Thread: Your favourite rice recipe

Default Your favourite rice recipe

Mine is arroz verde, green rice.

Arroz Verde (Green Rice)

Serves six to eight.

1/2 cup tightly packed fresh cilantro sprigs (about 1/2 oz.)

1 cup tightly packed fresh stemmed spinach leaves (about 1-1/2 oz.)

1-1/4 cups homemade or low-salt canned chicken or veggie stock

1-1/4 cups milk OR water

1 tsp. salt

1 Tbs. olive oil

3 Tbs. unsalted butter

1-1/2 cups long-grain rice

1/4 cup finely minced onion

1 clove garlic, minced

Put the cilantro, spinach, and stock in a blender and blend until the vegetables are puréed. Add the milk and salt and blend a bit more until well combined.

In a medium (3-qt.) heavy-based saucepan (with a good lid) over medium heat, heat the olive oil and butter. When the butter is melted, add the rice and sauté, stirring about every 30 seconds, until it just begins to brown, 3 to 4 min. Add the onion and garlic and cook 1 min., stirring constantly. Add the contents of the blender, stir well, turn the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Cover the pan, turn the heat to very low, and cook for 20 min. Stir the rice carefully to avoid crushing it, cover, and cook another 5 min.

Take the pan off the heat and let the rice steam in the covered pot for 10 min. Serve hot.

This dish is excellent with poultry and seafood. I made it for Christmas one year and it was a big hit. You can use brown rice, but you have to cook it for about 40-45 minutes.

Default Re: Your favourite rice recipe

Oh that sounds so good.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

SVZ

me chinese, me like rice, me eet flayed rice all da time!

anyways....

what i do is I steam it, and in the water at the bottom of the steam (i use a big pot and put a little bowl inside) i put rice vinegar, soy sauce, and cracked black peppers. it infuses it with the taste!

I loooove rice, but risotto is my fave. Most of the time, though, it's made with chicken or beef broth, so I don't eat it. Here's a vegetarian one I got a few years ago, from Bon Appetit:

3 cups canned vegetable broth
    1 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons olive oil
    1 cup arborio rice or medium-grain white rice
    1 cup chopped mushrooms
    3/4 cup sugar snap peas, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    1/4 cup chopped fresh mint

Combine broth and wine in saucepan. Simmer over medium. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy medium saucepan over medium. Add rice; stir 2 minutes. Stir in all but 1/4 cup broth-wine mixture. Stir constantly for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer about 20 minutes.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, sugar snap peas and bell pepper; sauté until crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Stir into risotto along with cheese and mint. Mix in enough remaining broth mixture if needed.

A*O

You can't beat plain old basmati rice with a curry.
    I love Chinese sticky rice (the stuff that comes wrapped in a parcel made from leaves) but I can't get the hang of making it. Some secret to it I'm sure. I also like Japanese sushi rice, but again there's an art to it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

When I'm feeling lazy, I like just making rice and drizzling some soy sauce on it. Yum.

I loooove making fried rice. I think everyone probably knows how, so I won't bother with a recipe. I will say that it helps to cook the rice the night before and put it in the fridge. For some reason, cold rice just works better. Also, try peanut oil and add a little dark sesame oil. It's good.

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Quote Originally Posted by Pacu View Post
    Pineapple & Giner RIce

1 tsp grated ginger
    half pint pinapple (i use fresh) juice
    salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons toasted pinenuts (or other nuts)
    1 tablespoon chopped corriander
    4oz basmati rice

put rice, ginger pineapple juice, salt and pepper in saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir, cover and simmer til done. stir in pinenuts and corriander just before serving.

this goes very will with coconut and pineapple chicken
    That sounds yummy!!

I love Chinese sticky rice (the stuff that comes wrapped in a parcel made from leaves) but I can't get the hang of making it.
    Me, too. I tried making this without the banana leaf thingy. I think the trick is to use less water than you would for regular rice but I'm still in my experimental stage.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

A*O

OK - Anyone know how to make authentic Chinese sticky rice??? I get mine in a doggy bag from my fave Chinese restaurant in Melbourne where they do the BEST yum cha (dim sim) lunch on the planet. Ricketty old trolleys with exquisite treats in baskets wheeled around the restaurant and they tick off what you have on a scrappy old piece of paper. Always hot, delicious and leaves you wanting just one more.
    There is an urban rumour in Melbourne that all the Chinese restaurants in our Chinatown, the Little Bourke St/Russell St block, are actually served by the same massive sub-terranean kitchen. I almost believe it LOL.
    Dame Edna Everage

Well, I did a quick search, and there was much talk of using "glutinous rice" which basically just means sticky rice. They talk about it as if there is "glutinous" rice out there at your local grocery, but I've never seen it.

Wikipedia explains it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glutinous_rice

Another site says:
    Despite its name, this rice isn't sweet and it doesn't contain gluten. Instead, it's a very sticky, short-grain rice that is widely used by Asians, who use it to make sushi and various desserts. You can buy this as either white or black (actually a rust color) rice. Substitutes: risotto rice (works well in sushi) OR short-grain rice (This also works well in sushi, as long as you use white rice. Brown short-grain rice doesn't stick together as well.) OR medium-grain rice (Also good for sushi).

Short recipe:

1 1/2 cups glutinous rice
    water

1. Soak rice overnight in cold water, or for 15 minutes in boiling water if short of time.
    2. Drain the rice, rinse and spread out on a wet cloth inside a steamer.
    3. Cook over boiling water for 40 minutes, until rice is tender.
    Last edited by muchlove; December 4th, 2005 at 03:36 PM.

A*O

Thanks much - but I'm sure they put something in it as well to make it taste slightly sweet. Probably sugar. Overnight soaking + 40 mins (!) cooking seems an awfully long time. I guess you have to use the right type of rice.
    Dame Edna Everage

pretending to be a lurker but I'm not quiet enough

Yep, sticky rice is different from regular short grain rice or Japanese rice. The one I bought was Korean and it was called Sweet Rice. But I think this one is also different from Chinese sticky rice because it's way softer when I cook it (even with reduced amount of water). You could probablly buy the right sticky rice from a Chinese grocery store, ask the clerk working there.

To flavour it, cook it with sweet soy sauce (you can buy this, or just mix some soy sauce with a bit of sugar). You can also cook the sticky rice with some shiitake mushrooms, chinese sausages, chinese dried shrimps, carrots, scallions (all diced small) and top it with cilantro after it's cooked.

If you think it's crazy, you ain't seen a thing. Just wait until we're goin down in flames.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacu View Post
    Pineapple & Giner RIce

1 tsp grated ginger
    half pint pinapple (i use fresh) juice
    salt and pepper
    2 tablespoons toasted pinenuts (or other nuts)
    1 tablespoon chopped corriander
    4oz basmati rice

put rice, ginger pineapple juice, salt and pepper in saucepan. Bring to boil. Stir, cover and simmer til done. stir in pinenuts and corriander just before serving.

this goes very will with coconut and pineapple chicken

That sounds divine - I will be making that soon.
    He who knows does not speak.
    He who speaks does not know.
    Lao-tzu

Does anyone have a great Spanish rice or Mexican rice recipe? I've tried all the boxed kinds, I've tried making it from scratch, and none of them are the flavor I'm looking for. I want it to taste like it does in the Mexican restaurants!!! Even the flavor of Taco Bell's rice would be fine!

Oooh, thanks PB!!! You know, I never browned the rice first...perhaps that is what I've been missing for the flavor! Thanks again.

Thread Information