Thread: Cheddar chive biscuits

Default Cheddar chive biscuits

These sound sooooo good.
    Food for Thought - a Foodtv.ca blog - RECIPE: Linda Hayne's Cheddar Chive Biscuits
    Cheddar Chive Biscuits
    Makes 12 Biscuits
    (from Linda Haynes's More from ACE Bakery: Recipes For and With Bread (courtesy of Whitecap)

Don’t stint on the quality of cheddar you use in this recipe. And make sure it is aged and has a bit of bite. I suggest you do a taste test to make sure you are happy with the flavour before you start baking. I like to pile scrambled eggs on top of these biscuits for a quick and tasty breakfast.

INGREDIENTS:
    2 ¾ cups (660 ml) unbleached all-purpose flour
    1 ½tsp. (7.5 ml) baking powder
    ¼ tsp. (1.2 ml) cayenne pepper
    1 ½ tsp. (7.5 ml) kosher salt
    ¾ cup (180 ml) cold unsalted butter, cut into ¼ inch (6 mm) cubes
    2 cups (475 ml) lightly packed, finely grated 2 to 3 year old white cheddar + ¼ cup (60 ml) for topping
    ¼ cup (60 ml) minced fresh chives
    1 cup + 2 Tbsp. (270 ml) 18% cream

Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C)

Sift the flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt together in a bowl large enough to hold all the ingredients.

Using a pastry cutter, two knives, or your fingers, combine the butter with the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles coarse meal.

Add 2 cups (475 ml) cheese and the chives to the flour mixture and mix in gently with a fork.

Add ½ cup (120 ml) of the cream and mix with your hands or a fork. Add another ½ cup (120 ml) cream and continue mixing. Add up to 2 Tbsp. (30 ml) more cream if needed to keep the dough just together but not too sticky.

Shape the dough into a ball, and on a surface lightly dusted with flour, roll out into a ¾ inch (1.9 cm) thick round. Using a 2 ½ inch (6.2 cm) diameter round cookie cutter, cut out as many scones as possible and place on an un-greased cookie sheet. Gather the remaining dough together into a ball and repeat the rolling out and cutting process, always being careful to handle the dough as little as possible.

Bake for 15 minutes, rotate the cookie sheet, and sprinkle each biscuit with the remaining cheddar cheese. Bake for about 10 minutes more or until the tops are golden. Transfer the biscuits to a cooling rack for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.

Linda’s Tip:

This dough can be made ahead of time and frozen—just defrost overnight in the refrigerator before cutting out the biscuits and baking. If you want to bake them while still cold, but not frozen, increase the oven temperature to 400°F (200°C).

I'm most definately trying this recipe out!
    I already know my boyfriend won't try it out.
    He won't like the idea of chives in a biscuit.
    He's weird.
    Dont Feed The Models
    JuicyLucy

Thread Information