Login to remove the ads!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By pacific breeze

Thread: I need a baked bean recipe?

Default I need a baked bean recipe?

Do any of you have a baked bean recipe you would share with me?

French Canadian Baked Beans
    foodnetworkcanada.com
    6 servings
    Time to make 7 hours 15 min prep

1 lb small white pea beans
    1 onion, coarsely chopped
    1 teaspoon dry mustard
    2 teaspoons ground black pepper
    1-2 cup pure maple syrup, plus more if desired
    1/3 lb salt pork (or good-quality bacon)
    salt to taste

1. Pour the beans onto a plate, and pick over looking for bad beans, or stones. Place beans in bowl, cover with water by at least 2 inches, and soak overnight.
    2. Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
    3. Drain beans and place in 4-quart bean pot. Add onion, dry mustard, pepper, salt, and maple syrup. Add water to cover. Cut salt pork into 1-inch pieces and place on top of beans. Bake covered, approximately 8 hours. Check each hour to see if water needs to be added. You can add more maple syrup in place of water for flavor, if desired.
    4. Serve the beans with brown bread, franks, or ham. For breakfast, serve with eggs, bacon, and home-fries.

Traditional Canadian baked beans (my favorite because I love the molasses/maple syrup combination)

2 cups white or navy beans
    1 onion, sliced
    5 cups water
    1/4 cup maple sugar
    2 tsp. dry mustard (or brown sugar)
    3 tbsp. maple syrup
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    2 tbsp. molasses
    2 tsp. salt
    pound salt pork, sliced

Pick through dried beans & wash. Put in pot, add water, and boil for 2 minutes. Remove from heat, cover tightly, and soak 1 hour or overnight (preferably overnight). Drain soaking liquid; replace with 5 cups hot water. Add mustard, pepper, salt. Cover and simmer 1 hour on stove. Preheat oven to 300 F. Place beans, liquid, onion, sugar, maple syrup, molasses and half of pork in bean pot or casserole with tight-fitting lid. Sprinkle remaining pork on top. Bake in oven, covered, for 4-5 hours. Remove cover for last half hour to brown pork. Add water if mixture gets too dry.
    Karina likes this.

I love to make baked beans, but I don't have a recipe. Unfortunately, most of the things I cook I don't follow an exact recipe
    But this is what I use.
    Large can of pork and beans
    medium onion-diced
    small bell pepper-diced
    1/2 pound ground chuck
    bbq sauce
    brown sugar
    mustard
    salt
    pepper
    garlic powder

Brown the ground chuck and season. In a large casserole dish combine the beans, ground chuck, onions, peppers...this is where the "no recipe" comes in-add some ketchup, bbq sauce, small squirt of mustard and about a handful of brown sugar.
    I know that sounds so vague, but if you just do it to taste, it is wonderful! Bake about 30-40 minutes

Thanks ladies.
    I just whipped up a BIG pan of them this weekend and everyone gobbled them up so they must have been good.

I just used the Bush's baked beans, added 1/2 cup of brown sugar and some finely chopped onion, an a drop or two of molasses. They were yummy.

I always use the Bush's baked beans and add lots of brown sugar and maple syrup. It's super easy and delicious.

I hardly ever make them but when I do, home-made tastes so much better. We don't have Bush's beans up here, but I still like home-made.

Ok here's one. I am the 5 ingredient girl, and make 10 min meals.

This is a family recipe, so there are no exact measurements. Eveyone I know LOVES this recipe, so good luck

Pork N Beans
    Brown Sugar
    Boetje's brown mustard

Now, I don't know if Boetje's is just a Midwest thing, you could substitue another brown mustard, but Boetje's is the secret ingredient for us.
    You just add ingredients to taste. However, a good guideline to use is 2 tbs sugar for every 1tbs of mustard. If you like your a little bit spicy, use more mustard, a little more sweet, add sugar. you just can't go wrong.

Put in oven at 350 degrees. Now, I HATE runny beans so if I do 2 cans of beans, I cook it for over an hour, so they are thick and have almost a little brown layer on top. Now if you don't like your beans thick, don't cook as long.

Thread Information