Thread: Pancakes

Default Pancakes

In you G.Rockers I trust!! I am European one of those who, like, have only been taught the Mediterranean stuff.
    Can you please tell how the hell can you make such fantastic pancakes in the morning??? I just LOVE them.
    Once my sister boght me a pancake-mix in S.Francisco, I only had to add water and it was delicious even if it was "pre-coocked" .
    I know that people usually make them without buying any mix, but recipes I get are really bizarres, like using an ocean of oil and other things I don't even think they work for pancakes!!

Please help me and my stomach: we'll both be very grateful!! Friends forever!!
    Last edited by waikiki; May 3rd, 2007 at 03:29 PM.
    Three reasons to be teacher: June, July, August.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I think the Better Homes & Gardens one is good. When I don't feel like mixing 4 ingredients I buy Bisquick.

From Martha Stewart-my favorite!
    Buttermilk Pancakes

Serving: Makes nine 6-inch pancakes
    • 2 cups all-purpose flour
    • 2 teaspoons baking powder
    • 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
    • 3 cups buttermilk
    • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted, plus 1/2 teaspoon for griddle
    Directions
    1. Heat griddle to 375 degrees;. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps.
    2. Heat oven to 175 degrees;. Test griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If water bounces and spatters off griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush remaining 1/2 teaspoon of butter or reserved bacon fat onto griddle. Wipe off excess.
    3. Using a 4-ounce ladle, about 1/2 cup, pour pancake batter, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
    4. Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I just had pancakes for lunch at The Original Pancake House Mmmmm, good!!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Buttermilk Pancakes

• 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 3 cups buttermilk
    Directions
    1. Heat griddle to 375 degrees;. Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a medium bowl. Add eggs, buttermilk, and 4 tablespoons butter; whisk to combine. Batter should have small to medium lumps.
    2. Heat oven to 175 degrees;. Test griddle by sprinkling a few drops of water on it. If water bounces and spatters off griddle, it is hot enough. Using a pastry brush, brush remaining 1/2 teaspoon of butter or reserved bacon fat onto griddle. Wipe off excess.
    3. Using a 4-ounce ladle, about 1/2 cup, pour pancake batter, in pools 2 inches away from one other. When pancakes have bubbles on top and are slightly dry around edges, about 2 1/2 minutes, flip over. Cook until golden on bottom, about 1 minute.
    4. Repeat with remaining batter, keeping finished pancakes on a heatproof plate in oven. Serve warm.
    That is so clear and professional!! I'll try it this week-end because I have a bit of free time to test it all and then I'll tell you. It looks a bit complex, though. I hope I won't make a disaster.
    But THANK YOU!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Buttermilk Pancakes

• 1 teaspoon baking soda
    • 1/2 teaspoon salt
    • 3 tablespoons sugar
    • 3 cups buttermilk
    Directions
    But wait a minute, the "all-purpose flour" is the MIX you buy in suermarkets?? Because if it is so, there's no way to have it.

Quote Originally Posted by waikiki View Post
    But wait a minute, the "all-purpose flour" is the MIX you buy in suermarkets?? Because if it is so, there's no way to have it.
    No-she is saying just regular flour-not cake flour etc! Plain ol' flour. Martha would walk a plank before using mixes! Also-this sounds more complicated than it it-you will be like a pro in no time! Good luck!!!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The way to make the packaged ones extra fluffy and melt-in-your-mouth is to add 1 T. sugar, 2 T. lemon juice, and 2 tsp. baking powder for every 2 c. mix. I think you could adapt that idea to the Martha recipe as well.

And the mix is just flour, shortening, salt, and leavening agents anyway, so it's not really that much of a shortcut.

Thread Information