Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OK Spud Lovers -- Post Your Favourite Potato Recipe

Default OK Spud Lovers -- Post Your Favourite Potato Recipe

Here's one of mine. It's a little time consuming but worth it. Don't skimp on the Gruyere tho -- it makes the dish.

Potatoes Dauphinoise

1 lb (450 g) medium potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin rounds
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    pinch nutmeg, freshly grated is best
    2 3/4 cups (21 fl oz) 600 ml milk, warmed, can be low fat
    1 egg, beaten
    1/2 stick (2 oz) 50 g butter
    2 oz (50 g) or more to taste Gruyere cheese, grated
    1 garlic clove
    1 small onion

1. Heat the oven to 350°F (177°C)

2. Rub a shallow ovenproof dish well with garlic and butter it. Layer potatoes and onions, dotting each layer with butter, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheese. Leave about 1/2 cup cheese aside.

3. Beat the egg and strain into the warm milk.

4. Pour mixture over potatoes, shaking to make sure it is evenly dispersed.

5. Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and dot with butter.

6. Bake in a preheated oven for 30 - 40 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the dish is golden and crispy on top. I usually cook it covered for about 35 minutes, then take the cover off.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; November 21st, 2005 at 08:07 PM.

Default Re: OK Spud Lovers -- Post Your Favourite Potato Recipe

oh man, that is a difficult question!! I LOVE potatoes, they are so versatile!
    Lets see... I love to peel them and stick them in the microwave until almost soft, and then chop them carefully, coz those suckers are HOT, and mix them up with a nice assortment of vegetables (chopped onion, broccoli, carrot, you can pick whatever you like best here) in a baking tray. Season well with salt, pepper, paprica, garlic powder, maybe some nutmeg.. and top with olive oil and a mixture of egg, milk, salt, and some grated cheese on top... Sounds more complicated than it is, but its a great gratin idea which can be literally prepared for the oven in minutes. This is something I make last minute..

A*O

In no particular order:

Mashed potatoes: boil some 'floury' as opposed to 'waxy' spuds in salted water. Then mash and mash with lots of butter, milk (cream if your arteries can stand it) and black pepper. Serve with sausages and onion gravy for a traditional British Bangers and Mash.

Baked Potatoes. You can cheat and start them off in the microwave, but I think it's better to start from stratch in the oven. Wash some tennis-ball size spuds and dry thoroughly. Prick all over with a fork and place in a 200C oven for a couple of hours until the skin is very crisp. Serve with something like a chilli con carne with lashings of butter and EAT THE SKINS!!!

Potato Salad - Boil some waxy baby salad spuds and drain. Cut into smallish pieces and mix with mayo, fresh chopped mint and/or garlic.

Smashed Roast Spuds - Boil some floury spuds until almost cooked. Drain and put in baking tray and smash with the end of a rolling pin. Pour over 100g of melted butter + crushed garlic and fresh rosemary and put into a hot oven to crisp up for a few minutes. Fantastic served with lamb.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

The trick with mashed potatoes is to mash them before you add the milk and butter. You get the perfect consistency that way and they won't turn to glue. I like to use sour cream instead of milk, too.

I love adding garlic (this is when you can use that garlic press) and shredded cheddar cheese to them while they're still really hot... it's soooo good. Or just garlic and parlsey.

Garlic flavoured mashed potatoes are the perfect accompaniment for fish dishes. Its a classic in Greece, only when you mash the potatoes, you dont add milk, but instead opt for olive oil. In this potato sidedish, the goal is rather to make it chewy and sticky.

Comfort food! Potato Dumplings

Mix some mashed potatoes (either leftovers or made for the purpose) with some egg, a bit of chopped parsley and flour. I never measure, but say for a family of four as a side dish about 3 cups of potato, one egg and then add enough flour so the dough isn't too sticky to work with. Flour your hands and roll the dough into balls about two inches in diameter. Gently drop into a large pot of boiling water. When they float, they are done, but I usually give them an extra minute or so. I serve them with a gravy made from the drippings of roast turkey or chicken, but other gravies would be good too. Enjoy!

