Thread: Homemade Girl Scout Cookies Thin Mints

Default Homemade Girl Scout Cookies Thin Mints

I'm assuming that by dipping these in chocolate it would come out to the same as the Girl Scout Thin Mints.

Occasionally, when attempting to organise my freezer, I will come across some forgotten bit of food. Iím good about keeping dates on things like meat products, so I donít usually find anything icky, but perhaps I will com across a roll of unsliced cookie dough or a baggie of frozen cupcakes. One other thing I find with regularity, once a year, is a forgotten package or two of Girl Scout cookies. This year, there were none for me to find because, though Girl Scouts is a wholesome organisation by all accounts, their cookies are full of not-so-wholesome trans fats. Yum. Struck by a sudden nostalgia for these, I decided to have a go at some similar cookies.

These cookies are inspired by the popular Thin Mint cookies. Thin mints are a crispy chocolate wafer covered in a mint flavored, chocolate-like shell. I opted to mint-flavor my cookies and forgo the chocolate coating. They donít use real chocolate anyway, as you can see from the ingredients. Make sure to bake these long enough, or they wonít be crispy. It really repends on how thick you cut the cookies, so try baking a few as a test batch and letting them cool and crisp up before baking the rest. Mine were crunchy, chocolatey and had a nice hint of mint. They are slice and bake cookies, so the dough can be prepared in advance and left in the freezer. If you want to, drizzle a little melted chocolate over the tops of the cookies once theyíre cool.

Thin Minties
    2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
    1/4 cup cornstarch
    6 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 cup white sugar
    1/2 cup butter
    1/3 cup milk (I used skim)
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    3/4 tsp peppermint extract
    In a small bowl, whisk together flour, cornstarch, cocoa powder and salt.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar. With the mixer on low speed, add in the milk and the extracts. Mixture will look curdled. Gradually, add in the flour mixture until fully incorporated.
    Shape dough into two logs, about 1 1/2 inches (or about 4 cm) in diameter, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 1-2 hours, until dough is very firm.

Preheat oven to 375F before slicing your cookies.

Slice dough into rounds not more than 1/4 inch thick and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Cookies will not spread very much.
    Bake at 375F for 13-15 minutes. Cookies should be crisp when they cool.

Drizzle with melted chocolate, if desired.

Makes 3 1/2-4 dozen thin cookies.

Thin Minties | Baking Bites
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I'm in heaven....
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Found another recipe that may be more similar. Here it is:

Homemade and All-natural Thin Mint Recipe Recipe

I promised an all-natural Thin Mint recipe for you. It took me two years, but as promised, here it is...No shortening, no trans-fats from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, no weird, processed cake mix cookies - just good old-fashioned butter, cocoa, vanilla, sugar, chocolate, whole grain flour! and peppermint turned into delicious, thin minty goodness.

Homemade and All-natural Thin Mint Recipe

Chocolate Wafers:

8 ounces organic butter, room temperature

1 cup organic powdered sugar, (I use Wholesome Sweeteners brand)

1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract

1 cup cocoa powder (I use Dagoba's cacao powder)

3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour

Chocolate Peppermint Coating:

1 pound good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped

1/4 teaspoon plus a couple drops of natural peppermint extract (I use Flavorganics brand, avail. at Whole Foods)
    Preheat your oven to 350. Racks in the middle zone.
    Make the cookie dough: In a mixer cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and cream some more, scraping the sides of the bowl a couple times if necessary. Stir in the vanilla extract and then the salt and cocoa powder. Mix until the cocoa powder is integrated and the batter is smooth and creamy, sort of like a thick frosting. Add the whole wheat pastry flour and mix just until the batter is no longer dusty looking, it might still be a bit crumbly, and that's o.k. You don't want to over mix and end up with tough cookies.
    Turn the dough out onto a counter, gather it into a ball, and kneed it just once or twice to bring it together into once nice, smooth mass. Place the ball of dough into a large plastic bag and flatten it into a disk roughly 3/4-inch thick. Place the dough in the freezer for 20 minutes to chill.
    Rollout and bake: Remove the dough from the freezer and roll it out really thin, remember how thin Thin Mints are? That's how thin you need your dough, about 1/8-inch. You can either roll it out between two sheets of plastic, or dust your counter and rolling pin with a bit of flour and do it that way. Stamp out cookies using a 1 1/2-inch cutter (this time I used one with a fluted edge, I've done hearts and other shapes in the past). Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely on a baking rack if you've got one.

