Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A*O's Curry Thread

A*O

Default A*O's Curry Thread

By popular (?) request I'll post a few of my favourites here for all you curry fans to try. The secret with curries is to use the subtle blends of spices - it's not all about super hot chilli that overpowers the flavour of the food (and your tastebuds).

You don't need any 'special' ingredients, but you will need some basic spices. To begin with I'd suggest you get these which are widely available in most supermarkets. Keep them in an airtight container and buy in small quantities as they do get a bit stale after a while.

Ground Turmeric
    Ground Corriander
    Ground Garam Masala (a ready made spice blend)
    Black Mustard Seeds
    Whole Cumin Seeds
    Dried Red Chilli Flakes or Powder
    Ground Ginger
    also
    Peanut or Vegetable Oil (NB olive oil does NOT work in curries!)
    Basmati Rice

I've already posted a Butter Chicken and Lamb & Macadamia curry recipes. Now for some veggies and the vital accompanyment to any curry, dhal (spiced lentils). Don't go "ew" - it's delicious! Like a thick, hearty soup.

Remember, the spices are entirely adjustable to your preference and taste. I will give the minimum quantities but you can add/subtract. It's all about experimentation - that's half the fun with curries.

Split Red Lentil Dhal

2 cups split red lentils (actually they are bright orange but you know what I mean)
    1 onion chopped
    1-2 tsp black mustard seeds
    1-2 tsp whole cumin seeds
    1 tsp garam masala
    2 tsp turmeric
    Half can chopped tomatoes
    Half to 1 tsp dried chilli flakes/powder
    Generous pinch of salt

1. Rinse the lentils in fresh cold water a couple of times.
    2. Put lentils in a saucepan and add enough water to cover by about an inch.
    3. Bring to the boil, stirring occasionally, and simmer for a few minutes, stirring from time to time until the lentils begin to break down and go a bit mushy and soft. If they absorb all the water, add a little more but not too much. The lentils should be the consistency of porridge (oatmeal).
    4. Put 2tbsps of oil (or ghee, Indian clarified butter) in a small frypan and fry the chopped onion until golden brown.
    5. Add the whole mustard seeds and whole cumin to the onion and stir for a few seconds to release the flavour and aroma.
    6. Add the remaining spices (turmeric, garam masala, chilli) and the chopped tomatoes and mix quickly into a sizzling spicy paste.

NB With any curry it's vitally important to fry your spices first to release their full flavour and aroma.

7. Mix the spicey paste/onions with the lentils and simmer for a few more minutes, stirring if required and adding more water if necessary. EASY on the water - you don't want this to be a watery sloppy mess.

Taste for salt (it usually needs more) and enjoy!
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thumbs up

Yay vegetarian. Thanks AO curry Queen

A*O

Devout Hindus in India don't touch meat so there are LOADS of vegetarian curries.
    Dame Edna Everage

Oh A*O, a woman after my own heart. If I could live off one food, it would be curries. And the hotter the better! I love the pain of hot chillis mmmm. But as you said, curries don't have to be hot. Just adjust the amount of chilli to your taste. The mild ones are just as tasty.

Anyways, here is one of my faves. When I was younger a guy used to live next door to my Uncle and he made really tasty, authentic curries.

WW Indian Recipes

Beef Madras Curry
    4-10 chilies
    1 tsp ground cloves
    1 tsp ground cumin
    2 tsp ground turmeric
    2 tsp mustard seeds
    1 tsp ground fenugreek
    1 tsp ground ginger
    1 tsp cardamom powder
    tsp coriander powder
    1 tbs curry powered
    Handful curry leaves
    1kg Beef
    1 or 2 sticks cinnamon
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    Beef stock

Method:
    Heat oil in pan. Sautee onions and garlic until see through. Stir in all the spices and curry leaves until they become aromatic. Add the beef and cook until brown. Add the cinnamon sticks, tomatoes and beef stock. Simmer for approximately 1-1.5 hours or until meat is tender.

Another of my faves is

Chicken Curry
    2 med onions
    2tsp garlic
    2sp ginger
    1tsp turmeric
    3tsp chilli
    3tsp coriander
    1tsp cumin
    2.5 tsp salt
    Tin toms
    2 sticks cinnamon
    1 tin coconut milk

Heat oil in pan. Sautee onions, ginger, garlic and curry leaves until see through. Stir in all the spices and curry leaves until they become aromatic. Add the chicken and coat in spices. Add the tomatoes and cinnamon sticks. Simmer for approximately 1 hour. Reduce heat to simmer and stir through the coconut milk for 15 minutes.

Oh and this nice rice dish

Indian Lemon Rice
    1 tsp black mustard seeds
    Lemon rind (grate or chop rind most of rind until fine. Cut the remaining in thin strips)
    the juice of a lemon
    Salt to taste
    Fresh coriander (roughly chopped)

Method:
    Heat oil in hot pan. Sautee the rice, mustard seeds and lemon rind. Add water, salt and lemon juice. Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Take off heat and allow to sit for approximately 5 minutes. Fluff up the rice with a fork. Add chopped coriander and stir through rice while hot.

I love curries because I find it really easy to adapt to weightwatchers points (which I'm currently doing) just by using spray oil and using a can of low fat evaporated milk with a tsp of coconut essance. So light and tasty!

