Chocolate Marshmallow Delights
For the cookies:
1 3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp course salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
1 cup sugar
1 large egg
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
About 15 marshmallows, halved crosswise
For the frosting:
3 cups confectioners' sugar
6 tbl unsalted butter, room temperature
1/4 cup plus 1 1/2 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup plus 2 tbl whole milk
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Make cookies: Sift together flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a bowl. (I just use a whisk, it does the same thing.)
2. Put butter and sugar into the bowl and mix on medium high until fluffy and pale, about 2 minutes. Reduce speed to medium low; mix in egg, milk and vanilla. Mix in flour mixture, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
3. Using a 1 3/4-inch ice cream scoop, drop dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment paper, spacing 2 inches apart. Bake cookies, rotating sheets halfway through, until firm, 8 to 10 minutes. Immediately press a marshmallow half on top of each cookie. Bake until marshmallows begin to melt, 2 minutes more. Let cool completely on sheets on wire racks.
4. Make frosting: Put powdered sugar in a medium bowl. Melt butter with the cocoa in a sauce pan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally. Add butter mixture to the powdered sugar. Whisk in milk and vanilla.
5. Spread about 1 tbl of frosting on top of each cookie to cover marshmallow. Let stand until set, about 10 minutes. Cookies can be stored in single layers in airtight containers at room temperature up to 2 days.
Stephanie's Kitchen: Chocolate Marshmallow Delights