Thread: Mushroom pasta and sour cream casserole

Default Mushroom pasta and sour cream casserole

Low-fat mushroom pasta and sour cream casserole

I adapted this dead-easy and fairly quick recipe from a great cookbook of retro recipes called Square Meals. In that book they call it He-man's Tuna Noodle Casserole but I adapted it for my vegetarian hubby. Nigella Lawson also has a recipe for a mushroom pasta casserole but hers is insanely rich.

Ingredients

one box noodles -- I use wholewheat penne, but you can also use egg noodles or even macaroni
    one can condensed, low-fat cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup skim or low-fat milk
    3/4-1 cup no-fat sour cream
    dash of dry sherry, or to taste
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    one clove finely chopped garlic (optional)
    about 1/2 cup combined finely chopped green pepper and celery
    1/4 cup sliced pimento or red pepper
    1 cup (or more to taste) sliced fresh mushrooms such as crimini, button or
    shitake and/OR one mushroom stock cube (Star brand is best if you can find it)
    1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas optional -- I usually add these if I don't have fresh mushrooms
    salt and pepper to taste
    about 1/4 cup (or to taste of grated parmasan cheese)
    1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I prefer Panko) or you can use crumbled Ritz crackers
    cayenne pepper (optional)
    parsley for garnish

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Boil noodles. While they are cooking, sautee chopped onions, garlic, peppers, celery until translucent. Then add sliced mushrooms, soup and milk and stir well. Once that mixture is hot, add sour cream, sherry (and peas if you like) and continue stirring until mixed and hot. Mixture should be a little bit soupy but not thin. Do not boil. Remove from heat.

Place noodles in large casserole dish and stir in about one tbsp of butter. Mix well. Pour sour cream mixture over noodles and shake dish to ensure that sauce gets to the bottom. Spread breadcrumbs and cheese on top, sprinkle with cayenne, and bake covered for about 25-30 minutes, or less if you have a hot oven. Uncover and broil for a couple of minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven, let sit a few minutes and garnish with parsley.

Serve with steamed cauliflower and/or peas. If you choose to add a can of drained tuna to the sauce, add more milk or sour cream.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; September 30th, 2007 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    Low-fat mushroom pasta and sour cream casserole

I adapted this dead-easy and fairly quick recipe from a great cookbook of retro recipes called Square Meals. In that book they call it He-man's Tuna Noodle Casserole but I adapted it for my vegetarian hubby. Nigella Lawson also has a recipe for a mushroom pasta casserole but hers is insanely rich.

Ingredients

one box noodles -- I use wholewheat penne, but you can also use egg noodles or even macaroni
    one can condensed, low-fat cream of mushroom soup
    1 cup skim or low-fat milk
    3/4-1 cup no-fat sour cream
    dash of dry sherry, or to taste
    1/2 cup finely chopped onion
    one clove finely chopped garlic (optional)
    about 1/2 cup combined finely chopped green pepper and celery
    1/4 cup sliced pimento or red pepper
    1 cup (or more to taste) sliced fresh mushrooms such as crimini, button or
    shitake and/OR one mushroom stock cube (Star brand is best if you can find it)
    1/2 cup frozen or fresh peas optional -- I usually add these if I don't have fresh mushrooms
    salt and pepper to taste
    about 1/4 cup (or to taste of grated parmasan cheese)
    1/4 cup breadcrumbs (I prefer Panko)
    cayenne pepper (optional
    parsley for garnish

Directions

Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees. Boil noodles. While they are cooking, sautee chopped onions, garlic, peppers, celery until translucent. Then add sliced mushrooms, soup and milk and stir well. Once that mixture is hot, add sour cream, sherry (and peas if you like) and continue stirring until mixed and hot. Mixture should be a little bit soupy but not thin. Do not boil. Remove from heat.

Place noodles in casserole dish and stir in about one tbsp of butter. Mix well. Pour sour cream mixture over noodles and shake dish to ensure that sauce gets to the bottom. Spread breadcrumbs and cheese on top, sprinkle with cayenne, and bake covered for about 25-30 minutes, or less if you have a hot oven. Uncover and broil for a couple of minutes until crust is golden brown. Remove from oven, let sit a few minutes and garnish with parsley.

Serve with steamed cauliflower and/or peas. If you choose to add a can of drained tuna to the sauce, add more milk and sour cream.
    Sounds delicious! Now make a huge batch and send it to me so I can eat a huge meal of it and then freeze the rest for later consumption!~ *drool*

Yeah, it's even better the second day. It's one of those dishes that you can vary endlessly depending on what's in the fridge and it still tastes good. Soj, my hubby already has dibs on the leftovers!

Hit By Ban Bus!

PB, your husband is one lucky guy!

Thanks for posting this PB. I've tried a few of your posted recipes before with success. This one sounds like another winner. I pretty much have all of the ingredients in the pantry, I'll give this a go sometime in the week.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

I hope you like it.

OK-this one is way too complicated for me! Are you SURE this isn't mega fattening??
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No, it's not, although you don't want to eat huge amounts of pasta. Whole wheat pasta is a complex carbohydrate, which breaks down faster and is better for you. And it's not hard. Essentially you just boil pasta, make a sauce, and bake it all together in the oven. My recipes may be a bit over-complicated in that I give people a lot of options, but it's really easy to make. Promise.

Sounds delicious

Thread Information