Thread: Ben and Jerry's coconut almond fudge chip -- by request

Default Ben and Jerry's coconut almond fudge chip -- by request

Sweet Cream Base
    2 c. heavy whipping cream
    1 c. milk
    3/4 c. sugar
    2 eggs (or 1/2 c. pasteurized egg subsitute to avoid raw egg factor)

Add-Ins
    1 15 oz. can coconut cream
    3/4 c. roasted almonds
    3/4 c. semisweet chocolate chips
    1 c. fudge sauce
    2 T. rum (or 1 tsp. rum extract or vanilla extract) - optional

Whisk eggs until fluffy. Whisk in sugar a little at a time, then pour in cream & milk and whisk until blended. Add coconut cream & rum. Freeze in ice cream maker per instructions. When the ice cream is almost done, add the chocolate chips & almonds. When the ice cream is completely done, stir in fudge sauce.

Note 1: Alcohol depresses the freezing point, so if you use rum, it may take longer than normal to freeze the ice cream.
    Note 2: B&J does have a special recipe for fudge sauce, but it was labour-intensive, so I figured a can from the store would do just as well.
    Note 3: I've never had this flavour, so I don't know how well this reproduces it, but everything else we've tried from their cookbook has been excellent.
    Note 4: If you don't have an ice cream maker, instructables has a [messier, I would presume] albeit no doubt as tasty, DIY version.

Godsend...that's what you are! I'll let you all know how it turns out... but more than likely I'll skip the fudge sauce - I'm lazy that way.

Skip it all together or skip making it from scratch? Surely you're not too lazy to dump a jar in at the end!

oh..I meant making it from scratch - although opening a jar is ALOT of trouble

Haha - it can be if you lack the torque (which I often do, sadly)!

You need one of these:
    Boa UK - Boa Constrictor multi-purpose strap wrench

I'd be staring at a row of sealed jars without it!

"The howling backwoods that is IMDB is where film criticism goes to die (and then have its corpse gang-raped, called a racist, and accused of supporting Al-Qaeda)" ----Sean O'Neal, The Onion AV Club

That looks as though it could put my little textured rubber lid openers to shame! Did I mention how much I love your Dalek icon? In case I didn't - I love your Dalek icon (especially when I imagine in my head the Dalek voice saying "f**k!" in that flat, emotionless tone that they have).

As an update - I'm making this tonight and I was able to confirm the recipe with a contact and Ben and Jerry's. A few additional details they told me. The chunks of 'fudge' are actually dark chocolate (semi-sweet chocolate chips are close, but not exact), there is no fudge stirred in (although it could be tasty), the BJ version has no rum and the almonds are roasted and whole...

I'm making the base as listed above, the only two add-ins are the coconut cream and roasted almonds (I've elected to use Dove's almonds, covered in dark chocolate)... I'll let you all know how it turns out!!!

Good luck Cloud! It was nice of B&J to fill you in on the specs of the recipe.

it is FABULOUS! and made for quite an impressive b-day gift!!! tofu - i can't thank you enough... in lieu of a fitting display of gratitude...i'm going to ask you another favor - does your book have wavy gravy in it?

Nope, unfortunately. It was published in 1987, so anything more recent won't be in there. What is in Wavy Gravy, though? Is it nuts and caramel? Because they mostly use the same bases for all the ice creams. I have the recipes for the chocolate and other cream bases that I can give you, and their caramel sauce, and then you can just add in whatever flavors. That's pretty much how all their recipes work - a base and some candy/nuts.

Bronze Member

Default Ben & Jerry's Coconut Almond Fudge Chip Ice Cream

This thread I have looked at is several years old, but if anyone is reading this that has worked with the recipe, I'd appreciate feedback. #1 using eggs, egg substitute or just leaving eggs out completely, #2 using whole roasted almonds or coarsely chopping, #3 using whole choc chips or coarsely chopping, #4 adding coconut, #5 adding chopped mounds or almond joy bars, #6 adding fudge sauce (my sense is that I will not add this but will add some chopped up mounds bars). If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to hear from you! TY

Welcome to the board Diane!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by diane1946 View Post
    This thread I have looked at is several years old, but if anyone is reading this that has worked with the recipe, I'd appreciate feedback. #1 using eggs, egg substitute or just leaving eggs out completely, #2 using whole roasted almonds or coarsely chopping, #3 using whole choc chips or coarsely chopping, #4 adding coconut, #5 adding chopped mounds or almond joy bars, #6 adding fudge sauce (my sense is that I will not add this but will add some chopped up mounds bars). If anyone has any experience with this, I'd love to hear from you! TY
    Diane, I've made LOTS of homemade ice cream since the original post so I'll give you my 2 cents on your options above
    1. Don't leave the eggs out, it's just not nearly as good. I've never used egg substitute but it's worth a try.
    2 and 3 are more a texture preference decision. I like chunks in my ice cream, so I wouldn't chop.
    4. yum, good idea.
    5. another good idea.
    6. you can do fudge sauce, but with options 2 - 5 also it's going to be a very busy ice cream as is.

I make lots of ice cream and I've had some failures, but for the most part, if you stick with the base above you can add just about anything with good results.

For Thanksgiving I used the base above and mixed in a jar of pumpkin butter - fucking pumpkin ice cream deliciousness!

Thread Information