Thread: Easiest favourite appetizers

Default Easiest favourite appetizers

I'm getting bored with all the usual ones I make such as hummus, salmon dip, bean deap, artichoke dip, crudites, etc.

I'm looking for some tasty, new ideas.

I make salmon bruschetta. It's delicious. I use smoked salmon and crostini's (or toasted thinly sliced baguette).

Easy Bruschetta

2 small tomatoes, diced
    1 clove garlic or 1/4 tsp granulated garlic
    1 or 2 leaves chopped fresh basil or 1/2 tsp dried basil
    1/2 tsp dried oregano
    1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
    salt pepper

stir all ingredients together and chill for 30 minutes

Prepare to crostini's with either a softened goat cheese or spread with cream cheese, top with small slice of smoked salmon. Top with chilled bruschetta and add capers and fresh lemon juice if desired.

That does sound good. I'm gonna ask a mod to move this to the recipes thread.

I make a great feta dip, but I haven't made it for a while because I've been dieting a little.

I love feta! We have a fabulous international market near by that has such great French feta (sometimes I like Bulgarian because it's so salty).

Sweet Summer Cucumbers
    2 cups thinly sliced white onions
    8 cups thinly sliced cucumbers
    2 cups sugar
    1 cup cider vinegar
    2 tablespoons salt
    2 teaspoons celery seed

Stir the onions gently into the cucumbers. Mix together the sugar, salt, vinegar, and celery seed. Pour the liquid mixture over the cucumbers and onions and put into a large glass or plastic container in the fridge. Let the mixture marinate for a couple of days before eating. I like to serve with buttery crackers (like Ritz).

Spinach Balls
    2 packages frozen spinach, thawed
    2 cups dry herb-seasoned bread stuffing mix
    6 eggs
    1 cup finely chopped onion
    3/4 cups butter, melted
    3/4 cups grated parmesan cheese
    1 cup chopped fresh parsley
    1 1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
    1/2 teaspoon thyme
    1/2 teaspoon pepper
    1 teaspoon salt

Drain the spinach well by squeezing in several thicknesses of paper towels. Chop finely. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients and mix well. Form into small (about 1 1/4 inch) balls; place on cookie sheet and freeze solid.

When frozen, place in plastic freezer bags and store in the freezer until needed.

To bake: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place frozen balls on a cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes.

Apple Dip
    8 ounce package cream cheese, regular or light
    1/2 cup salad dressing, regular or light
    1/2 cup finely shredded Cheddar cheese

Allow cream cheese to stand at room temperature for 15 minutes. Blend cream cheese thoroughly with the salad dressing. Mix in the cheese, and chill. Serve with wedges of apples.

Hot Dungeness Crab Appetizer
    14 ounce can artichoke hearts
    1/2 pound Dungeness crabmeat
    2 cups mayonnaise
    1 small yellow onion, sliced thinly
    1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
    minced fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Drain artichoke hearts and chop into 1/4-inch pieces. Drain crab well. Combine all ingredients and mix well. Place in a shallow baking dish and heat in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes or until internal temperature is at least 140 degrees F. Garnish with minced parsley and serve with assorted breads.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I love feta! We have a fabulous international market near by that has such great French feta (sometimes I like Bulgarian because it's so salty).
    Feta cheese is greek,French one is a stupid imitation,Bulgarian is closer but not the same,try Greek hard feta cheese..you,ll see..
    "Effie is all kinds of awesome." - Some internet moderator

Can of deviled ham. cream cheese-mix. Serve with any kind of chips. A*O will scoff but honestly, men love it! Also can roll up in tortillias,slice into rounds-presto! Pinwheels.

Now this is the big all time hit in Dallas:
    Rotel Cheese Dip:
    1 pound Velvetta cheese in 1 inch cubes.
    1 can Rotel (tomatoes and green chilies)
    Put in covered casserole. Microwave 5 minutes on high until cheese melts, stirring once.
    best served warm, some people just keep in in a crock pot.
    Use corn chips,pita chips, crackers-whatever! Great on celery,carrots etc too!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    Feta cheese is greek,French one is a stupid imitation,Bulgarian is closer but not the same,try Greek hard feta cheese..you,ll see..
    I always knew Feta was Greek, but I didn't know that the french feta was imitation. I'll have to pick up the Greek next time I'm there. My boyfriend and his family always ask for the french, so I did too. Thanks for the tip.

Oh God, how I adore Feta. I still have to try the Feta dip recipe I think Twitchy posted here.
    My friends and I make a dip of Gorgonzola, milk, heavy cream & butter melted in a sauce pan and served with a nice french bread. Not low fat by any means, but it's frigging fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by DeChayz View Post
    Oh God, how I adore Feta. I still have to try the Feta dip recipe I think Twitchy posted here.
    My friends and I make a dip of Gorgonzola, milk, heavy cream & butter melted in a sauce pan and served with a nice french bread. Not low fat by any means, but it's frigging fantastic.
    Oh, that sounds like heaven!!! Please post the specifics of that recipe.

Oh jeez, I wish I could remember...it's one of those recipes that you tweak so much you end up throwing it away lol. I usually use a wedge of Gorgonzola and throw it in a sacepan with what I would say is 60% milk and 40% heavy cream or half-and-half. The actual measurements are pretty much up to your own judgement as to if you want it thicker or thinner. When the Gorgonzola melts and combines with the liquid to be relatively smooth, throw in a pat of butter and use it as a dip for the bread. I realize without measurements it probably didn't help much, I'll try to find the actual recipe...

Feta Garlic Dip (courtesy of my sister)

1/2 cup good-quality olive oil (I put in about a quarter but it's to taste)
    2-3 tbsp. vinegar
    2-3 garlic cloves pressed
    1 tsp. dried dill weed
    1.5 cups grated, or chopped feta (I prefer goat)
    1 cup milk or buttermilk (or less if you prefer a thicker consistency)
    salt and pepper to taste

Blend all the ingredients except the milk in a blender or food processor. Slowly pour in milk with the blender running. As soon as the dressing thickens, turn off blender. The mixture should be thick and creamy. Chill for at least 30 minutes (longer is better) to allows the flavours to meld.

Refrigerated and tightly covered, this dip stays fresh for 3-4 days, but it never, ever lasts that long! It it separates, re-blend.

This can also substitute as a salad dressing, which is how my sister originally envisioned it, but everybody starting eating it as a dip, so a dip it became. To make as a dressing, double the olive oil.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; June 8th, 2007 at 07:55 PM.

Both of those sound yummy!!

I haven't made it in a while but I'm supposed to bring an appetizer to a Fabulous Females house party tomorrow, so I'll probably make it. Yum!

Thread Information