Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Tex-Mex Pasta Toss

Default Tex-Mex Pasta Toss

Tex-Mex Pasta Toss

Yep, I've been busy this month, which is my usual excuse for not posting. But I have NEW reasons now, including the fact tht I am starting a master's program in less than a week and oh my god I have to do HOW much work before class even STARTS? Um, I may have had a tiny anxiety attack when I read that on top of the the 4 hour class each week, I should plan on another 12-16 hours for reading, studying, writing papers, and participating in online discussions. And I'm keeping my day job, people. But when will I work out? And read for fun? And cook real dinners? And go to all those football games I bought tickets for? And plan my wedding (dress shopping has commenced!)? And oh, yeah, hang out with that boy I am marrying?

Then I remembered I used to do it all nicely when I was going to school full time and working full time at the paper and managed to have some semblance of a social life. So I calmed down and realized I would just have to put those Type A time management and organizational skills to used. And get used to less down time and less sleep than these last three years have afforded me.

So I've been looking for more meals that can be pretty easily tossed together and that make great leftovers for when I need to bring dinner along to class. This recipe has already become a go-to this last month, especially as we have gobs of tomatoes, corn, peppers, etc., lying around from the farmer's market. And really, if you manage your time well, which I'll try to explain in the recipe, this comes together in 30 min; it is mostly chopping, which can be done earlier in the week if you know you'll be busy that night.

Like most pastas, this vegetables in this one are flexible - just use what you've got or what you like.

Tex-Mex Pasta Toss
    (serves 4 but is easily scaled up; adapted from Cooking Light)

8 oz whole wheat penne pasta
    1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast
    2 poblano peppers
    2 jalapenos
    2 ears corn, husked
    1 red bell pepper, diced
    2 c grape tomatoes, quartered
    2 green onions, thinly sliced
    1/2 yellow or white onion, finely diced
    1 avocado, chopped
    2-3 oz chevre
    chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper
    cilantro

1. Place jalapenos, poblanos, and corn on baking sheet and place under broiler for about 12 min. Turn every few minutes, as each side gets blackened. While this is going on, boil the water for pasta and heat a grill pan for the chicken.

2. Cook the chicken (seasoned with salt, pepper, and chile powder). While it is cooking (flip chicken as needed), begin chopping the uncooked vegetables.

3. When they are blistered on all sides, remove the peppers and corn (just lightly roasted, not blistered) and place peppers in plastic bag to steam for about 10 min. Set corn aside to cool.

4. At this time, start the pasta. Cut the avocado and any remaining veggies.

5. Cut corn from the cob (see instructions here).

6. Slice the peppers in half, scrape out seeds, cut into strips and then dice. Be careful about touching your face, as jalapenos will make your eyes/nose buuurrrrn. Wash your hands really well after this step. Some people like to wear gloves when handling hot peppers.

7. Dice/shred the chicken.

8. Toss all ingredients together with the pasta, mixing in cheese and seasoning to taste, along with cilantro This is great warm, room temperature, or cold from the fridge.

more bread and cheese, please!: Tex-Mex Pasta Toss
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Yummy,love it!
    eat a hot bowl of dicks.

Yum, this sounds great. I'm going to try it next week.
    Mischief. Mayhem. Tattoos. Soap.

Mariesoleil-I am so happy for you! Your wedding,your Masters -you deserve all thing good!
    I have to say,with your Hurricane knowledge and now this great recipe-you are a TEXAN! Really!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Mariesoleil-I am so happy for you! Your wedding,your Masters -you deserve all thing good!
    I have to say,with your Hurricane knowledge and now this great recipe-you are a TEXAN! Really!
    Well that's actually from a food blog. Not my words...
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Well that's actually from a food blog. Not my words...
    You chose it! Few Canadians venture toward jalapenos!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Hit By Ban Bus!
    Cyberland fan club, smelling the desperation

Spicy food is quite popular in some parts of Canada. I've used jalapenos and other chilies for years, and so have many others. There has been a lot of immigration and diversity of food and new ingredients is one of the results.

ETA: I'd never want to go back to the days of meat and potatoes. Boring!

Thread Information