Thread: Bean salads -- I love 'em

Default Bean salads -- I love 'em

Bean Salads
    The Minimalist: Not for Bean Counters (June 20, 2007)
    Recipe: Bean Salads - New York Times

2 cups dried beans, split peas or lentils, sorted

1 tablespoon red wine vinegar or lemon juice, more to taste

2 to 4 tablespoons minced red onion or shallot

Salt and ground black pepper

1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

1/4 to 1/2 cup chopped parsley.

1. Rinse beans, then place in a pot with water to cover by a couple of inches; bring to a boil, partly cover and simmer until tender, from 30 minutes (lentils) to as long as 2 hours or more (chickpeas and larger beans). While beans cook, stir red wine vinegar and onion together in a large bowl. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Stir in olive oil.

2. Cook beans until just tender, before their skins split. Drain. While still hot, add them to bowl with dressing. Toss gently until coated.

3. Let cool to room temperature (or refrigerate), stirring once or twice. Stir in parsley just before serving. Adjust seasoning if necessary.

Yield: 6 to 8 servings.

Variations: Italian Style Use cannellini or cranberry beans. Season vinegar with 1 tablespoon minced garlic and 1 teaspoon minced rosemary in addition to onions. For a milder taste, use white wine vinegar. If you have basil and you will serve salad right away, use 1/4 cup in place of rosemary.

French Style Use Le Puy lentils or flageolet beans. Use sherry vinegar instead of red wine vinegar. Replace red onion with thinly sliced shallots. Instead of parsley, stir in 2 tablespoons minced tarragon before serving.

Greek Style Use dried fava or gigante beans. Use fresh lemon juice, not vinegar. Add 1 tablespoon minced garlic, along with onions. Instead of parsley, finish with 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint.

Japanese Style Use edamame or adzuki beans. Substitute rice wine vinegar for red wine vinegar and grapeseed or corn oil for olive oil. Instead of parsley, finish with 1 sheet nori, toasted and crumbled.

Indian Style Use chickpeas. Use rice wine vinegar and 2 to 4 tablespoons minced or grated fresh ginger instead of red onion or shallot. Instead of olive oil, use 2 tablespoons peanut oil and 2 tablespoons coconut milk. Use cilantro instead of parsley.

Texas Caviar Use black-eyed peas. Use lime juice instead of red wine vinegar. When adding onions, add 1 clove minced garlic, 1/4 cup minced red bell pepper and minced jalapeņo chili to taste. Use cilantro instead of parsley.

You always make such tasty things PB. Adopt me

Hehe. Bean salads are so easy. I often just open a can of mixed beans, drain them, mix a little red wine vinegar and olive oil into them, chop a little red or green onion, celery and red pepper and parsley -- or whatever fresh herbs or veggies you have on hand -- salt and pepper and presto, an easy healthy salad that keeps a couple of days in the fridge.

PB please!! You know I love your recipes & have wanted to be adopted by you far longer than others BUT!!!
    As an avid Texas Caviar fan who has tasted the best-all with slight variations-NO NO LIME JUICE!! Please fix it! Pinklilycat will think It is aimed at her! Really-use red wine vinegar-even white-with a tablespoon or so of olive oil or even Paul Newmans Italian or Oil & Vinegar instead. Also everyone is in agreement: refrigerate over night.Nice on a bed of greens or used as a dip with pita or corn chips. Also-some add a liittle corn or chopped fresh tomato. Put the lime in the coconut-not on black eyed peas,please!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^^Those are not my recipes, McJag, lol. They're from the NYTimes. I always use wine vinegar and the best olive oil I can afford. I don't necessarily like corn or tomato in my salads -- it would depend. If I used corn, I would also use ciilantro and lime!

Quote Originally Posted by pacific breeze View Post
    ^^Those are not my recipes, McJag, lol. They're from the NYTimes. I always use wine vinegar and the best olive oil I can afford. I don't necessarily like corn or tomato in my salads -- it would depend. If I used corn, I would also use ciilantro and lime!
    NO! Swear you will not put lime on black eyed peas! Sacrilege! Maybe lemon-not lime!!OK without tomatoes & some put in those little pimientos...
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information