I'm going to make this for supper tonight. I'll serve it with baked yams and spinach salad.
Vegetarian Nut Loaf - Allrecipes
Vegetarian Nut Loaf
SUBMITTED BY: Sherry Barber
"'When I made this moist and tasty loaf for my vegetarian friends one Thanksgiving, they all took the recipe home with them,' says Sherry Barber from Whittier, California. 'To save time, I chop many of the ingredients a day ahead and store them in resealable plastic bags until baking day. I can't tell you how wonderful this loaf is."
PREP TIME 25 Min
COOK TIME 1 Hr
READY IN 1 Hr 25 Min
SERVINGS & SCALING
Original recipe yield: 8 servings
* 2 large onions, finely chopped
* 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
* 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
* 2 tablespoons butter
* 3 cups grated carrots
* 1 1/2 cups chopped celery
* 5 eggs, beaten
* 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/4 cup unsalted sunflower kernels
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
* 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
* 1/4 teaspoon pepper
* 3 cups soft whole wheat bread crumbs
1. In a nonstick skillet, saute onions, mushrooms and green pepper in butter until tender. In a bowl, combine the mushroom mixture, carrots, celery, eggs, walnut, sunflower kernels, salt, basil, oregano and pepper. Stir in bread crumbs:
2. Coat a 9-in. x 5-in. x 3-in. loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray, then line with waxed paper. Transfer vegetable mixture to a prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 1 hour or until a meat thermometer reads 160 degrees F Let stand for 10 min before slicing.
Nutritional Analysis: One slice equals 223 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 140 mg cholesterol, 321 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 9 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat, 1 lean meat, 1/2 starch.