Thread: Tarte tatin

Default Tarte tatin

Tarte tatin (thanks to Matt)

The home made "Tarte Tatin" (this one just makes me crazy when I see one on the table...)

Butter and flower a tart mold

Place apple pieces directly on the mold. Usually for an apple tart, the apple pieces are pretty thin and tight on the tart. This time you want to cut them in medium size pieces and place them quite tight, but not as tight as in a normal tart.

Nothing very difficult so far. Agree? Ok let's keep going:

In a saucepan, prepare a caramel (375 gramms sugar, 6 soup spoons water. cook it on medium heat 'til it makes bubbles and let a nice and light brown color appear. Once it is there, remove immediately otherwise you burn it)

Once your caramel is done, immediately pour it over your tart so that it covers it, that it goes everywhere in the mold.

Place a tart pastry on top of the mold, and make some little holes in it to avoid it moving during its stay in the oven.

Time is around 20 to 40 minutes in the oven at 220°C (which for you US guys is around 428°F).

Take it Off the oven the oven and turn it out on a nice plate. You will discover a superb tart where apples are slightly translucid but deep gold... It is absolutely fabulous! You can serve it slightly warm, with some vanilla ice cream. Another way also is to eat it flambé (I think it is the appropriate word in english) with Armagnac: in a sauce pan, heat some armagnac, pour it over the tart slice, light it, woosh it goes (pay attention), pour it again and againe from the bottom of the plate onto the top of the slice so that all the acohol is burnt and that only the flavor stays...

I just realized how difficult it is to give out a receipe in english... So many technical terms... I hoe it was clear, if not here is a little synthesis:

Butter and flower a tart mold
    Place apple pieces directly on the mold (medium size pieces and place them quite tight, but not as tight as in a normal tart)
    In a saucepan, prepare a caramel
    Once it is done, immediately pour it over your tart so that it covers it, that it goes everywhere in the mold.
    Place a tart pastry on top of the mold, and make some little holes in it to avoid it moving during its stay in the oven.
    Cooking time is around 20 to 40 minutes in the oven at 220°C (which for you US guys is around 428°F).
    Take it Off the oven the oven and turn it out on a nice plate
    You can serve it slightly warm, with some vanilla ice cream. Another way also is to eat it flambé

Name of the receipe:

Tarte tatin traditionnelle et sa glace vanille (if you have it with Ice cream)
    Tarte tatin traditionnelle flambée à l'Armagnac (if you have it flambé)
    Tarte Tatin traditionnelle flambée à l'Armagnac et sa glace vanille (If you have it flambé with ice cream)

If you feel it's feasible, let me know if you've been successful!!

Matt

mmmm i should try that sometime. i love a good tarte tatin. there's a place near my office that makes the best i've ever had and sometimes i go there and have dessert for lunch. with their home made vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thank you Pacific Breeze!!

It is sooo good!! Just because I had written this in here I made on the week end... It was great...
    C'est en potant qu'on devient potiron

mmm i just had some after lunch. it was someone's birthday at the office so we went out for lunch and i had the most amazing tarte tatin with vanilla ice cream. even though i'd had a huge plate of tagliatelle with fresh morels. my lunch was a total carbfest, i now feel disgusting. but it was worth it
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Thread Information