Login to remove the ads!

Thread: Don Henley's Texas Chili

Default Don Henley's Texas Chili

This is a great recipe for the winter. Chili is a staple in my house, so I thought I would share.

Ingredients:

A case of beer (I like to use Corona).

4 pounds lean ground beef

2 eight-ounce or 1 fifteen-ounce can tomato sauce--(NOT tomato paste). Whole or chopped tomatoes will do if you can't find tomato sauce)

1 packet Wick Fowler Chili Mix (I prefer False Alarm, which is mild, but if you want your chili spicy, use 2 alarm or 3 alarm. Keep in mind 2 and 3 are VERY hot and may be too spicy for kids).

Directions
    In a large skillet, cook the meat until it is grey in color. Then, dump the meat into a large pot with the tomato sauce. Rinse the tomato sauce cans with beer and pour it into the pot.

Spread the meat evenly over the bottom of the pot. Add enough water so that the meat is covered by 1/2 inch.

Add Wick Fowler's Chili Mix

Heat all ingredients to a mild boil, turn the flame down IMMEDIATELY and simmer for at least one hour and 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking.

Skim off excess grease as it rises to the top.

Serve with beer and thick french or sourdough bread.

Quote Originally Posted by southernbelle View Post
    1 packet Wick Fowler Chili Mix (I prefer False Alarm, which is mild, but if you want your chili spicy, use 2 alarm or 3 alarm. Keep in mind 2 and 3 are VERY hot and may be too spicy for kids).
    I love chilli Southernbelle, but what's this Wick Fowler's Chilli mix? Will other brands do? (and if so which do you recommend?);
    It still rankles with me that I can't get regular stuff from the super market that is freely available in the US here in the UK.

Edit: - I didn't see the link! Checking it out now!
    Last edited by Novice; December 9th, 2007 at 10:37 AM. Reason: because I'm a bozo!

If Wick Fowler's is not available in your area, other chili mixes can be substituted. Usually the chili mix kit will include a packet of spices and some masa. The masa is usually added last, to thicken up the chili.

I've used Carroll Shelby before, and it's good, but it is not a huge deal if you can't find a name brand packet.

As long as you follow the directions on your packet (which may differ slightly from the directions I posted above), you should be fine!

A*O

You can even make your own chilli spice mix - I use dried red chilli flakes, cumin (THE essential ingredient), corriander powder, fresh garlic and ginger. Fiddle around with it until you get it just right. It's half the fun.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

^^I make my own, too. I don't use meat, but I add beans, onions and peppers.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    You can even make your own chilli spice mix - I use dried red chilli flakes, cumin (THE essential ingredient), corriander powder, fresh garlic and ginger. Fiddle around with it until you get it just right. It's half the fun.
    Thanks A*O - when I looked at the details on the site that SouthernBelle linked to - it even had ingredients!!! Yeah!!!

I'm going to be trying this!

Isn't Don Henley one of the Eagles?
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

A case of beer is rather vague - cans or bottles [which I assume might hold more than cans]? 6-pack, 12-pack, 24-pack?

Do you need to call someone to drive you home after you eat it?

OMG I see what you mean! I hadn't read the quantites!!!! (you know how I cook now don't you.... just chucking a bit in here & there)

Quote Originally Posted by aabbcc View Post
    A case of beer is rather vague - cans or bottles [which I assume might hold more than cans]? 6-pack, 12-pack, 24-pack?

Do you need to call someone to drive you home after you eat it?
    A case of beer is 24 beer.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I use the False Alarm Chili Packet as well...I use ground turkey... I make this every couple of weeks and I still have bunch of it in the freezer right now... I know what's for dinner.

You really only use about 1 can of beer to make the chili.

A case is suggested because you serve beer to everyone who is eating the chili, and you also usually drink it as you go along to get in the right "attitude" for chili

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I do the same thing... beer to sip while I stir... for some odd reason I was drinking chardonnay while I was making this before thanksgiving... I was buzzed either way!

Thread Information