Make the peppermint coating:
    While the cookies are in the oven you can get the coating ready. I use a makeshift double boiler to melt chocolate (a metal pan over a saucepan of gently simmering water), but I know many people who swear by melting chocolate in the microwave. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until it is glossy and smooth. Stir in the peppermint extract. If you think the chocolate needs a bit more peppermint kick, add more extract a drop or two at a time - but don't go overboard.
    Finishing the cookies: You are going to coat the cookies one at a time and then gently set them on a parchment-lined baking sheet to set. Drop one cookie into the chocolate and (using a fork) carefully make sure it gets fully coated. Lift the cookie out of the chocolate with the fork and bang the fork on the side of the pan to drain any extra chocolate off the cookie. You are after a thin, even coating of chocolate. Place on the aforementioned prepared baking sheet, and repeat for the rest of the cookies. Place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer to set. They will set at room temperature, it just takes much longer, and I prefer them straight out of the freezer anyways

Make 3 or 4 dozen cookies.
    Homemade and All-natural Thin Mint Recipe Recipe - 101 Cookbooks
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

I'm eating Thin Mints right now that I bought from some Girl Scouts outside of the grocery store

Quote Originally Posted by Mariesoleil View Post
    Found another recipe that may be more similar. Here it is:

Homemade and All-natural Thin Mint Recipe Recipe

I promised an all-natural Thin Mint recipe for you. It took me two years, but as promised, here it is...No shortening, no trans-fats from partially hydrogenated vegetable oils, no weird, processed cake mix cookies - just good old-fashioned butter, cocoa, vanilla, sugar, chocolate, whole grain flour! and peppermint turned into delicious, thin minty goodness.

Homemade and All-natural Thin Mint Recipe
    Chocolate Wafers:
    8 ounces organic butter, room temperature
    1 cup organic powdered sugar, (I use Wholesome Sweeteners brand)
    1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
    1 cup cocoa powder (I use Dagoba's cacao powder)
    3/4 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    Chocolate Peppermint Coating:
    1 pound good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
    1/4 teaspoon plus a couple drops of natural peppermint extract (I use Flavorganics brand, avail. at Whole Foods)
    Preheat your oven to 350. Racks in the middle zone.
    Make the cookie dough: In a mixer cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and cream some more, scraping the sides of the bowl a couple times if necessary. Stir in the vanilla extract and then the salt and cocoa powder. Mix until the cocoa powder is integrated and the batter is smooth and creamy, sort of like a thick frosting. Add the whole wheat pastry flour and mix just until the batter is no longer dusty looking, it might still be a bit crumbly, and that's o.k. You don't want to over mix and end up with tough cookies.
    Turn the dough out onto a counter, gather it into a ball, and kneed it just once or twice to bring it together into once nice, smooth mass. Place the ball of dough into a large plastic bag and flatten it into a disk roughly 3/4-inch thick. Place the dough in the freezer for 20 minutes to chill.
    Rollout and bake: Remove the dough from the freezer and roll it out really thin, remember how thin Thin Mints are? That's how thin you need your dough, about 1/8-inch. You can either roll it out between two sheets of plastic, or dust your counter and rolling pin with a bit of flour and do it that way. Stamp out cookies using a 1 1/2-inch cutter (this time I used one with a fluted edge, I've done hearts and other shapes in the past). Place cookies on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely on a baking rack if you've got one.

Make the peppermint coating:
    While the cookies are in the oven you can get the coating ready. I use a makeshift double boiler to melt chocolate (a metal pan over a saucepan of gently simmering water), but I know many people who swear by melting chocolate in the microwave. Slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until it is glossy and smooth. Stir in the peppermint extract. If you think the chocolate needs a bit more peppermint kick, add more extract a drop or two at a time - but don't go overboard.
    Finishing the cookies: You are going to coat the cookies one at a time and then gently set them on a parchment-lined baking sheet to set. Drop one cookie into the chocolate and (using a fork) carefully make sure it gets fully coated. Lift the cookie out of the chocolate with the fork and bang the fork on the side of the pan to drain any extra chocolate off the cookie. You are after a thin, even coating of chocolate. Place on the aforementioned prepared baking sheet, and repeat for the rest of the cookies. Place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer to set. They will set at room temperature, it just takes much longer, and I prefer them straight out of the freezer anyways

Make 3 or 4 dozen cookies.
    Homemade and All-natural Thin Mint Recipe Recipe - 101 Cookbooks
    that one is even better! You're an angel of minty chocolatey goodness!
    Now logic is a wonderful thing but it has, as the processes of evolution discovered, certain drawbacks. Anything that thinks logically can be fooled by something else which thinks at least as logically as it does. - Douglas Adams

Thread Information