Thanks!

A*O

People can get a bit precious and snobby about curries. If time is short or I can't be arsed I absolutely cheat with those ready-made curry pastes (Madras, Vindaloo, Rogan Josh, Korma, etc) you can get in the supermarket. Sharwoods and Pataks do good ones. You just add a couple of tbsps of the paste to your basic ingredients plus a bit of water, or stock or chopped tomato, etc and simmer for an hour or so. Just as tasty and twice as quick!

Curries taste much better if you eat them the next day. The flavours mature into a much more 'mellow' curry. And they freeze perfectly. If I'm doing a dinner party I often make several curries days/weeks in advance and freeze them. Then on the Big Day all they need is re-heating and the only cooking required is the rice and warming up the naans (also shop bought).
    Dame Edna Everage

Totally agree with everything you said. Yes, they kind of ferment nicely overnight. And I agree with some of those yummy jar ones you get. Some are a bit off, but the Pataks and Sharwood ones have never let me down.

I don't know about you, but I love chutneys to accompany my curries. To me, a curry isn't complete with out naan or chipattis and chutney.

Aaaargh, I want a curry now!

They do seem to be the in thing around here at the moment. It's amazing how many Indian places are cropping up. It used to be mainly Asian groceries that you pick up Indian spices etc from, but now we're seeing a lot of Indian groceries. I think I've died and gone to heaven

Thank you, Ladies. Keep them coming as you have time. I do have one question though. I am a little confused. I refer to curry as the complete dish. You refer to the curry and how it is best after one day or frozen. Is the curry all of the spices, etc but without the main ingredient: meats or veggies. In other words, do you make up the 'sauce' so to speak for freezing...then add the meat or veggies later when you are preparing it for serving?
    Playful~

I'll post some more over the weekend And yes, we mean curry as in the full dish. A yummy curry is always at it's best the day after. So you cook it all up and refrigerate it overnight. Heat it up the next day and scoff it down

Edit to add: with the rice dish, I recommend using either basmati or jasmine rice.

A*O

The 'authentic' way to serve curry is to have more than one dish. So you do, say, a meat, a vegetable and a dhal plus the rice, breads, roti etc. Chutney is a good accompanyment, especially if you can get Indian brands. I'm very lucky and have a Sri Lankan/Indian grocery store near here which has ALL the spices, lentils, rice, chutneys you could ever imagine. Look out especially for the MD brand mango chutney. Sensational.
    Dame Edna Everage

Oh, never heard of MD, but I'll look out for that. My husband has taken a liking to mango chutney. I love mango chutney with a vindaloo. I don't know if that's normal, having something so sweet with something so hot, but it just makes it. But I love all kinds of chutneys. hehe I swear I was Indian in a past life I have no idea how they have so many dishes at once though. I usually just do the one with an entree, bread and chutney, and then I'm stuffed!

We had 8 inches of snow here today...yes in March in Dallas TX. I am planning to spend the entire weekend (& tomorrow assuming the roads are too icy to go to the office) cooking up as many of these dishes that I can make. I already had most of the spices before I made A*O's butter chicken and lamb & macadamia dishes but I needed cardamom. Most spices cost on the average of $3-4US but I paid $14.95US for one small container of that 'gold in a bottle'. Yikes~
    Playful~

A*O

These are both "dry" curries, ie, you cook them in a small amount of liquid which evaporates during the cooking process. Obviously if it starts to burn or stick then add a splash more water but the idea is to keep it all as un-sloppy as possible. They go well with other dishes that are a bit more 'saucy' so you don't get a plate full of slop.

Green Bean Curry

Half tsp black mustard seeds
    Half tsp cumin seeds
    Half tsp turmeric
    Half tsp ground cumin
    Half tsp coriander powder
    Half tsp chilli powder/flakes (or to taste)
    12oz (340g) fresh or frozen green beans
    1 fresh tomato finely chopped (or about a quater of a tin)

Heat 2tbsps oil and cook black mustard and cumin seeds for a few seconds. Add tomato, turmeric, cumin powder, coriander powder and chilli and cook for about a minute to release the aroma and flavours.

Add the beans and then about 4fl.oz (120ml) water. Bring to the boil, lower heat and summer gently until the beans are just cooked - not soggy please!

Cauliflower and Potato Curry

12oz (340g) potatoes
    12oz (340g) cauliflower florets (fresh or frozen)
    Half tsp cumin seeds
    Half tsp black mustard seeds
    1tsp turmeric
    1tsp garam masala
    2tsp tomato puree
    Half tsp chilli powder/flakes (or to taste)
    1 fresh tomato, finely chopped (or about a quarter tin of ready chopped toms)

Peel potatoes and cut into 1inch cubes.
    Heat 2tbsps oil to a high temperature and add the cumin and black mustard seeds for a few seconds. Add potatoes, cauliflower, turmeric, garam masala, tomato puree, chilli and 1 tsp salt. Stir continuously for about 3 minutes.
    Add 4fl/oz (120ml) water and simmer gently until the water has almost evaporated and the curry is 'dry'.
    Dame Edna Everage

Oh, I love that cauliflower and potato curry. I am so happy you posted it. Thanks~
    Playful~

great thread, a*o! thanks so much!!

i'm so putting your green bean curry on our menu for next week. i'm excited to try it!
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information