Thread: Homemade Banana Pudding recipe needed

Elite Member DoveFeatheredRaven's Avatar

Default Homemade Banana Pudding recipe needed

My mother made the best banana pudding but after she passed away my sister and I could not find where she had ever written it down! Grr! If any of you have a really wonderful recipe and would like to share, I would appreciate it. What I am looking for is the kind that doesn't use prepackaged pudding but is truly homemade. I have found some online but don't know if they are any good and lord knows my ass cannot afford for me to practice making all of them!

I thought I would check with the GR recipe bunch. I have a feeling some of you will have something.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

I found this in "A Taste of Old Manfield" cookbook -Mansfield Texas Historical Society.

Banana Pudding by
    Kathryn Howard,President MHS

1 cup sugar
    3 tablespoons flour
    2 cups whole milk
    2 or 3 eggs

Cook over low heat until bubbling and thick. Place alternate layers of bananas and vanilla wafers and custard. This is a good pudding and so easy.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Ooo! Thank you, dearie!

That does look good and quite easy. Momma's wasn't intricate at all. I think she used Pet milk though. Same difference probably, huh?
    I wonder if it would be okay to put a layer of whipping cream on top? Momma used a meringue, but I don't care for meringue.

I am wanting this for my fiance who has fallen in love with "southern" homemade banana pudding lately. He actually had a really good one when he was in Austin, TX for a training this month.

Thanks, McJag. If anyone has anything else, please add. I figure Paula Deen has something good too but have never tried any of her stuff.
    Have you ever noticed that anybody driving slower than you is an idiot, and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? George Carlin

I have 2 different recipes:

Whipped cream mixture:
    2 cups heavy cream
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/3 cup all-purpose flour
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    2 cups scalded milk
    3 large egg yolks, beaten
    1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
    Whipped cream mixture
    1 (12-ounce) box vanilla wafers
    5 medium size ripe bananas, peeled and thinly sliced
    1/4 cup roasted macadamia nuts, coarsely ground
    Sprig fresh mint
    Whip all ingredients to stiff peaks. Set aside until making the pudding
    Mix sugar, flour and salt in a large heavy saucepan. Gradually stir in the scalded milk with a whisk. Cook the mixture over moderate heat while stirring constantly until slightly thickened. Slowly stir in approximately 1/4 cup the hot mixture into the beaten egg yolks. Next add the yolks to the balance of the hot mixture and cook, stirring constantly until the mixture is fully thickened to a custard-like consistency and coats a spoon. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Let cool completely and then fold in 1/2 cup of the whipped cream. Use a large crystal bowl (or a trifle bowl) and spread a little of the custard on the bottom. Alternately layer banana slices and vanilla wafers, reserving 4 wafers, with custard in between each. Repeat and end with vanilla wafers on top. Spread remaining whipped cream over the top. Grind the 4 reserved wafers coarsely and mix with the ground macadamia nuts. Sprinkle on top of the whipped cream.

or this one:

1/2 cups sugar
    6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    Pinch salt
    2 (12-ounce) cans evaporated milk
    4 egg yolks
    1/2 stick butter, cubed
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    1 box vanilla wafers, plus more for garnish, crumbled
    5 bananas, sliced
    Whipped cream

In a 3-quart heavy saucepan on low heat, add sugar, flour and salt. Pour in the evaporated milk and stir constantly. The mixture will thicken slowly, about 10 minutes.

Lightly beat the egg yolks in a medium size bowl. Add a ladleful of the thickened milk mixture to the eggs and whisk, to temper the eggs. Add the egg mixture into the saucepan and continue to whisk and cook until incorporated, roughly 2 to 3 minutes.
    Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the butter and the vanilla extract. Place the pudding into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool in refrigerator for 2 1/2 hours. Into a large bowl or trifle dish, add a layer of vanilla wafers, a layer of sliced bananas, and top with pudding. Add the whipped cream and then repeat the layers. Garnish with crumbled cookies on top.

Quote Originally Posted by DoveFeatheredRaven View Post
    Ooo! Thank you, dearie!

That does look good and quite easy. Momma's wasn't intricate at all. I think she used Pet milk though. Same difference probably, huh?
    I wonder if it would be okay to put a layer of whipping cream on top? Momma used a meringue, but I don't care for meringue.

I am wanting this for my fiance who has fallen in love with "southern" homemade banana pudding lately. He actually had a really good one when he was in Austin, TX for a training this month.

Thanks, McJag. If anyone has anything else, please add. I figure Paula Deen has something good too but have never tried any of her stuff.
    This is the Texas one & old as the hills. I would NOT use Pet milk-the flavor will be different .Also-no meringue or whipped cream on this one-truly does not need it. The best way to do this is try a recipe FIRST just as written. Next time you can try different stuff, if you feel it needs something more. Remember too, use the very best ingredients. Mother always got so outdone when someone would ask her for her recipe & shortchange on the stuff & then complain when it didn't taste like hers!! You will be getting more recipes & no doubt some will be your Mom's way!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Good advice! I am a horrible tweaker of recipes. lol. I will probably try the TX one since that is what he had and loved. He never had Momma's. My sister and I just want one like Mom's for us.

Sweetie, that second one looks like or close to what I saw Mom do. I will run that one and McJag's by my sister and see what she thinks. The first one sounds really exotic and lovely though. Yummm. You guys are the best.

^ Yeah, the bottom one is an old southern recipe from a black lady that can cook anything you want.

Them little old black ladies can cook!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetie View Post
    ^ Yeah, the bottom one is an old southern recipe from a black lady that can cook anything you want.

Them little old black ladies can cook!!!!!
    Well, I don't know but what my mother's recipe didn't come from the lady who was their housekeeper when mom was growing up. My maternal grandmother opened boxes when she cooked so anything homemade, my mother had learned from their housekeeper. I had never really thought about that!

Dove, I just called my very southern 82 year old grandmother for her recipe. Everyone loves her delicious banana pudding, and I'm willing to bet it's very similar to your mom's.

3 eggs

1 1/2 cups of sugar

1 tablespoon of cornstarch to thicken-- you can use flour, but she prefers the cornstarch

1 tablespoon of vanilla flavoring

1 can of evaporated milk plus 2 cups of water--
    or you can just use 2 cups of whole milk (or "sweet milk" as she calls it ), but don't add the water.

Mix everything up with a mixer.

Cook over low and stir constantly as it will stick and burn very easily.
    She didn't say for how long, but you want it to thicken while still being runny.

Alternate layers of vanilla wafers, sliced banana, and pudding as mentioned in the other recipes.

Put in the fridge to chill.

**Thank you for reminding me to get this very special recipe from my grandmother!!

Sweetness-I'll bet that is my Grandmothers also. Sounds very much like it! Which state?

She is from Rome, GA which is in the northwestern part of the state, but now lives on the outskirts of Atlanta.

She is just as sweet as pie.
    Last edited by sweetness; April 30th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.

ohmigod, thank you!! It looks great too!

You're welcome!

Okay, I am getting the stuff for one of these today and making it for my sweetie while he is out playing golf. I have been a hormonal bear the last few days and he is feeling whiny. lol

Thread Information