Thread: Beer cake

Default Beer cake

OK. This cake is a bit irritating to make, but if you have the time and want a rich, buttery, nice tasting cake, this is good.

Take 250 g of butter and rub into 4 cups of self raising flour. Then beat 4 eggs with 1 cup of castor sugar and mix that into the flour mix. Then add 2 cups of beer, 1 tsp of lemon essence, 1 cup of mixed fruit and a pinch of nutmeg.
    Put into a "25 cm square cake tin"... which I don't have, so I used 2 tins - it's quite a big mixture!

Topping:
    Another 250g of butter, 2 cups of plain flour, 1 cup of castor sugar, 1 tbsp cinnamom. Rub that all together and sprinkle over the cake mixture... and in my case, spill half of it on the floor (as I said, making this cake was a *very* frustrating process for me!)

Then bake in moderate oven for 30-35 mins.

Bit time consuming and fiddly, but nice. And you get to say to people "have some beer cake!" which is always a good conversation starter!

I have never had beer cake but I have tried beer bread and it actually tasted quite good. I never made it myself though.

Beer bread is awesome. Beer battered fish - amazing.

Beer cake... nice, but a hell of a lot of bother!

I need to know: what is a g of butter? Is castor sugar plain sugar or powdered? Is a 25cm pan a 9 x 11? And did you use 8" square ones instead? Is a moderate oven 350 degrees?
    Oh! And by mixed fruit-did you just use a can of fruit cocktail or something special? I am sorry about being so stupid about this, but I really want to try this cake!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I need to know: what is a g of butter? Is castor sugar plain sugar or powdered? Is a 25cm pan a 9 x 11? And did you use 8" square ones instead? Is a moderate oven 350 degrees?
    Oh! And by mixed fruit-did you just use a can of fruit cocktail or something special? I am sorry about being so stupid about this, but I really want to try this cake!
    g=gram
    "Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counsellors, and the most patient of teachers."

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post

g = gram
    moderate oven, around 180 celcius
    mixed fruit = I just used sultanas, because that's all I had. Quite nice!
    castor sugar is.... castor sugar! Umm... super fine white sugar, probably the simplest way to describe it. Not sure what it might be called in the US. It's not sweet powdered sugar (icing sugar).

As far as the tin goes - I work on the principle that you use what you've got So I rarely if ever pay attention to the size directions of pans. My advice is that this makes a HUGE quantity of cake, and rises a lot and has a crumbly topping. So get out your biggest cake tin!

Hit By Ban Bus!

Beer is good....Thx for that....I will give it a lash real soon...cheers.

it's a bit of a prick to make, but quite a nice cake. And cooking with beer is always fun

Good luck!

Thread Information