Thread: Spaghetti Sauce

Default Spaghetti Sauce

Can I get some recipies for spagetti sauce please. I made it yesterday and we had it tonight for dinner and it just wasnt right. I dont know why but every so often this happens, after plating it up there is a ring of water on the outer part of the plate. I drain the noodles but Im thinking its the sauce its self.
    And why is it other people's spagetti sauce is so much better than mine? I make mine with pureed tomatoes and I do add crushed tomatoes to it also along with italian seasonings and let it simmer on low for about 3-4 hours and always let it sit over night in the fridge. Any suggestions, Ill take them all

Default Re: Spagetti Sauce

I think using the pureed tomatoes might be the problem. I always use fresh cut into chunks, or canned whole tomatoes. My sauce doesn't separate. And use olive oil to sautee your veggies, if you're not already doing that.

Default Re: Spaghetti Sauce

Here's mine:

The secret ingredient is baking soda, but don't taste the sauce right after adding it. Wait a while, and this sauce will not disappoint you. It has a wonderful "browned" flavour. It is good right from the stove, but the flavors blend overnight. Best served with your favorite meatball recipe, where the meatballs cook in the sauce the last half hour. Extremely filling. Recipe can easily be halved.

INGREDIENTS:

4 (14.5 ounce) cans whole peeled tomatoes
    2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
    4 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
    3 cups water
    4 cups fresh sliced mushrooms
    2 onions, chopped
    4 cloves garlic, minced
    4 teaspoons white sugar
    1/4 cup chopped fresh basil (1 heaping tbsp dried will do)
    salt to taste
    ground black pepper to taste
    generous pinch of chili flakes (optional)
    2 pinches baking soda
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

DIRECTIONS:

1. Sautee onions, garlic and mushrooms in your best olive oil in a large saucepan or deep frying pan until transluscent. Mix together whole tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, water, sugar, salt and pepper, basil, and 1 pinch of baking soda in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, stirring. Reduce to a simmer, and cook for 4 hours minimum.

2. Stir in another pinch of baking soda; the sauce will foam. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until thick and almost brown. Make sure to scrape the sides of the pan into the sauce.

3. After the sauce is fork consistency, stir in Parmesan cheese. Watch that the cheese does not burn. Taste sauce. If it is too tangy or acidic, add another pinch of baking soda and simmer another 1/2 hour.

4. Cool, cover, and refrigerate overnight. The next day, reheat and serve.

You can also add meatballs to this sauce before serving, or mild or hot Italian sausages at the second simmer stage.

8 large servings
    Last edited by pacific breeze; November 10th, 2005 at 02:20 AM.

I'll see if I can get my mom's pasta sauce recipe. Her's was always so good. She used to make it in the crock pot while everyone was at work and school, so I'd be the first home from school and smell the tomato sauce and get all excited about dinner.

I posted a recipe earlier for "spicy marinara" sauce....maybe marinara was the wrong word. It's what I use for my spaghetti sauce or over chicken parm, etc. It's really good but has a little kick to it!

I definitely think you need tomato paste. I buy mine in a tube, which is great because it comes from Italy, and you can squeeze out just what you need and put the cap back on for later. I just saute onions, peppers, in olive oil, throw in some cans of diced tomatoes (I prefer fire roasted ones), some mushrooms canned or sliced raw, and some tomato paste. Amounts depend on how much you are trying to make. You can also add meat before the vegetables if you want, or anything else you want in pasta, like cooked shrimp just at the end. When I boil my noodles, after I put them in the strainer to drain, I put them back into the hot pan they cooked in. This tends to dry up any remaining water on them, that may be why you are getting water in your plate.

And I don't cook it all that long. You can make this quickly, but the longer you cook it on low, the flavor gets more intense and blended.
    Last edited by NoDayButToday; November 10th, 2005 at 11:19 AM.
    Keep passing the open windows.

Thanks you guys. I do use tomato paste along with the puree and chunky tomatoes. I will try each recipe given.
    NoDayButToday I would like to try your mom's recipe also.
    Thanks again

Thread Information