Right this will sound disgusting but I love it, my Mum makes them.

She bakes a potato then scoops out the soft potato leaving the shells of skin to one side.

In a bowl she will mash the potato and season to taste, add chopped ham,and onion / herbs, then (and this is the disgusting bit) she will add tomato ketchup and mayonnaise and mash again then pat back into the shells, add a slice of cheese and tomato and grill until bubbling.

It really is great comfort food, sure its not healthy but it hits the spot!

I like to make mashed potatoes in the regular way, and throw in a tiny pinch of wasabi. Good stuff, and it clears out your sinuses.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Glasgow53 View Post
    I like to make mashed potatoes in the regular way, and throw in a tiny pinch of wasabi. Good stuff, and it clears out your sinuses.
    This is my favorite, I was just about to post it!! Wasabi mashed potatoes are wonderful!!! Although, I throw in more than a pinch. Despite it's potency, I like to add quite a bit so the flavor really comes through.

I was just about to post a few others too. Unfortunately, I'm not much of a vegetable person but love tater!!! So I love them prepared a few different ways. Recipes to follow...

Okay--here's one. It's a great little appetizer or finger-food at party.

Potato Pancakes:
    1 pound baking potatoes, like russets, peeled
    1/4 cup vegetable oil
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper

Additional Ingredients:
    Smoked Salmon
    Sour Cream
    Salmon caviar (optional)

Grate the potatoes and squeeze between towels to dry.
    Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Toss the potatoes lightly with salt and pepper and add in batches to the skillet, pressing down with a spatula to form a cake. As the potato cake starts to crust on the bottom, cover, and cook over medium-low heat until brown and crusty on the bottom, about 7 to 10 minutes. Flip the potato cake and add the remaining oil to the pan. Cook until the cake is brown on the second side and cooked through, about 5 minutes. I think the crisper, the better.

Drape each potato pancake wedge with a slice of smoked salmon, topped with 2 teaspoons of sour cream, and 1/2 teaspoon of salmon caviar. (If you skip the caviar as I usually do, I put some sliced chives on top.)

All of these recipes sound soooo good.

Here's an easy one that's good when new potatoes are in season.

Scrub red or yellow nugget potatoes (I think the red taste best). Toss in large bowl with olive oil, salt, freshly ground black pepper and fresh or dried rosemary and LOTS of chopped garlic. It doesn't have to be chopped fine. Squeeze one-half fresh lemon into mixture. Mix thoroughly until all the potatoes are lightly coated.

Dump into largish shallow baking dish and bake slowly at 300 degrees, turning occasionally. When almost tender (about 35 minutes or so, do a fork test) turn the heat up a bit to crisp the potatoes.

Serve with lamb, roast beef, chicken or all by their lonesome. I also like them with chili or tabasco sauce on the side.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; January 21st, 2006 at 07:23 PM.

You can make the above ^ also with oregano (instead of rosemary) and lemon juice, its one of my favourite things to do with potatoes ever. Great with grilled chicken

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

I like to bake large potatoes, scoop out the insides and set aside the shell of the skins. You take the potato insides and mash them, mixing in cottage cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream and a bit of mashed garlic. You stuff the skin shells with this mixture and top with your favorite cheese and sprinkle with Hungarian paprika.

Quote Originally Posted by UndercoverGator
    I like to bake large potatoes, scoop out the insides and set aside the shell of the skins. You take the potato insides and mash them, mixing in cottage cheese, sliced green onions, sour cream and a bit of mashed garlic. You stuff the skin shells with this mixture and top with your favorite cheese and sprinkle with Hungarian paprika.

^^ Thats my mums recipe, however your ingredients are far more gourmet than my chav ingredients of ham, onion, mayo and ketchup!!

Hit By Ban Bus! UndercoverGator's Avatar

Yeah but I'll have to try it chav style now too. I have recently had a couple of recipes I tried with simple ingredients and mustard and ketchup that were actually very tasty. One of my favorite cookbooks is callled "White Trash Cooking" and filled with things like Coca Cola salad and stuff made with spam. The food is surprisingly good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information