Banana “Butterfly” Clafoutis / Banana Split Clafoutis
- 4 Bananas, split lengthways
- 4 tablespoons of chopped chocolate
- 300ml of full cream standard milk (that’s blue top here in NZ!)
- ½ cup of caster/superfine sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 free range eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup of plain white flour
- ice-cream and toppings to serve
- Preheat the oven to 190 deg C
- Place 4 x 250ml capacity oblong shaped gratin dishes (please be sure the dishes that won’t crack when cold liquids is poured in!) in the oven to preheat.
- Meanwhile in a large pouring jug or blender whisk together the milk, the remaining caster sugar, vanilla, eggs, salt and flour.
- Peel four bananas and slice them through lengthways.
- Remove the heated dishes from the oven and place one banana, 2 halves split in each.
- Sprinkle with each with 1 tablespoon of the chopped chocolate and evenly ladle over the egg mixture.
- Quickly return to the oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes until puffed up, golden and cooked through.
- To serve, top with a “Perfect Scoop,” a dusting of icing/confectioners sugar or some extra chopped chocolate, walnuts - other nuts, a drizzle of chocolate or strawberry sauce, an ice cream wafer and a cherry! Or however you personally desire!
Banana Splits, Clafoutis or Butterflies?!