Arroz con Pollo chicken with rice is a pretty basic meal that is made all over the world. Ingredients differ from culture to culture, but the staples rice and chicken remain constant. Tonight make a tasty variation with a hint of sweet tartness. The secret ingredient? Crisp apples. The apples will have your family wondering, hmmm what is that?
Arroz con Pollo with Apples
From Real Simple magazine
2 large tart unpeeled apples, such as Granny Smith
8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoons olive oil
1 green pepper, coarsely chopped
1 yellow pepper, coarsely chopped
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 14 ½-ounce can diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 cup long-grain converted rice
2 cups chicken broth
1/4 teaspoon fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- Quarter, core, and slice the apples into ¼-inch-thick pieces; set aside.
- Season the chicken with the salt and black pepper. Heat the oil in a 12-inch skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Remove the chicken and set aside, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the green pepper, yellow pepper, onion, and garlic. Stir well and cook over medium heat until the vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and apples to the pan. Cook 8 to 10 minutes more. Add the paprika and red pepper. Stir well and add the rice. Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes
- Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, arrange the chicken on top of the rice mixture, and cover. Cook about 20 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with the parsley. Serve hot.
Fast & Easy Dinner: Arroz con Pollo with Apples | apples, Arroz con Pollo, chicken | yumsugar - Food, Drink, & Entertaining.