Login to remove the ads!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who here likes Fish? - any recipes?

Default Who here likes Fish? - any recipes?

Personally I think fish is the food of the devil, I cannot stand it, especially when the head complete with the greasy eye looks at you from the plate. I can handle tuna and prawns and good old battered fish though.

Anyway, my boyfriends Birthday was yesterday, but he was very ill and spent all day in bed. Thought I'd treat him tonight - and guess what he likes to eat - Yep fish. He loves it but I never make is because I'm selfish and also get scared of making the house smell. I remember visiting a friends house when younger and their parents were cooking kippers - I can still smell them today!

So the whole point of this thread is does anyone have any relatively easy fish dishes I can make that are not too strong so that I might like it and also will not smell?

My workmate suggested Sea Bass but apparently this has lots of bones which I'm also scared of.

Thanks!!

Default Re: Who here likes Fish? - any recipes?

This is a good way that seems to work for people who don't especially like fish and it avoids a fishy taste. I take spinach, either fresh or thawed out frozen. If it is frozen, try to squeeze out a lot of the water. Put that on the bottom of a baking pan, put any kind of filets on top of it (flounder, sole, any kind of white fish works fine) in a single layer, if possible, sprinkle with slivered almonds and dot with some butter. Cover it with foil and bake it at about 350 for 20-25 minutes, until it looks done.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Elite Member

I love fish and all seafood. I'm literally a fintarian (dont eat any other meat other then seafood). Just last night I had 4 big Kig Prawns with chilli and soy. Yum.

Anyway my favourite fish recipie ever:

Make a bag out of tin foil. rub a bit of butter on the inside so it doesnt stick.
    Add a fillet of salmon.
    Also Add lemon juice, lemon grass, dill and parsley.
    seal bag
    put in oven untill its done (15 mins at 180C)

A*O

If fish is super fresh it does not smell fishy in the first place. But if you are that worried I suggest you get som canned tuna and then it's Chicken Of The Sea!!!

Seriously, fresh tuna steaks cooked on the barbie taste and look like pork - seriously. My recipe: Get a couple of fresh (NOT tinned) tuna steaks and marinade them in some soy sauce, several gloves of crushed garlic, 4 tspns of corrander power and a sprinkle of salt. Grill them on a hot barbie and/or griddle just like you would a pork chop. DO NOT overcook, you can eat fish raw so it does not have to be burned to a crisp. Serve with salad, veggies whatever and I guarantee you won't even know it's fish.

However, if you are that anti-fish you won't want to try it anyway because you know it's fish. You can use the same recipe for pork chops BTW so maybe you should do the fish for your bf and get yourself a porkchop! Oh great, now you are going to tell me you are Jewish.
    Why do people say "Grow some balls"? Balls are weak and sensitive! If you really wanna get tough, grow a vagina! Those things take a pounding! -Betty White

^^ Nope not Jewish!

Do you all mean Flounder as in:

How cruel of you

Lani's salmon in butter, lemon, dill and parsley does sound very nice though, and I do like tuna so I could try tuna steak. I going to try it in the next couple of days and let you know whether it was a disaster or not. Hopefully will be nice and convert me a little because I know fish is really good for you.

When I was younger my Mum always followed the polish tradition of only being allowed to eat fish on Christmas Eve, I hated her for it! She made us do that tradition but NOT open our presents that day as I should have been allowed to do also. Big rotten case of double standards I thought!

I love the kinda fish my mum buys in bread crums. Fish from chip shops is OK (n batter) but its a bit too greasy for me. I love tuna but I can't stand any other fishy fish that you can really smell or taste in your mouth. I don't think I could ever eat a fish with its head still on
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Lil

I like fish. If you are a novice at cooking it I'd try one of the recipes in foil suggested above - it is hard to overcook fish that way and it won't dry out so easily either.
    A big boy did it and ran away.

another way to do the tuna steaks is japanese style: marinade them in soy sauce and a bit of garlic for at least a couple of hours, then cook them quickly (tuna dries very easily) in a really hot pan with butter. the soy sauce and butter will caramelise and it is yummy... sprinkle with some toasted sesame seeds and you're done.

another easy recipe: take either trout filets or a whole trout and lay on a sheet of tin foil. rub with olive oil, salt, pepper. if it's a whole fish, don't forget to season the inside of the fish as well. cut an onion into thin slices, do the same with an orange, and lay out the orange slices (with the skin) and the onion slices all over the fish. seal the tin foil around the fish and cook at about 180º or 200º C for about 15-25 minutes, depending on the size of the fish. i'd say 15 minutes if it's just filets, and about 25-30 for a whole fish.
    i usually serve it with perfumed rice and fresh spinach that i steam for a bit and then sautée with pine nuts, garlic and some onion

if you don't like fish with 'fishy' taste, tuna, swordfish and red snapper are good choices as they are more 'meaty' than fishy.
    Last edited by sputnik; December 20th, 2005 at 08:57 AM.

^^ Ooh that one sounds good, I like soy sauce. Never actually heard of garlic with fish but I like garlic too, the sesame seeds might even make me look like a seasoned chef.

My boyfriends feeling better but he's still a bit bunged up and wants me to cook my first fish when he's 100% so he can appreciate it more.

I actually nearly made it past the fish counter last night, I had a little look- it's intimidating with the eyes looking at me but those recipes above will really help, and I'm actually looking forward trying them. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I don't know if anybody mentioned this, but the BEST (IMHO) non-fishy fish is tilapia. It might be called something else, I don't know.

Tilapia Marinade

4 tbs olive oil
    2 tbs freshly squeezed lemon juice
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 tsp kosher salt
    freshly ground black pepper (20 turns)
    1 1/2 tsp dried tarragon

put in container, shake up, pour on fish, let marinade 30 minutes
    bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes or until it flakes with fork.

Salmon is my fav

Steamed Cod With Coconut Chutney

6 garlic cloves, peeled
    1 inch piece ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
    3 small fresh chilies, stemmed and seeded or 1 teaspoon dried red chili flakes or to taste
    1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
    1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
    1 cup shredded dried coconut
    3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1 tablespoon corn, grapeseed or other neutral oil
    Salt
    1 1/2 to 2 pounds fillet of pomfret, pompano, mackerel, sole or flounder

1. Prepare a steamer with at least 2 inches of water on bottom. Combine garlic, ginger and chilies in a food processor, and grind to a paste. Add cilantro, mint and coconut, and pulse until mixture is nicely chopped but not puréed. Stir in lime juice, oil and salt. Taste, and adjust seasoning.

2. Season fish with salt, and put it on a plate or in a shallow bowl. Place in steamer. Top with herb paste, and steam for about 15 minutes or until fish is done. (A thin-bladed knife will meet little or no resistance when it is done.) Serve immediately with basmati rice.

NB: I've also used coconut milk in place of fresh coconut, but it's not as good. I've also baked the fish tightly wrapped in parchment paper and tin foil and it worked well. This is a great recipe for guests who like piquant Asian food.

Yield: 4 servings

Does vinegar or lemon juice "cook" fish when its being marinated?

Yes. It's like making ceviche -- lime (more commonly used in the tropics) or lemon juice "cooks" the fish. Vinegar does much the same thing. I use rice vinegar in some of my fish marinades and it works quite well.

My goal for this new year is to eat fish at least twice a week and to cook one new recipe a week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information