the vanilla in a bowl.

Put butter and both chocolates in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until melted. Let cool slightly.

Whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl.

Whisk remaining 3/4 cup sugar into chocolate mixture. Add eggs; whisk until mixture is smooth. Stir in remaining 2 teaspoons vanilla. Add flour mixture; stir until well combined.

Pour one-third of the chocolate batter into the prepared pan. Spread evenly with an offset spatula. Drop dollops of the coconut mixture (about 1 tablespoon each) on top of batter, spacing about 1 inch apart. Drizzle remaining batter on top, and gently spread to fill pan. Drop dollops of remaining coconut mixture on top.

Gently swirl coconut mixture into batter with a butter knife, running the knife lengthwise and crosswise through layers. Bake until a cake tester inserted into the middle of the brownies comes out with a few crumbs, but is not wet, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool slightly in pan, about 15 minutes. Lift out; let cool completely on a wire rack before cutting into squares.

Taste and Tell: Coconut Swirl Brownies
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Those look amazing.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Wow,love it.
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Thumbs up

Wow i love chocolate so much

yummy!!

Delicious.

Am putting this in favorites, I have all the ingredients except condensed milk and unsweetened chocolate (? never heard of it!).
    ssabmud

Baker's has cubes of unsweetned chocolate

"Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Thread Information