Thread: Oven-baked Toffee Apples

Canada baby!

Default Oven-baked Toffee Apples

Oven-baked toffee apples

We're having apples for dessert on a daily basis these days. Last weekend, we picked two large baskets full of apples at my grandma's place, and although they're delicious as they are (juicy, sharp, crisp, sweet - all at once), they're also excellent in various cakes and puddings. Here's a twist on the traditional oven-baked apples that should appeal to everybody with a sweet tooth.

Oven-baked Toffee Apples
    (Ahjus küpsetatud õunad mandli-iirisekattega)
    Serves 4 to 6

5 to six large firm apples

Toffee-almond topping:
    50 g almond slices
    50 g unsalted butter
    200 ml soft brown sugar
    100 ml whipping or double cream
    1 Tbsp potato flour

To serve:
    vanilla ice cream

Peel the apples (optional*), halve and core them. Fit them snugly into a buttered oven-dish, cut-side down.
    Mix brown sugar and potato flour in a small saucepan, add butter, almond slices, and cream, and bring slowly to the boil, stirring regularly. Spoon the toffee mixture onto the apples.
    Bake in the middle of a pre-heated oven for 20-30 minutes (cooking time depends on the apples), until apples are cooked and toffee topping has thickened.
    Cool a little and serve with ice cream.

* In general, I tend not to peel apples from my mum's or grandma's garden, or apples from a reputable organic source. However, peeling apples beforehand makes for neater presentation and easier eating afterwards.

nami-nami: a food blog: Oven-baked toffee apples
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

New Orleans

That looks incredible! I will make this but what should I set the temp at? I like fuji apples but should I use granny smith instead? I am a klutz in the kitchen and need more help please

Oh my goodness, that sounds delicious! I am going to have to figure out the measurement conversions, but I definitely want to try it.

Thread Information